SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ridiculous things you see on TV cop shows
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridiculous things you see on TV cop shows Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rolling across a floor shooting a pistol

Posts: 23746 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“my favorite is the 70's detective/cop shows that had each cop, detective or bad guy with a Detective Special , and a snap on or screw on silencer in the other pocket“

And those snubbies were apparently loaded with incendiary ammo that caused any vehicle hit with a single round to plunge off a cliff fully ablaze.

Posts: 27025 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Holding a bad guy at gunpoint with a decocked 1911 for an extended questioning, then when he refuses to answer, cocking the pistol to show you're really serious! or, better yet, racking the slide on any other pistol for the same reason - so you were actually standing there with an empty chamber before huh?

So, you couldn't actually shoot him before this then? Why didn't he just take the pistol from you and beat you to death with it?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
LEOs that always have their finger firmly on the trigger.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
the speed they get any kind of forensics report - apparently it only takes like 5 minutes

Same with any kind of computer search/use - their "expert" types away at a keyboard and searches are performed, pictures pop up, live video is run, graphs are created instantly and pop up, same with maps and GPS locations - instant! All from just typing as fast as you can on a keyboard! Who'd a thunk?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3949 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My brother is an FBI agent. I asked him once what it’s like to work with all those 25-35 year old, smokin’-hot female agents. Wink

Me: It must be trying working next to J.J. Abrams look-a-likes all day, and sometimes night.
Him: Roll Eyes
Me: Certainly only fine women go into law enforcement.

J.J., your typical FBI agent.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8232 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
I had a new front door installed by an excellent contractor. The contractor went over with me the amount of force it would take to brake down the door. So that very night, I'm watching a cop show on TV. The cop is denied entry, so with a single kick he knocks down the door, and charges right in. Pure bullshit. I realized that you actually see that a lot. You really do have to suspend disbelief to watch these shows. What other crazy ridiculous stuff do you see on cop shows? Would love to hear from LEOs or anybody.

Not a LEO but I had to kick down a door a few weeks ago. Took two kicks to defeat both the deadbolt and chain. So a one kick knockdown isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Posts: 6380 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My favorite is when they’re doing some computer forensics of some footage of an image and the cop standing behind the guy at computer says “enhance” and the computer guy takes an image that’s about a dozen pixels and with a few mouse clicks and some inexplicable typing, the image goes up to like, 5k resolution. “Can you zoom in on that license plate nine blocks away?” Then they do and it’s again, about a dozen pixels and the computer guys sits there until the cop says “enhance” again, so more clicking and boom, it looks like someone took the picture from two feet away. All this from some random security camera.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
My brother is an FBI agent. I asked him once what it’s like to work with all those 25-35 year old, smokin’-hot female agents. Wink

Me: It must be trying working next to J.J. Abrams look-a-likes all day, and sometimes night.
Him: Roll Eyes
Me: Certainly only fine women go into law enforcement.

J.J., your typical FBI agent.

Ha! When the show Quantico came out (never watched it but saw the previews) my next door neighbor was in the FBI so I said to him that I watched the show and I now know why people join the FBI! He gave me the same look....rolling eyes....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My favorite is when they’re doing some computer forensics of some footage of an image and the cop standing behind the guy at computer says “enhance” and the computer guy takes an image that’s about a dozen pixels and with a few mouse clicks and some inexplicable typing, the image goes up to like, 5k resolution.

That one drives me crazy the most. You CANNOT "enhance" what's not there!

quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:

Ha! When the show Quantico came out (never watched it but saw the previews) my next door neighbor was in the FBI so I said to him that I watched the show and I now know why people join the FBI! He gave me the same look....rolling eyes....

A few years ago we had a Director that had just retired as Director of the United States Marshals Service and I asked him "Sir, so how do the REAL Marshals compare to that show Justified?"

He just laughed and rolled his eyes a little said said "Not as exciting!" Big Grin

Posts: 34085 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
1960s and 70s cop shows and movies had a lot of suppressed revolvers. Razz Speaking of revolvers, the agents of The F.B.I. series, also from this era, managed to make some pretty incredible distance shots with their snubbies, and only wounded suspects in the arm or shoulder. And because the show was sponsored by Ford, every car in it was a Ford, even those of the villains.

Posts: 28136 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
All those computer experts get what they need by typing real fast, as note above.
They never have a mouse.

Posts: 18186 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Why the bad guys always hesitate when jumping out from behind a door, or whatever, and giving the good guy the chance to nail him.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2097 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
managed to make some pretty incredible distance shots with their snubbies, and only wounded suspects in the arm or shoulder. And because the show was sponsored by Ford, every car in it was a Ford, even those of the villains.

I knew there was a reason not to watch it. It was fiction, so none of them were seen broken down along the road. F(found) O(on) R(road) D(dead).

Unlike Hawaii 50, where all are high performance chevy's, driven by a mad man. On the positive side, you get to hear high performance engines revving.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18392 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Whenever there is a LE shooting in the news one of the details included at the end of the report is that the LEO(s) involved were placed on administrative leave.

I'm not a LEO, so perhaps there is some circumstances or exceptions that would allow it...but the local or federal LEOs depicted in TV shows or movies involved in a shooting sometimes seem to stay on the job or investigation. I would think there would be all sorts of interviews, administrative paperwork, perhaps counselling...and above all, time for the process to play out, but if the movie or episode includes what appears to be a "good shoot", there the LEO(s) are, back on the streets doing their same jobs.

No depositions? No lengthy reports on the incident? No court room appearances? No meetings with the Prosecutor or Union lawyer?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My favorite is when they’re doing some computer forensics of some footage of an image and the cop standing behind the guy at computer says “enhance” and the computer guy takes an image that’s about a dozen pixels and with a few mouse clicks and some inexplicable typing, the image goes up to like, 5k resolution.

That one drives me crazy the most. You CANNOT "enhance" what's not there!

Well, at least the funny part is that they seem to always use the word "enhance." Big Grin

Posts: 17342 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Don't forget bullets bouncing off rear windows of numerous fleeing vehicles or one shot into the gas tank of the fleeing vehicle sends it up into a ball of flames.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1876 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
When the cop (or anyone else for that matter) shoots another person, and the shootee goes flying back 15 or more feet when hit, but the shooter stays feet firmly planted. Wouldn’t the shooter also go flying back to the same distance, more or less, depending upon the mass of shooter and shootee.

I guess Newton’s “Third Law of Physics” (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) does not apply to TV and Hollywood movies.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2723 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Wouldn’t the shooter also go flying back to the same distance, more or less, depending upon the mass of shooter and shootee.

I guess Newton’s “Third Law of Physics” (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) does not apply to TV and Hollywood movies.

No laws apply to Hollywood, or Washington types. They are the select.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18392 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily a copy thing, but another "computer" issue, when there's a good guy with hacking skillz, he/she can start typing on an enemy's keyboard and within 5 minutes have control of their system...and know how to navigate it perfectly.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post