SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas pump etiquette
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas pump etiquette Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I understand that most people don’t realize this but there are certain gas pumps that have different types of fuel. Usually, the special fuel only comes from one of the pumps. I understand that you may be unfamiliar with the layout of a new gas station. I get it.

Just as a public service announcement, let me mention something. If there are special pumps, either diesel or non-ethanol fuel, and you don’t need that type of fuel, please consider moving to another pump. Those of us that need those types of fuel are usually in a hurry and need to get working. And for the sweet love of all that is holy, if you see someone waiting for a pump, move your car before going in to buy your lottery tickets and chat with the cashier for 15 minutes.

Thanks.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I keep threatening to put a push bumper on the front of my truck to push vehicles away from the Diesel pumps at the stations around here. It seems to be the place to park while doing your shopping at the Convenience store. one of hte stations, the two Diesel pumps don't have gasoline with them, so why park there.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And for the sweet love of all that is holy, if you see someone waiting for a pump, move your car before going in to buy your lottery tickets and chat with the cashier for 15 minutes.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, folks seem to think that filling up means you own that spot like a parking spot, unless you're going in to pay cash up front for gas because it won't let you pump without a CC, then there isn't any reason to block a pump

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I understand that most people don’t realize this but there are certain gas pumps that have different types of fuel. Usually, the special fuel only comes from one of the pumps. I understand that you may be unfamiliar with the layout of a new gas station. I get it.

Just as a public service announcement, let me mention something. If there are special pumps, either diesel or non-ethanol fuel, and you don’t need that type of fuel, please consider moving to another pump. Those of us that need those types of fuel are usually in a hurry and need to get working. And for the sweet love of all that is holy, if you see someone waiting for a pump, move your car before going in to buy your lottery tickets and chat with the cashier for 15 minutes.

Thanks.

I know it's frustrating. Most people are clueless about the non-ethanol pumps.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Most people are clueless

Fixed it for everyone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8027 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Nothing worse than pulling in to a station in the diesel truck with the horse trailer with several horses in it and there is one diesel pump with 18 gas pumps with some little econo car blocking the diesel pump with every other pump wide open. Then having to sit there while they go inside to order snacks from the grill and putz around for 20 minutes.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Around here, each pump has 2 nozzles, one for gasoline and one for diesel.

Problem solved.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Problem solved.
I use non-ethanol in my equipment. There’s only one pump and if I want gas in the truck as well, there is only one way I can pull into the station. Apparently, it’s the most popular pump in the station. There are 15 other pumps at the place I use.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Problem solved.

Is that like a requirement out there? Around here you have to really look for stations that have diesel and then the ones who do it's usually one or two pumps that have diesel - and they are usually blocked by a tiny compact car Smile

It's even more rare for the stations to carry ethanol free and those pumps are usually blocked as well. Luckily a Sheetz near us carries ethanol free and they have it at several of the pumps. That's all I use on the lawn equipment.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration but don’t see your awareness campaign producing much relief. Have you considered asking the station to provide a dedicated pump or adding signage. We, the general public, only have so much bandwidth to educate ourselves on the special circumstances and make accommodations for every special interest group with a unique need. Not to be harsh, it’s just reality……only so many F’s to give in a given day.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I understand your frustration but don’t see your awareness campaign producing much relief. Have you considered asking the station to provide a dedicated pump or adding signage. We, the general public, only have so much bandwidth to educate ourselves on the special circumstances and make accommodations for every special interest group with a unique need. Not to be harsh, it’s just reality……only so many F’s to give in a given day.

to tack a little on to this... when I'm getting gas, I too am usually in a hurry and needing to get to work.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Is that like a requirement out there? Around here you have to really look for stations that have diesel and then the ones who do it's usually one or two pumps that have diesel - and they are usually blocked by a tiny compact car Smile

Can't find anything that says it's a requirement, so it's most likely just viewed as the best way to set up gas stations around here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It just goes that the VAST majority of the population has ZERO common consideration for his fellow man. All they can think of is "me, me, me, me, me"...nothing more. I'm not sure at what point that trait was no longer taught in developmental child rearing, but you can bet your sweet bippy it was taught in MY generation. Otherwise, my mother woulda taken the belt to my ass.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate it when pickups with long landscape trailers block a whole row of pumps and also force anyone trying to enter the store to walk out from under the canopy around it. Usually the farthest row out is empty and they wouldn’t be blocking everyone else if the used it.

Posts: 404 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It just goes that the VAST majority of the population has ZERO common consideration for his fellow man. All they can think of is "me, me, me, me, me"...nothing more. I'm not sure at what point that trait was no longer taught in developmental child rearing, but you can bet your sweet bippy it was taught in MY generation. Otherwise, my mother woulda taken the belt to my ass.

so a person who needs gas should choose to NOT get it at the open pump that also has non-ethanol just because a landscaper might be in a hurry?

and do you actually think that nobody from your generation gets gas at the non-ethanol pump when they don't actually need non-ethanol gas?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Problem solved.

Maybe, but usually the pumps with diesel are located on the outside, open end of the pumps. Even if those pumps on the inside, under the canopy have diesel, it’s often true that some trucks with van bodies or pulling large campers don’t have the overhead or side-to-side clearance to fuel up anywhere but the outside gas island.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My go to gas station has a separate pump island with all the types of Diesel on it. Helps reduce the idiocy somewhat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16118 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
quote:
And for the sweet love of all that is holy, if you see someone waiting for a pump, move your car before going in to buy your lottery tickets and chat with the cashier for 15 minutes.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!

True that!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
But I thought the guy from Florida has to have a diesel Civic.

He parked there!

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post