SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Torque Wrench suggestions...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Torque Wrench suggestions... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Where does one get his torque wrench calibrated??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Give Transcat a call. If they’re too high I’m sure there are a few others in Houston.

https://www.transcat.com/calib...que-calibration-labs

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to hear "never use the top 10% or bottom 10% of any torque wrench, for best accuracy". Not sure if that applies nowadays or not?

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

Give Transcat a call. If they’re too high I’m sure there are a few others in Houston.

https://www.transcat.com/calib...que-calibration-labs

What kind of ballpark fee do these calibration firms charge for calibrating your run of the mill torque wrench?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Give Transcat a call.
Thanks! Just sent in an online request for a quote...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
What kind of ballpark fee do these calibration firms charge for calibrating your run of the mill torque wrench?

We pay $75 once per year for ANSI Z540 calibration on our 250 ft/pd wrenches. With that calibration they are certified to be used on government jobs.

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Calibration does not include any adjustments to bring the tool back to standard. It just provides a certificate of accuracy. Most calibration services will also adjust if necessary, at an additional cost. At least that has been my experience with a couple of calibration services (Team Torque being one).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I retired from a major natural gas distribution company that fell under DOT rules and regs, in my line of work we had to use certified torque wrench's quite often. Company had to pay to get them calibrated yearly, not once did my torque wrench come back stating it was found out of spec, it was always spot on, year after year, no adjustment needed. Just saying if you are not required to have them certified, don't bother.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
For home use you can also buy a digital torque adapter to check your wrench yourself. There are YouTube videos on how to check and then adjust if needed.

———————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I retired from a major natural gas distribution company that fell under DOT rules and regs, in my line of work we had to use certified torque wrench's quite often. Company had to pay to get them calibrated yearly, not once did my torque wrench come back stating it was found out of spec, it was always spot on, year after year, no adjustment needed. Just saying if you are not required to have them certified, don't bother.

That may be so, but if they aren’t sent off for calibration, you really don’t know if they’re accurate. I do know that ours have been adjusted when sent off for calibration. How often I couldn’t tell you.

———————————————

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
To be honest, about the ONLY thing I use my torque wrench for is properly seating the lug nuts on the wheels when I rotate my tires at home. Sooooo just how critical is it if my wrench is off a little bit? I use 80 ft/lb torque on both cars.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about this re-calibration thing. Is it not repeated exercising of springs that causes them to weaken? So if your torque wrench spends most of its time sitting in a drawer, set to zero, and is used only infrequently, would it not be inclined to retain accuracy for a good, long while?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be honest, about the ONLY thing I use my torque wrench for is properly seating the lug nuts on the wheels when I rotate my tires at home. Sooooo just how critical is it if my wrench is off a little bit? I use 80 ft/lb torque on both cars.

If that’s all you use it for, I wouldn’t waste my time calibrating it.

———————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm curious about this re-calibration thing. Is it not repeated exercising of springs that causes them to weaken? So if your torque wrench spends most of its time sitting in a drawer, set to zero, and is used only infrequently, would it not be inclined to retain accuracy for a good, long while?

It should, but you never know. If you’re just torquing wheels or things like that, I’m sure it’s ok for that. Torquing a cylinder head or other engine work, maybe, maybe not.

———————————————

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Last shop I worked at had a "standard lab". We calibrated torque wrenches for ourselves and for Sandia Labs and the Airforce weapons lab.
The torque wrenches were mostly snapon and proto and rarely needed any adjustments if the wrenches were set back to zero and kept in their case.
The torque wrenches that were set and locked at a certain value would sometimes require small adjustment.

Now and then someone would bring in a chicom wrench to be checked. The wrench may check good at 40 lbs but be off at 75 lbs. The only fix was to set torque at the value needed.

Correction...Airforce weapons lab name was too scary, now called Airforce research lab.

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are torque wrenches that are pre-set at a single specific value, for specialized applications. Used a couple of these in the Air Force. Don't think they're very common, though.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Last shop I worked at had a "standard lab". We calibrated torque wrenches for ourselves and for Sandia Labs and the Airforce weapons lab.
The torque wrenches were mostly snapon and proto and rarely needed any adjustments if the wrenches were set back to zero and kept in their case.
The torque wrenches that were set and locked at a certain value would sometimes require small adjustment.

Now and then someone would bring in a chicom wrench to be checked. The wrench may check good at 40 lbs but be off at 75 lbs. The only fix was to set torque at the value needed.

Correction...Airforce weapons lab name was too scary, now called Airforce research lab.

That’s been my experience with the China Freight wrenches. They’re accurate at one setting but off at another. I showed a friend of mine this with his China Freight torque wrench with my digital torque adapter and he threw it in the trash can. Smile

———————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Are there two different processes; certification and calibration? Is there another process that gives you a piece of paper that shows a table of what your wrench was set for vs what torqued it actually applied?

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that’s all you use it for, I wouldn’t waste my time calibrating it.
I believe you are absolutely correct, Mr. Surge. I got a quote back from Transcat and they quoted $52.65 for a "Calibration w/o Data" (whatever "w/o Data" means). PLUS I'd have to ship it to Fenton, MO...thought we had a lab here in Houston that could do the calibration.

I think I'll be fine using it 4x per year, at most, to tighten some lug nuts. Thanks for the great info, everyone!!