SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral Planning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral Planning Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The last thing I would want is the Federal Government involved in my final resting place decision!

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've considered Arlington. Anyone else who meets the requirements considering that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
When my son died unexpectedly, he had no life insurance, no savings, nothing. I had him cremated at a place that does nothing but cremations, no services, nothing else. It cost me $900 total, and I spread his ashes at a place we both loved going together.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Wife and I recently updated our wills, POA's and estate plans.

After any usable organs are harvested, we both want to be cremated. No casket, no viewing. Party for friends afterwords. My wife wants to be scattered here at our farm. For me part at my favorite place in Canada and part here at the farm. We have CD's set aside for our cremations.

Not wasting money for boxes, funeral homes or cemetery lots and monuments.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I've considered Arlington. Anyone else who meets the requirements considering that?

AKSuperDually, My late wife is interred at Arlington based on my eligibility. At the time Arlington had me sign an agreement to be buried there as well, which is not a problem. Arlington has posted on their website a draft of proposed changes in eligibility which seem quite a departure from the current rules.

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Given the nature of my job (and how many people I've lost) I've thought about this a lot. My plan within the next few years is to buy a couple plots in the cemetery that I like (Sedona Community for those that are so inclined to look it up, it's gorgeous). And maybe get a headstone. I'm only in my 30s but you never know and I'd assume it's easier to have it all ready to go earlier rather than later in life. Especially since costs only go up. In case of something unexpected I had an emergency folder that lays out not only all pertinent medical and insurance info, but also a detailed guide to what I want done if I should pass unexpectedly.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
My parents pre-planned everything - donated their bodies to science. Small memorial service, told us where they wanted ashes sprinkled.

It did sort of bother me no headstone or marker. Then I found 'find-a-grave.' For a whopping fee (about $5) I could block the ads on the page and leave a cyber marker(so to speak)

Might be an option some would like.
https://www.findagrave.com/mem...ggie%22-rosalie-ruby

https://www.findagrave.com/mem...5/virgil-robert-ruby

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since arriving in our 70s my wife and I have been looking at options. She wants cremation and ashes scattered at a scenic site here in the Texas Hill Country. I’m leaning that way too. No children so who would visit our graves? There’s an old historic bar near here where I play guitar at a weekly jam. Some of the old walls are from the original mail and stagecoach stop between San Marcos and Blanco. People claim that some old patrons have had their ashes poured into some of the larger holes in the old floorboards to rest on the ground below. That might be an option. It would add to the rumors of the place being haunted and I would still be around for the weekly jam.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend and I have a pact that whoever goes first, the other one will get the ashes, load them into some shotgun shells, and go duck hunting together one last time.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I haven’t visited my mother’s grave since she was buried back in ‘95. I may someday, but I have no plans.

I will be cremated. I told family members to have cremators dispose ashes or for them to take to do what the want. My cares end at death.

My partner and I stopped at the Pecos River bridge over Highway 90 along the Texas/Mexico border to take a break and enjoy the view when we saw a vehicle stop. A family got out, walked to the middle of the bridge.

A little time went by when we saw what appeared like smoke coming from their location. We then realized they had dumped ashes over the side of the bridge. It grossed us out because the ashes were blowing all around them so they quickly ran back to their vehicle and left. Yep, funny, but gross. Could have been an animal’s ashes, but I wouldn’t doubt it was a family member.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a couple of burial plots years ago but have since decided to be cremated . I want my ashes to be spread in a creek at a campground that we have gone to since I was a baby . It's Federal land so it's not legal but what they don't know won't hurt them . My wife wants her ashes to be placed along side her mother . We've been trying to sell our plots but haven't had any luck .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am planning to be buried at the National Cemetery at Fort Worth, Texas--as a military retiree it is my right. There will be a simple gravestone (standard issue). My only living relatives are 2 nephews and some cousins, none are local, so I don't expact any grave visitations after I'm gone. As a long-time singer in my church choir I am planning a church funeral, in which I hope music will be the focus. I can expect some choir members and a few others of the church to attend, and maybe my nephews (they live in Phoenix, AZ). I won't be requesting aa full military burial--my service was not particularly exceptional. I do have a policy that arranges some of the funeral details.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My father had planned well. He had requested cremation, had purchased a grave site and headstone (only had to engrave the date of death), and specified one organ piece he wanted played at his church service.

However, the funeral director (this in KS) told me the deceased's wishes to be cremated do not have to be followed. Once dead, the family makes the decision about what to do with the body. Of course we honored our Dad's wishes.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over a year ago a very nice member here put a dozen or so songs on a DVD for me to play during a slide show at my visitation.

Now I have 26 pictures picked out, to put in to a slide show,
But

With the funeral homes not offering visitations, these days.
I don't know if I will bother getting the video made

(Stupid covid)
G r r r r

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Over a year ago a very nice member here put a dozen or so songs on a DVD for me to play during a slide show at my visitation.

Now I have 26 pictures picked out, to put in to a slide show,
But

With the funeral homes not offering visitations, these days.
I don't know if I will bother getting the video made

(Stupid covid)
G r r r r

Make the video. You never know-friends may email the slideshow to each other so they can all watch at a given time to remember you

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post