SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me pick a knife for my daughter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a knife for my daughter Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My daughter is in ROTC, and she was told in class that she should always carry a knife with her. I don't know if this is a requirement of ROTC, or just good advice, but I thought it might be nice to get her one for Christmas.

Since I'm not a knife guy, please help me select something suitable for her. My only requirement is the knife must be made in the USA, and cost less than $100. Where is a good place to buy?

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The world of knives is a very big world. What do you surmise the purpose of this knife to be? Unless it’s a self-defense weapon, I’d suggest something like a Victorinox Swiss Army “Climber” or “Huntsman”. I find that I use the various tools on one of those about as much as the blades. Not US made, but very good quality for the money (around $40) and not some piece of chinese made crap.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROTC, I'm assuming she's looking at going on to Active or Reserves later on.

Honestly, I'd look at a Leatherman, or similar multi-tool (SOG, Gerber)
Knife, screwdrivers, plyers, file... Pretty much everything you need to get into or out of trouble.

A good Swiss Army knife would be a real close second choice.

She'd get more use out of either one of those, then just a knife.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
ROTC, I'm assuming she's looking at going on to Active or Reserves later on.

Honestly, I'd look at a Leatherman, or similar multi-tool

She'd get more use out of either one of those, then just a knife.

I still have some REVS for sale as well as a lot of various CRKT's....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Check your State laws and University policies about knives on campus.

In CA, knives longer than 2 1/2 inches are illegal on Private or Public Colleges & Universities and in addition to State law the College may have additional restrictions.

I'm sure the last thing you want to derail is her discipline record for having a knife on campus.

CA Penal Code 626.10
2(b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer...who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Kershaw Leek

Made in USA, well under $100, easy one handed operation, light weight and small. It's an inexpensive knife, but great value. Also if she loses it, it's not a great tragedy.

I'm no knife guy, but I've had one for years and like it very much, other members may have better suggestions.

Also it's spring assisted so depending on local laws may not be allowed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20817 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Skins2881 makes a good suggestion.

Light weight slim and practical.
Something she can easily carry.

I have the Kershaw Scallion, but the Leek and Chive are nice as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimber1911,

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Benchmade 530 Pardue is light, slim, elegant; I believe the blade length qualifies per above post.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Although my EDC is a Swiss Army "Tinker", they are not made in the USA.

Take a look at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks or even Blade HQ

I'm sure that you'll find something to your liking.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd be lost w/out my Benchmade mini barrage

https://www.amazon.com/Benchma...nchmade+mini+barrage

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Your second paragraph is not the same as the law quoted below. You left out the fixed blade part.

quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Check your State laws and University policies about knives on campus.

In CA, knives longer than 2 1/2 inches are illegal on Private or Public Colleges & Universities and in addition to State law the College may have additional restrictions.

I'm sure the last thing you want to derail is her discipline record for having a knife on campus.

CA Penal Code 626.10
2(b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer...who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
For a basic folder I'd say a Spyderco Delica. If a Leatherman sounds like a better idea, I can wholly recommend the Skeletool CX.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
My daughter is in ROTC, and she was told in class that she should always carry a knife with her. I don't know if this is a requirement of ROTC, or just good advice, but I thought it might be nice to get her one for Christmas.

Since I'm not a knife guy, please help me select something suitable for her. My only requirement is the knife must be made in the USA, and cost less than $100. Where is a good place to buy?

Thanks

I'm also an ROTC grad...and active duty for the last 24-ish years. Two things I've attempted to instill into junior officers, NCOs--always carry a knife, always carry a small light.

The former is subject to where you work (i.e. any place with a metal detector), the latter always=always. With the exception listed above, I've always carried a knife--and I've carried different types of knives. Usually it's been a form of folding knife (fixed blade is usually on LBE or body armor, Strider DB-L). My leatherman is either on a belt or in a bag; I used to carry one a lot of the time, but it was easier to carry a folding knife.

For a flashlight, a single AA/AAA/123A/CR2035 flashlight will do the trick. Think working in an interior office without windows, or a day exercise turns to dusk/night--it's kept in a small pocket until needed.

PM me if you have further questions.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d get her a Gerber And a good folder. A crkt is a good knife for the money, I had one and a gerber that I used the shit out of. I’ll never buy leatherman again.. had one that lasted a few months before I broke half of the tools off it since it was made of MIM

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I carry a Victorianox Swiss Army Knife that has the standard 4 tools.

Has served me well for 40+ years.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Kershaw Leek, looks perfect and it fits your criteria. Depending on the one you choose you'd have enough left for a small flashlight.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
knife for my daughter

Check out the Victorinox series of locking knives. You can't beat any SAK as a first knife but if you are dead set on a locking blade the Victorinox liner lock is designed for lefties! I have a one handed trekker but there are also some models that are not one handed. Just google it or look on Amazon as they seem to have them all.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which branch? If it's a water service, check out Myerchin.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
Benchmade Mini Griptilian

This is a fine knife. I have both the Mini and full-sized Griptilians. The Mini's blade is under 3", therefore legal in most states.

If she just needs a pocket knife for utility work, the Gerber STL 2.0 is a wonderful bargain at <$14. Though it is made in China, it is exceptionally sharp and useful, and very easy to touch up with a file.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post