SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas pump etiquette
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas pump etiquette Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
so a person who needs gas should choose to NOT get it at the open pump that also has non-ethanol just because a landscaper might be in a hurry?

and do you actually think that nobody from your generation gets gas at the non-ethanol pump when they don't actually need non-ethanol gas?

I'm speaking of people in general, dude. IDGAS about the specific topic at hand. I don't fuck people up at the gas pump when I get gas or anywhere else, for that matter, because I somehow manage to maintain Situational Awareness of my environment and surroundings at all times. So I have no comment to your statements one way or the other because I DO treat others with courtesy and try my DAMNDEST to NOT be an asshat. Like I was raised.

The VAST majority of people, in general, have no common courtesy toward anyone else these days...REGARDLESS of the situation. That was my point, which you seemed to have missed. My apologies for being vague...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Nothing worse than pulling in to a station in the diesel truck with the horse trailer with several horses in it and there is one diesel pump with 18 gas pumps with some little econo car blocking the diesel pump with every other pump wide open. Then having to sit there while they go inside to order snacks from the grill and putz around for 20 minutes.

I'd have no hesitation to go into the minimart and ask whoever owns xyz car to please move it so others can get fuel. Doing that would be less rude than leaving their car after filling up and showing no consideration for others. Happens a lot.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's a curtesy nothing more. There is no hard fast station rule that I'm aware of that says don't use this island unless you are buying from the one pump that has specialty fuel, since there are other pumps on that same island that have standard everyday gas. Perhaps there should be. One or several islands that only dispense diesel or E0 gas. There a very few stations around here that pump E0. Mostly it's the mid level gas that is E0 and you can get that at any island. The diesel island also pumps standard gas which says to me it's okay to go there if that's the gas you want. I always try to be courteous, but I don't get this deal. Where am I going wrong?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

It's a curtesy nothing more. There is no hard fast station rule that I'm aware of that says don't use this island unless you are buying from the one pump that has specialty fuel, since there are other pumps on that same island that have standard everyday gas. Perhaps there should be. One or several islands that only dispense diesel or E0 gas. There a very few stations around here that pump E0. Mostly it's the mid level gas that is E0 and you can get that at any island. The diesel island also pumps standard gas which says to me it's okay to go there if that's the gas you want. I always try to be courteous, but I don't get this deal. Where am I going wrong?
I believe that the major complaint is not about which pump people use to buy gas, it's about inconsiderate people who leave their vehicles at a pump, blocking access to that pump, while they go into the store to browse snacks, buy lottery tickets, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
So glad I get my gas at Costco where you swipe your membership card, swipe payment, fuel and get the hell out of there.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
So glad I get my gas at Costco where you swipe your membership card, swipe payment, fuel and get the hell out of there.
That's pretty much everywhere . Swipe your card at the pump and do your thing . I haven't paid for gas inside for too long to remember .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Around here, the Costco lines are 10 times as long.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but you can stick your etiquette crap in your tank. I am the guy that pulls up and gets fuel of my flavor at the pump of my choice. If I have to wait, I can live with it. Otherwise I will go home or somewhere else. For those of you that have a problem. Undoubtedly you cause others heartburn in some form or fashion though out your daily meanderings. So take your telling others how to do things because they are not as intelligent as you elsewhere. My rant. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19228 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:

Around here, the Costco lines are 10 times as long.
I have found that the Costco gas lines around here start to get long just before lunch time, and it continues through the afternoon. I try to go either early morning or late evening; at those times I can usually pull right up to a pump.

Right now, the local Costco is running as much as 31 cents / gallon less than the nearby competition, and it is gas and go, no convenience store to go into, so no unattended vehicles parked blocking the pump.
Well, once I did block a Costco pump. My battery died and the truck would not start, so I had to leave it at the pump while I went inside the store and bought a new battery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It always makes me smile when the guys who drive thier dads trucks give me the evil eye when I woul ld pull up to the diesel pump with my diesel 83 vw rabbit.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
so a person who needs gas should choose to NOT get it at the open pump that also has non-ethanol just because a landscaper might be in a hurry?
When there are exactly 14 other open pumps (at this particular gas station) and you choose the only one that I actually can use, then yes. Especially, when you sit on your phone after hanging up the pump and I have to ask if you're planning on going any time soon. If you're in and out, good. I go at off-peak times so I'm not in anyone else's way, I use two pumps at once to get out of the way quicker and I expect the same courtesy. And yes, I know it's my own failure to expect the same courtesy that I give. I’m just saying that I’m not intending that anyone inconvenience themselves for me. It’s all a one way inconvenience and easily solved.

The other place in my area that sells non-ethanol fuel has a dedicated pump but it's low octane or I'd go there.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Sorry, but you can stick your etiquette crap in your tank. I am the guy that pulls up and gets fuel of my flavor at the pump of my choice. If I have to wait, I can live with it. Otherwise I will go home or somewhere else. For those of you that have a problem. Undoubtedly you cause others heartburn in some form or fashion though out your daily meanderings. So take your telling others how to do things because they are not as intelligent as you elsewhere. My rant. Wink
That’s just another point. I absolutely do not cause inconvenience to others. Not daily, not weekly, not ever. I’m terminally conscientious.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

and do you actually think that nobody from your generation gets gas at the non-ethanol pump when they don't actually need non-ethanol gas?

I'm speaking of people in general, dude. IDGAS about the specific topic at hand. I don't fuck people up at the gas pump when I get gas or anywhere else, for that matter, because I somehow manage to maintain Situational Awareness of my environment and surroundings at all times. So I have no comment to your statements one way or the other because I DO treat others with courtesy and try my DAMNDEST to NOT be an asshat. Like I was raised.

The VAST majority of people, in general, have no common courtesy toward anyone else these days...REGARDLESS of the situation. That was my point, which you seemed to have missed. My apologies for being vague...

Maybe it has nothing to do with what generation you belong to. Sounds like that's what you're saying now.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
That’s just another point. I absolutely do not cause inconvenience to others. Not daily, not weekly, not ever. I’m terminally conscientious.

Sorry, but that simply isn’t attainable. Almost guaranteed that you habitually do something (or several things) that annoys or inconveniences someone and you have no idea. It is entirely impossible for you to anticipate every possible way you might inconvenience others. That was my point earlier. I am also very aware of how my movement through this world impacts others and try to minimize it wherever possible. Taking the time to learn about the nuances of delivery for every form of gas one might need is way down there on the list. I just don’t have the bandwidth for that level of consideration, nor do most others. Hell, there is a huge segment of the population that has no idea they shouldn’t be doing 5 under in the left lane…..

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m usually considerate of others at the pump. I have seen myself at pumps that also offer diesel. I’ve never really thought to choose a different pump in case a truck showed up. I never really thought about it when choosing which pump to use. Maybe I will going forward.

Apart from that I have little cause to go into a gas station store. There has been occasion when the pump said it was out of paper for a receipt and I needed one for work. I’ll be damned if I’m gonna drive to a new spot to go in and get a receipt. If you have to wait for me blame the fucker that didn’t replace the paper.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Good lord, can't a guy just pitch a bitch?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 28, 2021 09:03 PM Hide Post

IN THE "Whats your deal" section maybe?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19228 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ya think that's bad?

I have friends who are OTR truckers.

They maneuver their 60 foot long rig around to get in line to get fuel. Then they realize the bozo who just filled up has wandered into the truck stop to put his laundry in, take a shower and stuff, grab a bite to eat and a big slurpy, then finally, 45 minutes later, wanders back to their semi to pull forward.

In the trucking world, this behavior will get you a dab of 5th wheel grease on your door handle (NASTY stuff!) or worse.

Fuel, pull up, park, whatever, let someone else get to the fuel dispensers and get'er done.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Around here, each pump has 2 nozzles, one for gasoline and one for diesel.

Problem solved.
I use non-ethanol in my equipment. There’s only one pump and if I want gas in the truck as well, there is only one way I can pull into the station. Apparently, it’s the most popular pump in the station. There are 15 other pumps at the place I use.
Although I sympathize with your frustration, it's hard to fully do so. There are NO non-ethanol pumps within 50 miles of me. If I absolutely had to have it, it would be at least an hour's drive each way and using up 4-5 gallons of gas to get there and back. Just be glad you have access to it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
posted June 28, 2021 09:03 PM Hide Post

IN THE "Whats your deal" section maybe?

Perhaps, but discussing which section to post in detracts from his message. I have seen this type of behavior across the spectrum. Bad behavior is up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post