SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best method for moving a Motorcycle cross country?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best method for moving a Motorcycle cross country? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have neither personal knowledge nor experience with this company, but the only thing they do is transport motorcycles:

https://haulbikes.com

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
How big and heavy of a bike is it?

Not too big, not too heavy. A Yamaha FZ-07

Thank you, everyone, for all of your great feedback. I will continue to read these responses with great interest.

Posts: 4460 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rented an FZ-07 in Maui, a really fun bike. I'd rent a covered Penske so that you can leave it in a motel/hotel parking lot and be reasonably assured that the bike parts will be there in the morning. I have rented a Penske one way more than once. Not sure what their current policy is.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
How big and heavy of a bike is it?

Not too big, not too heavy. A Yamaha FZ-07

Thank you, everyone, for all of your great feedback. I will continue to read these responses with great interest.

I’d put the bike and any other high value items in an enclosed U Haul trailer and enlist the aid of a co-driver to make the trip.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Ride it. Smile

This is the correct answer. Let someone else drive the van. Take advantage of doing a wonderful one way road trip on your motorcycle.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In order of
Cheapness:
Ride it
Bed of truck
Enclosed trailer

Seriously, it will be fine in the bed of the truck, strap it in upright down the center of the truck, use four straps.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Have you priced transport from Uship?

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Have you priced transport from Uship?

Yes. As I was doing the estimate it said to expect around $500. Instead, every quote I got was over $1000.

I think I am going to go with the UHaul option. When I moved last time I towed a 6'x12' trailer and hated it. It slowed me significantly, caught the wind, made parking a PITA, etc. But I did the measurements, and my bike should fit in the 5'x8' trailer, which is significantly smaller overall and I think will be easier.

For those of you saying to ride it, the bike is only 685CC and is a sport bike. Not exactly something to ride 2500 miles.

Posts: 4460 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

For those of you saying to ride it, the bike is only 685CC and is a sport bike. Not exactly something to ride 2500 miles.

For a good while I fancied the idea of riding one of my motorcycles cross country but when I hauled my bike cross country in the back of my truck i learned i would never try it on my bike. It took me 4 days, 12+ hours a day of hard driving to cover 2400 miles from PA to Tucson, AZ. If I attempted to drive that distance on a bike it would have taken me 8-9 days and I would have been whipped when I arrived in Tucson. I know lots of folks ride long distance but you really need to have your bike setup to ride those types of miles.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Drive that thing across country Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance style, then fly back and get the vehicle. Otherwise, ship it or just sell it and buy another after you settle in.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Ride it. Smile

This is the correct answer. Let someone else drive the van. Take advantage of doing a wonderful one way road trip on your motorcycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egMWlD3fLJ8

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Selling a sport bike is not fun. Watching someone you barely know test ride your sport bike is a nervous and anxiety laced experience. I’d transport it before dealing with selling and buying another sportbike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I understand if you just don't want to ride it that far, or don't have the time, but a 685cc motorcycle would certainly not be a problem doing so on.
One of my more memorable rides was on a 35 hp, single cylinder, motorcycle. I started from Phoenix, zig zagged up California into Oregon, Idaho, Utah, then back to Phoenix. It was almost exactly 5,000 miles. The following year I rode it back to WV from Phoenix which was maybe 2,500. A long trip is nothing more than a series of day rides done in a row.

FWIW were I in your situation, and riding wasn't an option, I'd take it in the back of my truck before fooling with dragging a trailer. I strongly recommend buying a chock to secure the front wheel from turning, 4 Ancra straps (don't fool with cheaper ones or ratchet straps), and 4 soft-ties which go on the bike so the strap hooks don't have to touch the bike. If you don't have this stuff may as well buy it, you'll use it over and over again over the years. And if you do decide to use a trailer you'll need these same items.

The disadvantage to taking it in a truck is simply getting it on then back off but backing up to a small hill or dropping the rear wheels in a ditch can make it easy. The nice thing is once it's secured in a truck you can keep an eye on it in your mirror, you can't see what it's doing back in an enclosed trailer. Unlike pulling a box trailer hauling a motorcycle in a pick up hardly affects performance or mpg.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHau...375&s=gateway&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Ancra-4...877&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/RHINO-U...y&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
-Load it. I could load the bike into the back of my truck, but I worry about its exposure and stability over that distance, as I feel like a strong cross wind, combined with a bump or two, might knock it over. I have also seen those trailer hitch mounted carriers like this:

I moved back and forth from Cleveland to Phoenix some odd years ago. I hauled my Yamaha R6 in the back of my F-150 whilst towing a 8x10 trailer. No issues whatsoever.

The most difficult part of that operation is loading the motorcycle into the truck. If you've never used ramps before, I would NOT attempt it by yourself. Utilize a feature in the terrain that will get your tailgate close to the ground. My preferred method is to back my truck into the irrigation ditch at the end of my yard. When I open the tailgate, It is 3 inches off the deck.

I drive with dirtbikes in the bed of my truck all the time as well. The only special equipment I used on any motorcycle transport is this:

Handlebar Harness

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've trailered a bike (large cruiser) to/from Alaska 3 times. Twice on a modified flatbed trailer I built, and once in the back of my pickup. I picked up my sprint ST from anchorage with my pickup due to snow. I trailered my R1200GS Adv back from near Inuvik (Dempster Hwy, NWT). Actually, some really nice people did that for me, I was busy getting life flighted... Just strap it correctly, and it'll be fine. DO NOT bottom out the suspension. Leave some travel. Load the suspension just enough to keep the bike from hopping around, chock the tires, and that's all you need.

Don't ride the bike up or down the ramp. Put two ramps, one for you to walk up next to the bike and one for the bike. I generally motor up the ramp while walking next to the bike. Engine off for coming down. More people helps, but isn't necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you should be fine inside the back of the moving truck if you remove the fuel and properly stow it. Most moving trucks have spots to strap things to. If you wanted to be extra careful you could construct a wood framework to immobilize it and make it harder to tip. A quick google can give you some ideas. Would be cheap and effective.

Maybe something like this. You could block out the wheels so they couldn't move.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
In that picture I'd expect to see a cracked fairing below the "M", and cracked subframe if shipped long distance or over rough terrain.

Definitely needs wheel chocks (front at least). If the front wheel is against the front frame, that may work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I've never used a chock but its a really good idea. Never had one fall but I have had to pull over and adjust things.

As said before, do not bottom out the suspension when strapping in, it can damage the fork seals.

I've always been leary of hauling a bike in an enclosed uhaul trailer. Probably just paranoia but my fear is that the tires may slip (as my boots often do) on the smooth metal floor when turning. Again, a chock would probably be a very good idea. I also question the strength of the tie down points but I am cautious where babies are concerned.

Good luck with your move!

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
After reading your responses to member questions, just stuff the bike in the back of your truck and call it a day. I think you're over thinking this.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If you decide to put it in the back of a truck take a look at Wheeldock chocks. They're not the cheapest but they're probably the most secure. I use mine in the garsge when the bike's not being trailered to hold it upright and save a little space in the garage. It holds my Indian that about twice the weight of the FZ solid as a rock. On a different note I'm looking to pick up an MT-07 for shorter, fun rides.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post