SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me pick a knife for my daughter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a knife for my daughter Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My daughters first knife was a Leek with coral scales. Gave her that and a standard leek, she will have forever.

She now collects knives too Wink

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
I carry the Benchmade Mini Grip without serrations.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
4x5, your daughter marches to her own beat as evidenced by being in the ROTC.
Personally, I would not buy her a knife without her input. There are many good suggestions here to show her.

This^^^

Which branch is she in? What occupational field does she plan to specialize in? What colors does she like? Would she prefer a pair of pliers that happens to also have a blade on it or a knife that has some additional tools?

What does she consider, "always carry a knife"? Does that include when she's PT-ing in shorts and t-shirt and something she can comfortably EDC in yoga pants?

A few suggestions - these are 'Hall of Fame' caliber knives in terms of quality and popularity, made in USA, <$100, and thin & light enough to clip inside running shorts.

Kershaw Leek - so popular, it has over a hundred variants. It is as another member put, a dress knife. The tip is very thin and easy to break. It's more like a scalpel and letter opener. Hard use outdoors will break the blade.

Kershaw Skyline - lighter than a Leek and almost as thin, but w/ a much more rugged blade suitable for outdoors usage.

Benchmade Mini Griptillian - great knife that barely sneaks under the $100 cutoff. A little thick compared to the others here though.

Spyderco Delica 4 - the knife that put Spyderco on the map and changed the face of EDC knives.

Syderco Endura 4 - if you want larger than the Delica

IMO, all the above are can't-miss selections. A few more I like that are less well-known are:

Kershaw OD-1 - out of production and hard to find. Similar to the Leek but w/ sturdier blade and w/o spring-assist opening. It has a unique opening system that's as fast as Speedsafe yet doesn't require wrist flicking action.

HK/Benchmade Ally - very compact knife that also has a glass-breaking tip

SOG Twitch II - gentleman's knife alternative to the Leek

If you open up your selection to knives made outside USA, the choices are staggering. There are great knives coming out of Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Taiwan, and even China.

BTW, you might consider cross-posting your inquiry in 'The Essential Edge'.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Spyderco endura, light and easy to replace and damned near bomb proof. That and a multitool will do 90% of what she needs. I have plenty of custom blades but when hunting the endura goes in my pocket or the H1 hawksbill.

When she graduates then a nice field knife.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Kershaw Leek

Made in USA, well under $100, easy one handed operation, light weight and small. It's an inexpensive knife, but great value. Also if she loses it, it's not a great tragedy.

I'm no knife guy, but I've had one for years and like it very much, other members may have better suggestions.

Also it's spring assisted so depending on local laws may not be allowed.

This is my EDC and I couldn't be more pleased. And this coming from a guy who likes the Benchmades....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If you do get a Leek consider getting it engraved...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D...e8-8731-197ef284cbe4

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do Not Let Her look at Elkabong's black friday WTS ad in the classifieds.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The Smoky Mountain Knife Works has the Kershaw BlackWash Composite Blade Leek on sale for $54.99

Seemed like a good deal.
Didn’t know I needed a knife, but it seems like a nice knife and a good price.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post