SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carrying your car keys and drawing your pistol- do you give this any thought?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying your car keys and drawing your pistol- do you give this any thought? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
When walking to my truck, I have the bad habit of carrying my keys in my right hand. I am right-handed. I open the door with my right hand and of course turn the ignition with my right hand.

This question is for those of us who don't have "key fobs" or Bluetooth whatever or ask Alexa to start your car.

Do you give this any thought? I have to remind myself "Keys, left hand. Keys, left hand."

Well just drop your keys if you need to draw, yes? Yes, and therein lies the problem- your car keys on the ground and the problems that may arise from this.

What are your thought?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It's a good thought. On my after dark walks in a few cities in South America without a sidearm, I carried the skeleton key from my apartment in my left hand between my finders protruding as a striking weapon and my trusty Emerson CQC-7 in my right (in the folded position in a closed fist). Never had an issue...even after dark, nobody messed with me. (Safer than downtown Atlanta in daylight, in which I've had to actively avoid muggers more than a few times.)

Yes, key in the weak hand for sure to leave the other ready

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It was drilled into me from the start of my law enforcement career that it's better to carry items in my left hand. After a period of constantly having to remind myself, it quickly became second nature. Just be consistent, and soon enough you won't have to think about it, you'll just do it.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the academy in 1985 it was drilled into us to never carry anything in your gun hand. From that point I almost never carry anything in my right hand. It’s just habit.

I see someone else posted the same while I was typing.

Posts: 756 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I clip my keys to my belt the instant I am out of the car. Been a habit since I was 15 so I won't misplace my keys.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I also changed my carry methods after the academy. My plan is what ever may be in the left hand to toss it into the actors face area as a distraction and then draw my weapon.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have thought about this and make it a point to keep my right hand free.

Keep nothing in the right hand that can't be discarded. For example, coffee cup, water bottle, etc.

Walking the dogs, use the left hand for the leash.
Head to the car, keys in the left hand.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I clip my keys to my belt the instant I am out of the car. Been a habit since I was 15 so I won't misplace my keys.

That's what I do.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I try to make it a habit to never carry anything in my right hand. About 2 weeks ago my wife and I were at the mall. I see in the distance a person approaching random people in the parking lot. At that point I have my keys in my left hand with my thumb resting on the panic button on my key fob.
He eventually approached us looking for money then moved on to the next person in the parking lot.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yes, I too must remind myself. It is not only car keys. Also the bag of groceries, or the auto parts you just bought....left hand, left hand, left hand.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Before both cars having keyless entry/start, keys were always in my left hand. But, I'm also left-handed, but shoot right handed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest leaving your keys in your pocket until you get to your vehicle, have a good look around, then unlock.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I never really thought of this being one of the advantages of the push-button start on my Tacoma- I never have to take my keys out, so my gun hand is free.

Even before I had this, I kept my keys in my left front pocket. I still do as a habit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Not only have I obsessed about this very thing for the last couple decades, I've taken my habit to an almost ridiculous level.

Even though I'm right handed and carry strong side, I've wondered why my left bicep is more developed. It didn't make sense to me why this would be, until a realization occurred to me just last year.

I have to park my vehicle @ 80-90 yards from my front door, so while bringing in groceries or other heavy objects, with a daypack loaded down with whatever I can stash in it, + a laptop slung over my left shoulder so I can clear concealment clothing and leather on a right hand draw, my left arm has been carrying way more weight over a distance for a lotta years now.

On rare occasions I try to risk carrying weight in my right hand in an effort to balance muscle development out...but I feel so vulnerable doing this.

quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

That's what I do.

Yeah, I used to do that too. My problem now is that between all the clothing I wear, the lack of a good place to clip my keys too... and in recent years I've added extra mags + a carry knife + pepper spray... so I'm running out of belt or pants real estate to which I can access everything and still have access to my keys.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of relearning how to keep my right hand free. I'm also right handed and tend to carry things in my right hand. Probably a year ago I realized a detail like that could cost me time and coordination which makes me unnecessarily vulnerable. I still catch myself occupying my right hand when my left hand is free so I swap hands and make a mental note. I know to some it might sound crazy but it makes sense to me.

Another thing I've been doing for years is choosing my body position in public places so I can see what and who is coming from where and how we'll escape should the worst happen. I also casually watch who is around me. If I ever have to get in a line at the bank, I stand sideways. I leave space between my car and the car in front of me at intersections and drive-thru lines. I live in a peaceful, extremely low crime area. But that is not always an advantage since when one feels safe he tends to relax awareness and defense postures.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When walking to my truck, I have the bad habit of carrying my keys in my right hand. I am right-handed. I open the door with my right hand and of course turn the ignition with my right hand.

This question is for those of us who don't have "key fobs" ...
My keys are carried clipped to a belt loop on my left. Have been for three decades or more. Thus I tend to use them left-handed. (I am right-handed, but, mildly ambidextrous.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Old habit from the Army days. Always keep the right hand free in case you need to salute.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
years ago I read a report on how 'targets' are chosen. It noted that many are chosen based on situational awareness (lack of) and the carrying of packages, purse etc. But if they had their head on a swivel and keys in hand they passed them by and looked for another.

I started thinking about myself. I never walk to my car with my phone out. And my keys in my left hand, and I try to always be looking around. I do not try to be obvious about it, and mostly it probably looks like I am checking out the various trucks and such (which I am).

Anyway, I walk with my phone put away, my keys in my left hand. Oh, and my pocket flashlight is always on my left side.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hadn't considered it, but just reviewed how I normally get in the car.

My right hand is always free because I use it to shield the knife pocket clip on my right pant pocket as I enter the vehicle. As I get settled, I also use my right hand to move my phone from my back pocket into the cupholder.

When I have a gun, I also use my right hand to move the gun further back into the 4:00 position to avoid the seat bolster.

All in all, my right hand is free because I'm doing all sorts of shifting around as I approach the vehicle.

I've had push to start vehicles for a long time however...

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
It is not just my car keys. Seems I'm almost always carrying something, and being right handed I tend to carry whatever in my right hand. That is of course is not a good idea.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post