SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shipping a pistol via UPS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping a pistol via UPS Login/Join 
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Sunset Va,
So you would have no problem with a dealer shipping a pistol to another dealer that you had purchased via UPS Standard Ground shipping. Meaning that if no one is there UPS leaves it on the doorway for how ever long, for whomever that wants it to pick it up and go? Not how I want my pistol shipped.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Sunset Va,
So you would have no problem with a dealer shipping a pistol to another dealer that you had purchased via UPS Standard Ground shipping. Meaning that if no one is there UPS leaves it on the doorway for how ever long, for whomever that wants it to pick it up and go? Not how I want my pistol shipped.

"whichever method the person specifies."

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stoic-one,
I am damn serious about this! I don't know or care what you think about my principles , but they are mine. You are entitled to yours, but is not what my OP was about.
Marvy, I wasn't questioning your principles at all, I simply don't think $35 is way out of line for shipping a pistol, though he f'd up, just my opinion... And you must have missed the part where I agreed with your initial premise, but mkay, I'm out.

Have a great day.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6222 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not like there is some magic in shipping and some method is perfect. The cost question aside (the quoted cost is fine based on what I have seen, the direct shipping cost is only part of the shippers costs) all the methods have issues. I've had stuff shipped via USPS FFL to my FFL (normally the cheapest way) and the post office has left boxes with guns in the mailboxes at my FFL when they weren't open (they are not open on Mondays). USPS has delivered them to the wrong address (there is a similar street, luckily the person called and I was able to go get it). UPS has returned guns for non delivery (again they are closed on Mondays) no second try no nothing. UPS has delivered to the wrong address, paying no attention to the signature, etc. FedEx has about the same track record.
The best you can do is make sure the shipper is on the hook for delivery and leave it at that. Let them pick the method and have fun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11023 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stoic-one,
I am damn serious about this! I don't know or care what you think about my principles , but they are mine. You are entitled to yours, but is not what my OP was about.

They're ridiculous.

You have the labor to log it into the system, you have the labor to box it, you have the labor to actually ship it out, then you have the packing materials, and everything else, not to mention all of the costs of actually running a business such as insurance, electric, rent, etc. etc. and you're going to quibble over $20?????

YOU agreed to the flat rate $35 price of shipping when you bought the gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Brownells once shipped a lower receiver to me via FedEx without a signature required. A quick email solved the problem and hasn't happened since. I find Fed Ex gives me the best rates of all carriers so I use them 90% of the time. I have shipped a shotgun across country with 2 day AM delivery for under $30 with insurance. UPS is the most expensive for me so I don't use them.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
jimmy123x
Thank you for the economics class lesson. I was not aware of there being any costs to operate a business. You are right, I am being ridiculous,YOUR opinion is duly noted.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To the OP, I understand your concern.

When I have sold firearms and state " buyer pays shipping" , then the buyer states " cheapest way possible, without insurance" , what do you do?

Pony up your money for a more secure shipping method , and insurance, when the buyer doesn't care enough to?

Read some of the return shipping policies of some of the refinishing companies.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I'm a home based dealer. I see this happen a lot.
Usually these shipping practices is the only way a dealer makes any profit off the sale.

What this dealer did was stupid and irresponsible, but not illegal. There isn't really anything you can do about it other than leave negative feedback.

And its possible the ups driver left it when he shouldnt have. Back around Christmas I told a coworker that I would receive a bolt action rifle for him. I come home from work one day to find it leaning up against my garage door. The shipping label clearly stated signature required. But the idiot fedex driver left it anyway. Tracking showed Jane Doe signed for it. I reached out to the local hub. The manager was not amused. Hopefully the issue has been taken care of.

There are a lot of stupid people on gunbroker. Its best to look through their feedback before buying from them.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
There are low profit margins in the firearms business so shipping is one area where dealers can make extra profit. You can also factor in that shipping cost vary by service, zip code, address l, carrier and insurance value so he may have overestimated so he didn’t lose out by estimating low. I’ve quoted shipping and then found out I was low and I lost money on the shipment.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I'm a home based dealer. I see this happen a lot.
Usually these shipping practices is the only way a dealer makes any profit off the sale.

What this dealer did was stupid and irresponsible, but not illegal. There isn't really anything you can do about it other than leave negative feedback.

And its possible the ups driver left it when he shouldnt have. Back around Christmas I told a coworker that I would receive a bolt action rifle for him. I come home from work one day to find it leaning up against my garage door. The shipping label clearly stated signature required. But the idiot fedex driver left it anyway. Tracking showed Jane Doe signed for it. I reached out to the local hub. The manager was not amused. Hopefully the issue has been taken care of.

There are a lot of stupid people on gunbroker. Its best to look through their feedback before buying from them.

another home or shop based FFL/SOT checking in,

Fedex is the absolute worst carrier in this area, had a ground driver pull up in the driveway while I was in the shop with customers and left a door tag on the other side of the property,,,
calls to corporate did not help at all, just got a sorry, we will call him, meanwhile it will be there tomorrow,,,

as far as UPS, I have shipped pistols from the hub, 2day air saver is as cheap as they will go here, unless it is within the same time of delivery for ground,
the lady at the hub switched my package to ground, since the destination was close enough that ground would have it there in the same time,,, saved me and the customer a few bucks,

however , I ship 99.9% of my stuff USPS Priority, INSURED, with sign on delivery,

the customers get a quote from the USPS website, and I ship using a service that USPS hooked me up with that gives me a tiny discount (small percentage, almost enough to cover a cup of tea,,,,,)

btw, you can get free boxes from USPS , just have to supply the tape and foam

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10440 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
jimmy123x
Thank you for the economics class lesson. I was not aware of there being any costs to operate a business. You are right, I am being ridiculous,YOUR opinion is duly noted.
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30760 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I do not begrudge the dealer charging me $35.00 to ship the pistol UPS. I did not know or understand fully what UPS Ground meant. That is my fault for not questioning more about shipping costs.I was not offered or advised that the pistol could or would be dropped or left on my dealers doorstep. My understanding of UPS rules is if pistol is shipped the driver or person who accepts the parcel must be advised that a handgun is in the parcel.I understand that ANY rule or Federal regulation can be broken or understood in different ways. But I do not see how in good faith an FFL could knowingly ship a pistol to anyone when it can be left unattended outside a business or home. I not know if there is a right or wrong answer to my OP.
It was not my intention to offend or pile on any FFL dealers, especially those on this SIGforum. I have learned from this post to ask and receive more info from a dealer or FFL before purchasing a pistol,in regards to how it will be shipped. My apologies to anyone I offended or pissed off.We can agree to disagree on some points of this post,but this forum is a great place with a wealth of knowledge and information, Thanks again to ALL who have participated!