SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carrying your car keys and drawing your pistol- do you give this any thought?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying your car keys and drawing your pistol- do you give this any thought? Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
To be honest I have given it quite a bit of thought over the last 30 years. I realized a long time ago that awareness is a key element to everyday life, and that I need two hands to do everything all day long.

Instead of trying to change the position of my wallet, keys, phone, etc, I’ve changed my awareness of the surroundings. That just seems better for me to go about my day to do things.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's definitely a good thought and something worth putting in the effort to change.

I've been doing the cop thing for going on 13 years now, and my FTO back in the day (now my Sgt) was also a STOPS instructor. He is a former Navy petty officer, very particular, and one terrifying SOB when he's upset with you... especially back then. I quickly learned not to incur his wrath by holding stuff in my right hand!

These days I always carry stuff in my left hand, my wife walks on my left side, and my wallet and keys live in my left pocket.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it, I'm left-handed, but because the driver's door is closer to my right side, I carry my keys in my right pocket, use my right hand to unlock doors, and use my left hand to open whatever door I'm unlocking.

In answer to the question, up until just now, I've never really thought about it.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Used to carry wallet in back pocket, keys in right front being right handed. Once I moved to CA and spent time in SF I was advised, wallet up front, keys in left front. Since then that setup has continued to be normal.

Motorcycle does have a fob, and I hook it to a belt loop on my left side and into a pocket, in case the loop fails, fobs are not cheap. Started doing this for that very reason to have my right hand free for defensive purposes.

Wallet in front right, Keys in front left.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Being right-handed I carry strong side so I also do think all the time about making sure I carry other items like briefcase, grocery bags, etc., in my left hand.

However there are times wherein I need to carry such items with both hands. When that happens I make sure the breakables like eggs, etc are in my left hand as anything in my right hand will definitely get dropped/thrown.

As to car keys even our oldest vehicle, a 2002 Ford Ranger, has a key fob. The keys remain in my pocket until I am close enough that the fob will work and then the keys go back into my pocket.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often think of this as well. I will most likely, if I have to draw in a hurry, will need 2 hands-one to lift the shirt out of the way and my right to pull my firearm. I try to tell myself whatever I have in my hands is not worth my life or that of a family member, so I hope and pray if the need arises, I will keep my cool and not lose focus in the situation. I actually practice in my head when I am outside/inside of my home of what I should do.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Used to carry wallet in back pocket, keys in right front being right handed. Once I moved to CA and spent time in SF I was advised, wallet up front, keys in left front. Since then that setup has continued to be normal.

Wallet in front right, Keys in front left.

Keys & Olight front left
Phone & Kershaw front right
Wallet back right

If/when I'm in a more crowded place, I'll move my wallet to the front right, even though it's a bit tight with the phone sharing a pocket.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
I would suggest leaving your keys in your pocket until you get to your vehicle, have a good look around, then unlock.

This is what I have always done.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Made a conscious effort when I got my CCW permit to always carry drinks, keys, etc in my left hand to leave the right free to draw.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I keep my dominant hand free. In Alaska, on ice, I do my best to keep both hands free. Falling hurts. I carry a bag of some sort wherever I go, and when shopping, push a cart to the vehicle.

I see that many others have commented the same. I was trying to figure out where I learned this...Gustofer nailed it. It was taught in basic to keep the right hand free for saluting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my keys in my left pocket. Helps keep them out of my right hand.

Posts: 423 | Location: Highlands Ranch, CO | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my keys on a Beltman key keeper and right hand free until I’m close enough to touch. Always scan around before unlocking and jumping in. Lock up immediately, then start and go. No loitering.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
With GM products, you don't need to unlock the vehicle with the fob, if it's on you the vehicle will unlock after you depress a button on the handle as long as the fob is in range.

This works great, no fob to hold means a free hand.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

With GM products, you don't need to unlock the vehicle with the fob, if it's on you the vehicle will unlock after you depress a button on the handle as long as the fob is in range.

This works great, no fob to hold means a free hand.
My wife's RAV4 works the same way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When walking to my truck, I have the bad habit of carrying my keys in my right hand. I am right-handed. I open the door with my right hand and of course turn the ignition with my right hand.

This question is for those of us who don't have "key fobs" or Bluetooth whatever or ask Alexa to start your car.

Do you give this any thought? I have to remind myself "Keys, left hand. Keys, left hand."

Well just drop your keys if you need to draw, yes? Yes, and therein lies the problem- your car keys on the ground and the problems that may arise from this.

What are your thought?

I normally leave my keys in my right hand pants pocket. Pull them out when I get close enough to the car so the distant "unlock" button works.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I used to handle my keys with my right hand but cured myself of it by pocket-carrying my LCP most of the time. Since it resides in the right front pocket, I was forced to switch to the left front pocket for my keys, knife, etc., and after many months of doing so I now handle my keys left-handed automatically without forethought.

When I carry one of my SIGs IWB, I still keep my keys in my left front pocket so that I do not have to rethink anything.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When walking to my truck, I have the bad habit of carrying my keys in my right hand. I am right-handed. I open the door with my right hand and of course turn the ignition with my right hand.

This question is for those of us who don't have "key fobs" or Bluetooth whatever or ask Alexa to start your car.

Do you give this any thought? I have to remind myself "Keys, left hand. Keys, left hand."

Well just drop your keys if you need to draw, yes? Yes, and therein lies the problem- your car keys on the ground and the problems that may arise from this.

What are your thought?

Para, you need a Porsche 911. It forces me to carry the key in my left hand because the key goes on the left side of the steering wheel.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I keep my keys in my left front pocket and unlock the car door with my left hand.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Truth be told I’ve never given it any thought for this situation, but after reading that academies teach keep your right hand open, I do mostly use my left hand for carrying objects, as in the military you have to do so so the right hand is free to salute.

I’ll likely give it a little more thought when I’m civilian attire as well.

One of those things that may not be extremely important but costs nothing and can’t hurt.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post