SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carrying your car keys and drawing your pistol- do you give this any thought?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying your car keys and drawing your pistol- do you give this any thought? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I learned to carry stuff with the left hand in the USN, kept the habit when I got out, and have been mindful of it since concealed carry became legal.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If at all possible my right hand is always free in a parking lot and anywhere else for that matter. A few years ago I was carrying a bag across a poorly lit parking lot with the bag in my right hand. It hit me then that I should probably keep that hand free and I have since. My truck unlocks when I grab the handle but I carry my keys in my left pocket anyway.

Posts: 3461 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Keys in left hand, but sometimes you might have use both when carrying stuff. Next time at the range maybe practice dropping and drawing to develop muscle memory (can also do at home with an empty firearm.) Before I retired we used to practice dropping objects like ticket books and getting rounds off.

Agree that strong situational awareness will identify possible threats early and dictate the appropriate response.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15606 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Another situation to keep in mind is when you are out with your wife or girlfriend and they have a tendency to want to hold hands or hook their arm through yours. That's all fine and good, but just make sure it's not your gun hand they are holding.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
I would suggest leaving your keys in your pocket until you get to your vehicle, have a good look around, then unlock.
This is me. Same for my wallet. Ive seen people pull out a wallet full of cash in places full of less than good people. I always stage some cash in a pocket so my wallet never comes out.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Left hand carry was taught to me as a cop, too. My car has a proximity key so no key carry needed now. I also keep my cash / credit cards separate from my wallet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have to continually remind myself to carry in my left hand too. I've also thought about what to do when pushing that shopping cart full of groceries. It takes two hands to keep it going straight.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not thought about it until now.
I suppose now that I think about it that I would just drop what's in my right hand and then draw but as you said, that could present more problems.
Since things like this get stuck in my head very easily, I'm going to have to devise a method for tomorrow morning when I get to work. It'll be dark and it's in a not so good neighborhood.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Another situation to keep in mind is when you are out with your wife or girlfriend and they have a tendency to want to hold hands or hook their arm through yours. That's all fine and good, but just make sure it's not your gun hand they are holding.

^^^ This.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2010 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Like many others here - drilled in at boot camp.
Right hand is always free.
Whether for saluting or killing - right hand is free.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Not keys, because I do have a fob, but anything else I'm carrying I'll consciously shift it to my left hand, or if it's not possible to carry everything in my left hand I'll think about how easy it would be to drop or throw.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I clip my keys to my belt the instant I am out of the car. Been a habit since I was 15 so I won't misplace my keys.

I do this as well, on my left side, and I only use my left hand for my keys. Grocery bags also go in the left hand.

Posts: 17172 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since I write with my left hand, (but do most other things right handed) my keys stay in my left pocket and hand until I open the door and sit. Just kinda comes naturally for some reason.
Since I started carrying, I've tried to focus more on my surroundings well before I approach my car or other areas of concern.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always advise the chicks in my life that if they see me reaching for my artillery, to get far away from me, quick.
Could explain me being being single now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My car has proximity key fobs and I have them set to automatically unlock when I grab the door handle. Also automatically lock when I walk away from the car.

So no need to have keys in hand. But prior to that I never really thought about it. I am left handed and keep my keys in my front left pocket and used them left handed. My phone is in my right front pocket. I hold my phone with my right hand and use left index finger on the touch screen. I can't do the two thumbs thing at all.

Always carry things with weak hand, I've got to start thinking about that...

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Another lefty who shoots right-handed, so that particular problem is not an issue. But there's good advice here about situational awareness.

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll just drop my keys while drawing my Pistol. If I draw my pistol, there are bigger problems to overcome than my truck keys now on the ground. So, while I habitually carry most things in my left hand, I don't give this much thought unless I'm in what I consider to be a sketchy place e.g., Home Depot, WalMart or downtown Seattle.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I try to keep everything in my left hand to keep my right free, but sometimes I’m carrying too much stuff. I’m those cases I’m very conscious of the fact that my right hand is full and am ready to drop anything to draw.

If my keys are out they are in my left hand, but I keep two sets on my at all times, one in each pocket. I don’t do that for any tactical reason, I do it to keep from being locked out of my car, but it does allow me to get keys with either hand if I have to.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In police school they beat it into us that nothing goes in your gun hand

I limit anything my right hand

ETA, I clip my keys to a left hip belt loop with a carabiner, I can hit the button to enter the truck and then immediately lock the truck.

If I’m walking with Mrs mike and she wants to hold my hand it’s always the left hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Our only car has an electronic proximity system that unlocks if I have the keys in my pocket and I touch the door handle. I do think about when I'm carrying something other than keys, like a bag of groceries.

I always always visually scan the area while walking to/from my car. The transition in and out of the car is a huge vulnerable moment, as is having the trunk lid open and handling things in there.

Posts: 9463 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post