SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me pick a knife for my daughter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a knife for my daughter Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
For a basic folder I'd say a Spyderco Delica. If a Leatherman sounds like a better idea, I can wholly recommend the Skeletool CX.

I would vote for one of each, a knife AND a multitool.

I tend to think of a knife as just that, an edged tool used for cutting. While Leathermans have knife blades, they do not excel as knives - they are often big, cumbersone and slow to deploy. Spyderco Delica is my everyday knife- I am a fan of the combo edge. I keep various Leathermans around either in vehicles, luggage, at work - places i may not have access to more tools. A Leatherman Supertool covers a lot of bases as far as multitools go.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My Gerber Covert Folder is big enough to get a real grip on it. Not thick and chunky, but smooth. I'll use it as a tool knife on some jobs where I know it will not disappear.

My Leek was bought as a 'dress knife' but it is too small for rough work. I last used it to take apart an old fiddle, working its thin blade into the loose seams and popping them apart.

I've also got an import Kershaw for beat-up work. A true beater, got it for free, and it is a worker.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
For a basic folder I'd say a Spyderco Delica. If a Leatherman sounds like a better idea, I can wholly recommend the Skeletool CX.

I would vote for one of each, a knife AND a multitool.

I tend to think of a knife as just that, an edged tool used for cutting. While Leathermans have knife blades, they do not excel as knives - they are often big, cumbersone and slow to deploy. Spyderco Delica is my everyday knife- I am a fan of the combo edge. I keep various Leathermans around either in vehicles, luggage, at work - places i may not have access to more tools. A Leatherman Supertool covers a lot of bases as far as multitools go.

True for most, but the Skeletool design makes the knife blade a design priority, opens and locks as quickly and easily as my Spyderco, and has functioned as my daily utility blade for years now.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kershaw Leek is a good USA made blade, Spyderco Delica is another good blade (some not made in the USA).
Can't go wrong with either.

Lateck,

P220R-45-EQ, P226R-40, P229R-9-SCT, P239-357-SAS2B, P365-9-BXR3 plus some Ruger's.

Posts: 265 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
My daughter is in ROTC, and she was told in class that she should always carry a knife with her. I don't know if this is a requirement of ROTC, or just good advice, but I thought it might be nice to get her one for Christmas.

Since I'm not a knife guy, please help me select something suitable for her. My only requirement is the knife must be made in the USA, and cost less than $100. Where is a good place to buy?

Thanks

The first place I'd suggest you look is at Big 5 Sporting Goods in American Fork. They usually have some great deals on good knives and often have coupons you can combine with sale prices. My favorite knives from Big 5 are the H&K/Benchmades that were made exclusively for them and were often on sale for less than $20.00, but I think they've since discontinued them. Fantastic knives for the money if you can find them and you're not out much WHEN it gets lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fY4fXuMxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_khI3fNaIj8

Blade HQ is located in Pleasant Grove, Utah, so you can also check out their website online and then go talk to them, but Big 5 will be far less expensive.

https://www.bladehq.com/

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
Benchmade Mini Griptilian

This. Lifetime warranty and free sharpening for the life of the knife plus US made. I don't care for the serrated blades but that is just me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My favourite knife these days is my little Spyderco CatG-10. Blade length under 2-1/2" means it's legal in more areas than others. It's small & light, yet plenty grippy--even in my big paws. Easy un-assisted one-hand opening. Positive liner lock that makes it also easy to one-hand close and re-pocket. Blade is "only" 440C or similar steel, but those are "ok" steels if properly treated, IMO. Buries deep with an inconspicuous wire clip. (Side-to-side reversible, but tip-up only.) Leaf blade profile is very utilitarian, very beefy, and very non-threatening-looking.

I bought mine for our trip to Europe, earlier this year. One of my brothers-in-law liked it so well I gifted it to him before we left for home. I liked it so much I bought myself another when I got back.

It is not, however, made in the U.S. Sorry.

Get her a Spyderco Sharpmaker to go with it, so she can keep it sharp. The two, together, will just slightly break your $100 budget.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My daughter loved the purple anodized Kershaw I gave her. Lots of swirling colors.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Kershaw Leek

Made in USA, well under $100, easy one handed operation, light weight and small. It's an inexpensive knife, but great value. Also if she loses it, it's not a great tragedy.

I'm no knife guy, but I've had one for years and like it very much, other members may have better suggestions.

Also it's spring assisted so depending on local laws may not be allowed.

I'm not a 'knife guy' either but I also love the Kershaw knives.

This Kershaw Cryo II is a great deal. I carry one and gave one to my daughter as well.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4x5, your daughter marches to her own beat as evidenced by being in the ROTC.
Personally, I would not buy her a knife without her input. There are many good suggestions here to show her.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:

This knife. I have given one to my brother, daughter, granddaughter, wife and this Thanksgiving, at The Gathering, I will give one to my very liberal SIL just to see the look on her face.

I like the axis lock on this knife. I think it is the most secure lock available, just short of carrying a fixed blade. The guarantee and life time sharpening are icing.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, you've given some excellent suggestions. And thanks, sig operator, that would probably be a good idea Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My daughter was admonished to get her own Gerber after a day spent clearing problems with a ma deuce.

I picked out a comparable Leatherman ( front deploy pliers ). She has been quite pleased with it.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
I love the Gerber Mini Paraframe knives for everyday, but maybe it is not a large enough knife for what you are looking for. Amazon has the fine blades on sale right now for $5.98! I have always purchased the half serrated in the past, but I am ordering a couple of these for that price. From what info I am finding, they were originally made in Finland, but now also made in Oregon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
My daughter was admonished to get her own Gerber after a day spent clearing problems with a ma deuce.

I picked out a comparable Leatherman ( front deploy pliers ). She has been quite pleased with it.

It’s pretty handy for removing the Jesus pin. A gerber really should be issued to everyone as well as a ka-bar

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
quote:

This knife. I have given one to my brother, daughter, granddaughter, wife and this Thanksgiving, at The Gathering, I will give one to my very liberal SIL just to see the look on her face.

I like the axis lock on this knife. I think it is the most secure lock available, just short of carrying a fixed blade. The guarantee and life time sharpening are icing.

+1 love mine

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Your second paragraph is not the same as the law quoted below. You left out the fixed blade part.
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Thanks for correcting me SLOsig! I was thinking about the K-12 law when writing about the College law.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I'd be lost w/out my Benchmade mini barrage

Me too, but I'd second the Leatherman type. Multi-tools are really good to have around.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my. Father a Kershaw Launch 5 (I think what ever the small CA LEGAL one is) for like 80 dollars. It is slim and unobtrusive but has a nice snap to it. Of course this depends on where she is going to school and the local laws on autos.

Jd

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Leek. And it won't cause a bulge in a uniform pocket.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post