SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eggs AREN’T bad for your heart!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eggs AREN’T bad for your heart! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

Two baked eggs most days.
I have never had a baked egg. What is your recipe?

I’ve never had a baked egg either, and I’m curious about them. I suspect that I’d like ‘em.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8992 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

LOL Frank, that early in the morning it is enough of a challenge to make what I listed while keeping my eyes open. Whipping up some Hollandaise I fear would only end up in a mini-disaster! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Well, sir, it might be entirely possible to make up a small batch of said sauce the night before and keep it viable in a thermos, allowing one to partake in the morning without the stress of having to build such a delightful concoction, before being fully awake, but i could be wrong... Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Nobody really knows shit when it comes to nutrition, it seems.

Especially the ones that say they know.

I eat probably two dozen eggs a week. Usually with butter, sometimes with a malicious amount of bacon grease.

I'm down 65 pounds and my liver is great and my labs are great.

I'll do it my way.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

Two baked eggs most days.
I have never had a baked egg. What is your recipe?

I’ve never had a baked egg either, and I’m curious about them. I suspect that I’d like ‘em.

Crack a dozen into a muffin tin. Salt & pepper, any other seasonings you might like. Maybe a little slice of cheese or jalapeno. 15-20 minutes at 350. Nineteen minutes is best in my oven. YMMV.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5487 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I eat probably two dozen eggs a week. Usually with butter, sometimes with a malicious amount of bacon grease.

I'll do it my way.

Same here. I am down about 100 pounds since after Christmas 2018. We have been doing a dirty Keto diet.

Just did my yearly labs, and my numbers are great. Although my overall cholesterol went up, 179 from 154, it is still very good. However, my triglycerides went from 74 to 69, and my HDL went from 50 to 63. So my high fat, low carb and zero sugar diet hasn't made my cholesterol skyrocket.

I do have about 70 more pounds to get to my goal, but I am not in a hurry.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The only way I'll eat eggs is scrambled "dry". (I don't really like eggs.) Every couple of weeks I'll relive my childhood and go to Waffle House for a "waffle supper" like my mom made when I was a kid: Waffles with oleo and syrup, bacon or sausage, scrambled eggs, toast, and milk. The only difference with my WH experience is that they use butter and I have to have the sugar-free syrup. They also normally have grits or hash-browns as part of the meal, but I don't care for those and have sliced tomatos instead. I usually get the sausage patties instead of the bacon, because they don't use the best bacon. (I don't know who makes their sausage, but it's very tasty.)

I know that we're supposed to eat some eggs occasionally, and I figure 2 eggs every couple of weeks meets the requirement.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ve had 4-5 eggs for breakfast most every day for the last year. They are cooked in about a teaspoon of home rendered tallow. I usually pair them with a baked potato which is adorned with some nice butter, usually Kerrygold.

I recently had lab work done. The results were phenomenal. On paper I *should* have high cholesterol and diabetes, but I don’t. My doctor said my labs were fantastic, especially given my obesity (hey, down 60 and counting).

The mighty egg and spuds: the best a man can ask for.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll do it my way.

I felt the same way as you chogosuerte and ate what ever the hell I wanted and was so healthy I had not seen a doctor in over 40 years... when I got sick with the flue or such I just got better on my own.. and when I got hurt I worked through it...
until last April... when they bust you through he doors of the ER on a gurney and about 12 people surround you, a guy with the world's sharpest sizzers takes 20 seconds to cut all your clothes off and then they shave you in places and stick all kind of things on you and in you... you know your life has changed....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
about 3 eggs a day. 21 a week. all over easy.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Like these? Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8992 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My labs are very good too, particularly the HDL/LDL ratio, which is apparently more important than total cholesterol (and of course THAT is probably the result of a "recent medical study").

I eat eggs 4 days/week, sometimes 5. Two or three scrambled or over medium, always with either breakfast sausage or bacon.

Whole milk, real butter, whole milk yogurt...

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
quote:

I'll do it my way.

I felt the same way as you chogosuerte and ate what ever the hell I wanted and was so healthy I had not seen a doctor in over 40 years... when I got sick with the flue or such I just got better on my own.. and when I got hurt I worked through it...
until last April... when they bust you through he doors of the ER on a gurney and about 12 people surround you, a guy with the world's sharpest sizzers takes 20 seconds to cut all your clothes off and then they shave you in places and stick all kind of things on you and in you... you know your life has changed....

I don't eat what I want (no, or very little, sugar of any form, no, or very little carbs, no processed foods).

If it won't rot, I won't eat it. Mostly meat/eggs/greens.

I used to be fat. I used to eat everything I wanted. Lots of sugar, lots of carbs. I used to have a fatty liver. I used to have horrible labs.

Then they rolled my dad in on one of those gurneys and he had a quadruple bypass.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Like these?
i flip one at a time lol.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My labs are very good too, particularly the HDL/LDL ratio, which is apparently more important than total cholesterol (and of course THAT is probably the result of a "recent medical study").
Buddy of mine who SAYS he's "Keto" (but I doubt he's ever reached Ketosis in his life) told me the older we are, our body needs MORE/HIGHER cholesterol. Any truth to that?? Seeing how my Cardiologist wants my LDL to stay below 70, I'm not sure that's feasible/desired.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Buddy of mine who SAYS he's "Keto" (but I doubt he's ever reached Ketosis in his life) told me the older we are, our body needs MORE/HIGHER cholesterol. Any truth to that?? Seeing how my Cardiologist wants my LDL to stay below 70, I'm not sure that's feasible/desired.

I don’t know. What I do know is that my total cholesterol level is up around 225, which was always considered “borderline high.” My primary care physician says that most people would kill for lab results like mine. I had a cardiologist tell my wife and I that he doesn’t even look at total cholesterol anymore, instead focusing on that HDL/LDL ratio (and apparently, my doctor agrees). As the commercials say, “Talk to your doctor.”

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I changed the way I eat over a year ago, I have increased my fats and protein, while reducing my carbohydrate intake to a minimum (typically less than 20g per day). I lost 30lbs, feel better, think clearer, and my bloodwork was perfect.

I wont ever tell someone what food they should eat, but that system did wonders for me. I went "off for a short time around Christmas, and realized how bad sugar and carbs make me feel.

As far as the butter and eggs, I ate at least four eggs, sunny side up with butter and bacon bits for probably 8 months. That was before my good bloodwork, so I wouldn't worry about that many eggs. I just got sick of eggs haha....

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
...focusing on that HDL/LDL ratio
Cholesterol HDL, LDL, Triglycerides Ratio Calculator