SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best method for moving a Motorcycle cross country?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best method for moving a Motorcycle cross country? Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
I will soon be moving 2600 miles across the US. Trying to figure out what to do to get my motorcycle to the destination, but cant figure out the best way. Anyone have any recommendations? The options as I see them are:

-Ship it. I made a listing on uShip, but all of the quotes I got were $1000+

-Tow it. uHaul wont rent motorcycle trailers for one way trips. They offered the utility trailer instead, but I'm not sure that's the best option. My main goal is not having to tow anything for that distance, as I have a lot of experience towing trailers, and absolutely hate having to do so on a trip of that length.

-Load it. I could load the bike into the back of my truck, but I worry about its exposure and stability over that distance, as I feel like a strong cross wind, combined with a bump or two, might knock it over. I have also seen those trailer hitch mounted carriers like this: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcy...a-569654836010&psc=1

However, I don't know if this is a reliable option at all.

-Sell it. Buy a new one at my destination. I like my current bike, but I'm not emotionally invested in it. Its probably worth about $4000, and I would plan to buy another of the same type when I get where I'm going.

Has anyone used any or all of the above methods, and which did you think was best?

Posts: 4460 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you don't favor towing, but another option is to buy a used bike trailer, tow it, and sell on the other end. Even if you lose a couple hundred or less still not a bad option.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12437 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Questions...Are you taking other stuff with you (i.e. household items, furniture, etc)? If so how are they getting there? What kinda bike?

Personally, if I were driving my truck to my new home and had the room, I'd probably buy a good cover for the bike and put it in the back of the truck with me. Use some good heavy duty tie downs on both front and back and you should be good to go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Load it in the back of the truck.
Strap it down properly and check each stop and you’ll be fine.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Back in the summer of 1995 I towed my 1983 Honda Magna V45 from NJ to Ft. Collins, CO with my 1967 Olds 4-4-2. ~1,800 miles, no issues. I used a cheap 4 X 8 trailer I got from Home Depot. I doubled up on the tie downs, 2 in each corner (8 total). I also screwed down 2 - 2X4s on the deck and put the tires between them.

Posts: 5766 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of motorcycle? I put my 2018 BMW R12GS in the back of my 2010 Tundra and towed it 2400 miles from PA to Tucson, AZ without incident. I drove solo and didnt have any issues with the bike in the bed of the truck. If you decide to haul your bike in the bed of your truck buy a front wheel chock. It was the best accessory I purchased to haul my bike out to AZ and you can buy a decent one from Revzilla or cycle gear for less than 100 bucks. The chock will allow you to load the bike solo and will keep the bike upright should one of your tie downs fail.

Two years ago i was looking to purchase a bike from out of state and the dealership told me they routinely ship motorcycles all over the country using UPS freight so you may want to check UPS out and see what their rates are. Last but not least it's not a bad idea to rent the trailer from Uhaul. Sure it's a pain to tow anything across country but renting a trailer from. Uhaul will be your cheapest option plus you can load more in the trailer than just the motorcycle.

If you decide to tow the bike in a trailer or haul it in the back of your truck make sure you check the tie down straps frequently. They have been known to come loose from time to time so best to check them whenever you stop for gas. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Ride it. Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10931 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
My son bought one like you linked in Amazon. It was the worst thing ever. I wouldn't drive it down the block much less across country. He ended up buying one from Joe Hauler out of California, but at almost a grand in cost. He has a Suburban so that is his only option. If it were me, I would load it in the truck and secure it. If you secure it properly it will be very stable. Not any more exposure that the carrier and much more stable. that is how he got his bike when he bought it in Arizona and used my truck to bring it back.

Posts: 378 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following for personal research

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
For security and protection from the elements a covered u-haul trailer might be the best route. I rented mine one way (Portsmouth VA to Winston Salem NC) and brought Big Bird home behind my minivan! It set me back a little over $100 to bring it home. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
How big and heavy of a bike is it?

Posts: 26934 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
What bike?

I hauled my old R1200GS in a F-150 all over the place. Zero issues. Same for a XL600 years earlier in a Chevy S-10.

There IS a method to properly secure it, but it isn't rocket science.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Transporting vehicles is very expensive. Sell it and buy a new one after you move.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Put the bike in your truck, load the truck on a trailer and pull it with the U-haul?

I've done several moves with a utility trailer. Make a channel out of (2) 4x4's and then strap it down. Never had one wiggle.

An inexpensive, lightly used utility trailer can be sold for about 90% of its' purchase price in a few days in just about every part of the country

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you decide to carry it in the back of your truck or open trailer do not put a cover on it. The wind blows on the cover and rubs the paint off and damages the chrome surfaces. I have seen this happen with many bikes coming trough the shop.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never miss an opportunity to ride

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9166 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I moved to the Yoop, I rented a 26 foot box truck. Wooden bed. I drilled four holes in the bed and screwed heavy duty eye hooks into the floor. Tie downs went into the eye hooks and my bike went north with the rest of my valuable crap without a hitch. Before I turned the truck in, I unscrewed the eye hooks and puttied up the holes.
So... That worked!
But your best option might be truck bed / wheel chock or small U-Haul.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
U-Haul enclosed trailer fan. Ride it in, rope it down, and more room for personal items. A 5'x8' is not hard to get used to. The 6'x12' I recently towed across counter pulled along like it wasn't even there, all 4700 pounds of it. Caution when merging, as you have to remember your truck is almost twice as long.

I favor leaving Friday at 6:30pm, drive thru the night, bunk down Saturday 2pm to 4am Sunday morning, and rough it Sunday night. Monday you'll be practically there.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
If you decide to haul your bike in the bed of your truck buy a front wheel chock. It was the best accessory I purchased to haul my bike out to AZ and you can buy a decent one from Revzilla or cycle gear for less than 100 bucks. The chock will allow you to load the bike solo and will keep the bike upright should one of your tie downs fail.

This, or the enclosed Uhaul trailer. Some of the chocks will have a crossbar that adds stability. The Uhauls should have provisions to secure at multiple points and will hide the bike from thieves if you park somewhere for the night to catch a little sleep. An alarm to mount to the bike would be a good deterrent too. Thieves WILL target a bike sitting in a motel or rest area overnight. If you haven't guessed I've had experience with thieves. I hate them.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Questions...Are you taking other stuff with you (i.e. household items, furniture, etc)? If so how are they getting there? What kinda bike?

Yes, but I am having all of that other stuff shipped via those UHaul Pods things.

The bike is a Yamaha FZ-07

Posts: 4460 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post