SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ridiculous things you see on TV cop shows
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridiculous things you see on TV cop shows Login/Join 
posted
I had a new front door installed by an excellent contractor. The contractor went over with me the amount of force it would take to brake down the door. So that very night, I'm watching a cop show on TV. The cop is denied entry, so with a single kick he knocks down the door, and charges right in. Pure bullshit. I realized that you actually see that a lot. You really do have to suspend disbelief to watch these shows. What other crazy ridiculous stuff do you see on cop shows? Would love to hear from LEOs or anybody.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 1059 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not a Leo but cocking their Glocks is a fun one

Posts: 5394 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night on NCIS, Gibbs pointing a gun at bad guy standing so close to him he could bite the barrel. Anyone with training could take that gun away.

Posts: 1503 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Of course, the classic: SA semi-auto all cartridges expended, slide locked back, click-click-click multiple trigger pulls, trying to milk one more shot out of it, I guess.

At least the directors are mostly keeping fingers out of trigger guards these days.

Posts: 6583 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100 lb female cops physically manhandling multiple large male opponents.

not happening.

also - bad guy opens up full auto on the 'star' good guy - long burst of FA fire. The cop has time to 'duck' to avoid the barrage.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Chasing down a bad guy on Designated Survivor. WWWTP?

DS02a by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16469 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the speed they get any kind of forensics report - apparently it only takes like 5 minutes

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
.........and, it is getting dumber and dumber. My wife gets mad at me when I point out the absolute idiocy of some of these shows. I have learned to keep my mouth shut. Just a few observations from last nights fare:

* Car doors stop bullets and make great cover.
* Fully automatic firearm in crooks hand never hits anybody that will be back next week.
* Unlimited ammo in a handgun.
* The need to always work the slide for effect.
* Bullets cause a explosion and flash when hitting dirt.
* New cars don't have antilock brakes and skid to a stop - especially on dirt.
* Cars that squeal when rounding tight curves on gravel or dirt.

Just a few.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4257 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
...The cop is denied entry, so with a single kick he knocks down the door, and charges right in. Pure bullshit.

Actually, the amount of force required to kick open a typical residential door is not much. Door-kicking is a very common method of entry by burglars.

Posts: 1786 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
For being a crack military unit, the A Team couldn't hit shit with their full auto Rugers.

Posts: 4127 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ignorance of the Criminals, how can anyone that Stupid survive in the real world? See thugs on "First 48" that Rob/Kill relatives for $20..

Posts: 468 | Registered: July 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
One of the S.W.A.T. episodes last year involved a scene where the team was in a shootout with several bad guys in a warehouse. Two of the S.W.A.T. members were hunkered down behind a forklift with a huge propane tank mounted on the rear behind the seat using it for cover.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1910 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Sound of a revolver being cocked when the guy has a semi auto...

Posts: 3862 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fed161:
...The cop is denied entry, so with a single kick he knocks down the door, and charges right in. Pure bullshit.

Actually, the amount of force required to kick open a typical residential door is not much. Door-kicking is a very common method of entry by burglars.[/QUOTE

Well, I must have a very good front door, because nobody is getting through with a kick I can guarantee you. But then again, the security of the door was of primary importance to me when I went shopping for a new one. I rejected some models that were in my view not secure enough. I paid a little extra for the extra security because it was important to me.

Posts: 1059 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fired copper jacket lead bullets creating sparks on concrete surfaces.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
I had a new front door installed by an excellent contractor. The contractor went over with me the amount of force it would take to brake down the door. So that very night, I'm watching a cop show on TV. The cop is denied entry, so with a single kick he knocks down the door, and charges right in. Pure bullshit. I realized that you actually see that a lot. You really do have to suspend disbelief to watch these shows. What other crazy ridiculous stuff do you see on cop shows? Would love to hear from LEOs or anybody.

unless there is some serious steel reinforcement of the jamb, they are pretty easy to kick in. most doors, even with extended length dead bolts rely on a small sliver of wood to hold them.

an outswing door is a booger to kick in however.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have kicked in a normal residential door, and I have punched out a stronger-than-residential door window pane.

I was much younger when I did so, the door was not a high quality one, and I had on the right clothing for the jobs (heavy boots, gloves, etc.). In addition, I wasn't committing any sort of crime, had a good reason for what I was doing, and had to do it RIGHT NOW.

It's not that hard to do IF you aren't dealing with designed security doors, and if you aren't worried about making noise or getting in trouble. It's nearly fucking impossible if you are dealing with a steel door in a steel frame. Good luck with that...

I also hate the "bullet sparks" BS posted above. Some time back, here was a post about the 3 barrel .50 cal rotary machine gun. In the contractor's demonstration vid, there were bullet sparks flying off the (fiberglass) hood of the HMMWV the .50 was mounted on to simulate incoming fire... Yeah...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12821 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my favorite is the 70's detective/cop shows that had each cop, detective or bad guy with a Detective Special , and a snap on or screw on silencer in the other pocket

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10464 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Ricochets that fly off at right angles. Cars that explode violently upon impact with damn near anything.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15694 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of long distance shots with two inch revolvers. You can get them in Hollywood, apparently.
Favorite amazing long distance shot:
In a scene from El Dorado, John Wayne, on horseback, draws his SAA and shoots Johnny Crawford, who was standing on a rock. Which was across a creek and above Wayne and appears at least 100 yards away. Great shot, Duke!
My faith was renewed in John Wayne, however, with his draw and fire in the dugout scene in True Grit. That was done right, for Hollywood anyway.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16202 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post