SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My pretty good lunch – chili on toast
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My pretty good lunch – chili on toast Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Cincy Chili does taste a bit different because of the spices used. I’ve had a fair amount of Cincy Chili served to me, a common spice is Cinnamon, sometimes nutmeg or even cocoa powder, and the Thanksgiving Spices like cloves or Allspice. Everybody makes it a little differently, most guard Ye Olde Family Recipe and don’t share the details.

I prefer my Okie-Tex Chili, but to each their own.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I used to actually put the chili on the toast, but nowadays I take a spoonful of chili, then a bite of toast and chew both together. That works best for me. I mix black pepper and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce into the chili.

Some blueberries afterwards.

In the Navy they sometimes served an SOS variant at Midats which was toast topped with a chili type concoction. Good if you where on the 12-8 shift as it stuck with you all night, with usually an emergency bathroom sit down at about 3 am.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That is the Cincinatti [sic] variant, but their chili is oddly spiced.
Yes, Cincinnati type uses a spice that I find unpleasant in chili. Cloves? Cinnamon? I don't remember, it's been a long time since I had any.

Believe the strongest is Cinnamon, we had one of the original Skyline Chili founders family lived in the neighborhood before he passed on..

A 5 way and a few Coney Dogs are excellent on a cold winters day...

What is in a Skyline 5-way?

Description: This classic Cincinnati dish starts with a foundation of spaghetti noodles coated in Skyline's secret blend of seasonings. A heaping spoonful of kidney beans goes on next, followed by Skyline's "original, secret-recipe chili," some chopped onions and a heaping mound of finely shredded aged cheddar.

IF you don't like beans, then you get the 4 way.

Beans are not in the Chili but piled on top...

Posts: 23468 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post