SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best method for moving a Motorcycle cross country?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best method for moving a Motorcycle cross country? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
In that picture I'd expect to see a cracked fairing below the "M", and cracked subframe if shipped long distance or over rough terrain.

Definitely needs wheel chocks (front at least). If the front wheel is against the front frame, that may work.

Yeah, the picture isn’t the best example frankly. It was just the first one I saw that gave the general idea.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Pickup truck?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved cross country 3 times with motorcycles. I am VERY attached to my bike. She even has a name

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2nd time I have typed out a nice detailed (long) post & only the 1st line posts

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
2nd time I have typed out a nice detailed (long) post & only the 1st line posts

New laptop, and the trackpad is selecting text from your palm brushing against it?
Then it gets deleted inadvertently when you hit "return"?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give these guys a vote https://www.a1autotransport.com/motorcycles/ but I've only used them once, which was last year. Seemed to be on the affordable side and they'll give you a price up front so you can compare.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I will soon be moving 2600 miles across the US. Trying to figure out what to do to get my motorcycle to the destination, but cant figure out the best way. Anyone have any recommendations? The options as I see them are:

-Ship it. I made a listing on uShip, but all of the quotes I got were $1000+

-Tow it. uHaul wont rent motorcycle trailers for one way trips. They offered the utility trailer instead, but I'm not sure that's the best option. My main goal is not having to tow anything for that distance, as I have a lot of experience towing trailers, and absolutely hate having to do so on a trip of that length.

-Load it. I could load the bike into the back of my truck, but I worry about its exposure and stability over that distance, as I feel like a strong cross wind, combined with a bump or two, might knock it over. I have also seen those trailer hitch mounted carriers like this: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcy...a-569654836010&psc=1

However, I don't know if this is a reliable option at all.

-Sell it. Buy a new one at my destination. I like my current bike, but I'm not emotionally invested in it. Its probably worth about $4000, and I would plan to buy another of the same type when I get where I'm going.

Has anyone used any or all of the above methods, and which did you think was best?

Based on your comments of not wanting to tow it and over concerns on the putting in the truck bed then I'd sell it and buy another when you get to your new home.

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my current bike about 11 or so years ago. I live in Utah, and I bought it from a guy in Trenton, New Jersey. I researched bike specific shipping companies and was ready to go that route. I found a small company out of Arizona that was able to arrange and ship with the same company I was ready to go with, for around $100 cheaper than the company quoted me. I believe it ended up being around $275 or so to ship the bike.

It arrived in perfect condition and the company specialized in motorcycles. There were several in the covered trailer and they have these cool wheel chocks that they lock your bike in place with. The hydraulic lift made unloading simple and painless. The driver told me that he brings his personal bike along on his treks so that he can scoot around on it during his nights when he isn't driving. It's easy enough to load and unload for the driver to bring his own bike. That says something to me, and the companies that ship motorcycles. All in all, it was a painless and simple process to ship. My bike is a Yamaha Road Star Warrior, for what it's worth. Not a small, or uber light weight bike. It's long and the handlebars are wide. Very good experience.

I'm sure the cost of shipping has risen in the past years, but just wanted to give you my feedback from when I had to ship my bike cross country.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would load it in my pickup. Ask a local small engine sales/repair place to use their pickup height loading ramp, they should have one. Use double tie downs in each corner and check at fuel stops. Research online, proper motorcycle tiedown procedures.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post