SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Torque Wrench suggestions...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Torque Wrench suggestions... Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
While I do use some Harbor Freight tools as seldom used, or throw aways, I saw an add of theirs for a 1/2 in. drive Quinn 250lb. Torque Wrench. Seems my old Craftsman Digi-torque has gotten just too far out of calibration. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider anything from HF for such sensitive use as applying torque, but it has seemed to get a bunch of good reviews generally on the web, and Youtube. Seems its the same item as sold by Lowes, whatever their home brand is, Kobalt maybe? Does anyone have any input on this wrench? Priced at 169.00 and after discounts will probably be around 135.00 Thanks

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into getting your old one recalibrated?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 1/2”, 3/8” and 1/2” torque wrench at HF for about $20 each with a coupon. I have used each of them a few times for vehicle maintenance like checking torque on lug nuts after a rotation or an oil change. I’m happy with them and suspect these are rebranded for other retailers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4232 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If your Craftsman is American-made, not Chinese, and is not actually broken, it ought to be able to be recalibrated. This needs to be done every so often with any torque wrench anyway. Angle Repair in Beckley, WV does this, but surely you can find somebody closer. I'll occasionally buy tools from Hazard Fraught, but not any kind of precision instrument.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My torque wrench is from harbor freight. I don't use it enough to justify buying a quality one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider using a harbor freight torque wrench for anything but tightening a bolt. I would never use it to set or measure torque on anything. Ever.

You can pick up another Craftsman, or a Mac or Snap-on wrench on ebay for very little. I just looked at all three brands on ebay for well under a hundred.

Whether you buy new or used, it should be sent out for calibration.

Unless your digitorque has been damaged, I'd get it calibrated, if it were me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of auto racers use Harbor Freight torque wrenches as this item is used/abused and lost a lot at the track. Harbor Freight torque wrenches are virtually a "throw away" item that gives good results and if lost or damaged you don't feel so badly. I use mine almost every time I do anything to my car.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I wouldn't consider using a harbor freight torque wrench for anything but tightening a bolt. I would never use it to set or measure torque on anything. Ever.

You can pick up another Craftsman, or a Mac or Snapon wrenc on ebay for very little. I just looked at all three brands on ebay for well under a hundred.

Whether you buy new or used, it should be sent out for calibration.

Unless your digitorque has been damaged, I'd get it calibrated, if it were me.

I agree. You definitely don’t want to torque a cylinder head, etc. with one. Wheels and the like are ok though. We aren’t allowed to use HF torque wrenches when torquing electrical switchgear, etc. Too much variation.

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Regular Harbor Freight is different than the Icon Harbor Freight. Look at the Icon line.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lipstick on a pig. It's still chinese shit. Harbor freight is okay for something that doesn't require precision, but whether it's the newer "icon" brand or not, it's still cheap chinese shit.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Like those Blue Point tools that SnapOn is selling on its website that are being produced in Taiwan, probably by the same supplier making Icon. Lipstick on a pig indeed.

Hold onto your religion, SnapOn now has a factory in Kunshan, China that produces tools for the Asian market. Its just a matter of time...

Perhaps the OP doesn't need a $400 torque wrench, but could do with a $100 Icon that seems to outperform that $400 wrench.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Look into Wright Tool. American-made, but won't break the bank. Discovered them completely by accident at a local tool store when I was looking for a new torque wrench. Mine is their model 4477. Wright torque wrenchs, and their other tools, appear to get good reviews. Note: I haven't used my new torque wrench much, so far. It does appear and feel to be well-made.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Got a really nice Matco 1/2” drive off ebay a couple of years ago. Way cheaper than Snap On...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Like those Blue Point tools that SnapOn is selling on its website that are being produced in Taiwan, probably by the same supplier making Icon. Lipstick on a pig indeed.

Hold onto your religion, SnapOn now has a factory in Kunshan, China that produces tools for the Asian market. Its just a matter of time...

Perhaps the OP doesn't need a $400 torque wrench, but could do with a $100 Icon that seems to outperform that $400 wrench.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ck_O5U1Tyz8" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The Snap-on in the repeatability test kept closer to the chosen torque spec of 74 ft pds. The HF Icon overtorqued. For his tests to be legit he should’ve used multiple figures and more than the one torque figure of 74 ft pds. He also didn’t test durability and longer term accuracy.

———————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The only thing I will buy or use are CDI Torque Wrenches.
Quality stuff.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
My torque wrench is from harbor freight. I don't use it enough to justify buying a quality one.

Ditto. Mine's mainly used when reinstalling lawnmower blades.

I think I paid like $9 total for it when I bought it about a decade ago.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Ditto.

Are you a pro or a home gamer?

I got an HF one after researching it a few years ago. Multiple reviews from third parties rated them extremely good/accurate compared to the name brand ones. Just relieve the spring loading between uses. Mine has served me for personal use very well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Just relieve the spring loading between uses. Mine has served me for personal use very well.

When you say "relieve the spring loading between uses," do you mean reset the torque wrench to zero or take it past zero (to a value less than zero)?

If you're thinking of reducing spring tension by unscrewing the wrench to a value below zero, know that other than dropping the wrench, it's the surest way to take it out of calibration and ruin the wrench.

Every torque wrench should be reset to zero after every use.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Ditto. Mine's mainly used when reinstalling lawnmower blades.

I think I paid like $9 total for it when I bought it about a decade ago.

Sounds like you trust that torque wrench for jobs that don't really require a torque wrench.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Just relieve the spring loading between uses.

When you say "relieve the spring loading between uses," do you mean reset the torque wrench to zero or take it past zero (to a value less than zero)?

Every torque wrench should be reset to zero after every use.

Yea, just reset to ~zero. That relieves the compression on the main spring... per the instructions... Leaving it compressed can over time weaken the spring, throwing the calibration off.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post