SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texans Try Queso from Chipotle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texans Try Queso from Chipotle Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
It's amazing how that video strikes home. Yes, I'm from TX.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Chipotle is decent for what it is.

What it is, though, is not definitive TexMex.

The Chipotle near my home is pretty decent. I like that I can order the "bowls", so I can avoid the tortilla carbs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Here's my go-to version of Velveeta queso. I like it much better than the classic Velveeta and Rotel. It's made in a crockpot/slow cooker, so it's easy to take along with you, and can be kept warm for a long time.

-16 oz. Velveeta Cheese
-1 cup milk (or preferably Half & Half if you have it)
-½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
-2 teaspoons paprika
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 15-oz can no-bean chili
-3 teaspoons chili powder
-2 teaspoons cumin
-juice of 1 or 2 limes (I like mine extra limey, so I use 2)

1. Cut Velveeta cheese into cubes. Add all ingredients to a crockpot/slow cooker. (Putting down one of the slow cooker liner bags first makes cleanup even easier.)

2. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, or on high for 1 hour.

3. Stir until everything comes together. You can serve now, but for best flavor, continue to cook on low for another 30 minutes to an hour before serving.

I'm taking this....

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Can you use a real cheese instead of processed velveeta? Like some version of cheddar?

You can.
My Googlefoo revealed this:

https://www.thrillist.com/reci...ip-thrillist-recipes
That recipe is starting with a bechamel and turning into queso like I posted about earlier.

I also posted another way (sodium citrate)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thanks to RogueJSK for his crockpot queso recipe. That's a keeper!

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chipotle

I'd die of hunger before eating there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I just tried it yesterday and I'll never purchase it again.

quote:

The Chipotle near my home is pretty decent. I like that I can order the "bowls", so I can avoid the tortilla carbs.

That's what I do. I get the veggies instead of rice. It's over priced, but I enjoy one once in a while.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I worked in the real estate department for Chipotle's corporate office in Denver for 3 years. They fired me because 'I didn't have the personality for the team.' Still bitter?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Can you use a real cheese instead of processed velveeta? Like some version of cheddar?

You can.
My Googlefoo revealed this:

https://www.thrillist.com/reci...ip-thrillist-recipes
That recipe is starting with a bechamel and turning into queso like I posted about earlier.

I also posted another way (sodium citrate)

If you make it this way, you need a warming dish, to keep it warm. It solidifies really quickly unless you make it overly liquidly. I have mini crock pot I use to serve it in. I suggest one of these for any time you are serving queso of any type, but especially if you have one made from a roux and real cheese.

I use a 20 year old version of this thing to keep warm while serving.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Some of you are over thinking it. There are three real ingredients and a splash of milk.

Small block of Velveeta
1 can of Rotel drained
1 small can, 8oz, of chili no beans(not that "hotdog sauce" shit)

Cube the Velveeta and throw in a pan with just enough milk to cover the bottom, not too much. Dump in the Rotel and chili and stir until the Velveeta is the consistency of redimix concrete. Serve and enjoy. When it gets hard enough to break a plastic spoon scrape it out of the serving dish, back into the pan, and heat that shit up again.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Some of you are over thinking it. There are three real ingredients and a splash of milk.

Small block of Velveeta
1 can of Rotel drained

Cube the Velveeta and throw in a pan with just enough milk to cover the bottom, not too much. Dump in the Rotel and chili and stir until the Velveeta is the consistency of redimix concrete. Serve and enjoy. When it gets hard enough to break a plastic spoon scrape it out of the serving dish, back into the pan, and heat that shit up again.

Substitute one pound of sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled for the can of chili and you've got it!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Mexican fondue!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Velveeta, Ro☆Tel, and a pound of Owens hot sausage. That's my basic recipe. If I want to spice it a bit, I'll add about a 1/4 cup picante and some chopped jalapeños.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
We've found that the quality of the queso is improved if we use
instead of the normal Rotel.

For game days we also make a batch of Chili Queso by dumping a 14 oz can of Wolf brand chili in with a 2# block of cubed velveeta.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
My daughter uses the basic Velveeta-Rotel recipe but adds about a cup of crumbled cooked sausage. She used venison breakfast sausage the last few times which was excellent and even those that normally turn their noses up a deer meat raved about it. But any good sausage will work except Chorizo which stains the mixture too much and can overpower it. As a kicker add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Tequila and a squeeze of lime. Damn, I'm hungry all of a sudden.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Small block of Velveeta
1 can of Rotel drained

Substitute one pound of sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled for the can of chili and you've got it!
Replace the pork sausage with chorizo, and it's even better.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If you wanted to go uber Texan you'd go down to HEB and pick up a pound of Whatabutger sausage to use in the queso instead of any old brand.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The "non-Texans" in that are funny.

It's always amazing to me that what most people think is SPICY HOT is barely hot at all to me.
I think the majority of people in the north are like that.

As an aside, we used to use Velveeta on our fish hooks for lake trout fishing.

I'm a non Texan and have never even been near Texas. However Saturday I invented what I call Chicken Nachos because I had a craving for Nachos for the Ohio State Game and Tortilla Chips have too many carbs. Actually turned out quite tasty, brush the chicken with some Italian Vinaigrette salad dressing to give a bit if seasoning, preheat at oven to 375, pile on Mexican cheese blend and Sarano Chili slices, and park in it the oven for 25 minutes or so, check the temp of the chicken and if it's 152 or a bit more switch the oven over to broil to brown the cheese and WATCH CLOSELY. End result is a low carb snack that is somewhat spicy and very tasty.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
Velveeta? That's just nasty. We always use Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup. One Two cans of that, one can of Rotel. Add in some sausage as others mentioned if you want. Yumm. And it doesn't turn into a solid when it cools.

Edited because I messed up the simplest recipe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike the Texan,

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheddar doesn't melt right. It separates and gets greasy. That recipe above works because there is only a little cheddar in it. (I am going to try that recipe.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post