SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eggs AREN’T bad for your heart!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eggs AREN’T bad for your heart! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Eggs will not increase your heart disease or stroke risk as previously feared, a thirty-year study has found…”

https://mol.im/a/8074087

My over easy eggs. I make ‘em without flipping – I use the cover-and-steam method to cook their tops. The dark specks are bits from the herbed butter that I like. Added black pepper, salt, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce before eating.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8993 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just wait a week they will be again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Wife made me go to a nutrition class after I had a massive heart attack last year.... yep, eggs are okay in moderation....

I have tried to cut back on them... as well as cheese*... and I have actually eliminated bacon and fries....

*Still waiting to get an appointment with my lawyer to discuss suing Cabet Cheese... I was doing about 2lbs a week of their Seriously Sharp before I had the big one....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
yep, eggs are okay in moderation....

What's the definition of "moderation" though. I've been cutting back on carbs (no more oatmeal), so I switched to eggs. I usually have 4 eggs per day for breakfast. No bacon, sausage or toast on the side, just 4 eggs. I was talking with my mom the other day, and she was like there's no way > 25 eggs per week is good for you.

I have my yearly physical this month, I plan on talking with my doc about it.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Just wait a week they will be again.

Jesse, you stole my post. Smile

quote:
... and I have actually eliminated bacon...

Eliminating bacon doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wife made me go to a nutrition class after I had a massive heart attack last year.... yep, eggs are okay in moderation....

I have tried to cut back on them... as well as cheese*... and I have actually eliminated bacon and fries....

*Still waiting to get an appointment with my lawyer to discuss suing Cabet Cheese... I was doing about 2lbs a week of their Seriously Sharp before I had the big one....

Everything is OK in moderation! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8933 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
yep, eggs are okay in moderation....

What's the definition of "moderation" though. I've been cutting back on carbs (no more oatmeal), so I switched to eggs. I usually have 4 eggs per day for breakfast. No bacon, sausage or toast on the side, just 4 eggs. I was talking with my mom the other day, and she was like there's no way > 25 eggs per week is good for you.

I have my yearly physical this month, I plan on talking with my doc about it.

I do the exact thing everyday that you do. 4 eggs but I do have a slice of toast with them. 7 days a week. My cholesterol numbers have improved dramatically. My doctor is really pleased with the numbers as am I.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

Eliminating bacon doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it.

That absolutely needs to be a sig line, sir!!!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods one can eat. Eat as many as you want.

Cooking your eggs in butter or bacon grease every morning might be an issue though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Cooking your eggs in butter or bacon grease every morning might be an issue though.
It would seem boiling them would be the best method then. I guess??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I too have added eggs back into my diet (I soft cook them in an Instant Pot). The prevailing theory is that dietary cholesterol has no influence on serum cholesterol. As stated, just don't overdo it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I believe that too:

“Cholesterol in food has only a small effect on the bad (LDL) cholesterol in your blood…”

www.heartfoundation.org.au/hea...holesterol_levels_21

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8993 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Eggs for energy”

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
I believe that too:

“Cholesterol in food has only a small effect on the bad (LDL) cholesterol in your blood…”

www.heartfoundation.org.au/hea...holesterol_levels_21

I was just about to post this.

In short, man doesn’t know as much as he thinks he knows.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
It would seem boiling them would be the best method then. I guess??

Nah. Rocky Balboa style. In a cup and down the hatch! Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given time, everything will be found to be bad for you. Given a bit more time, then it won't be. Life is short. Eat, drink, and enjoy whatever you want while employing a modicum of common sense. I'll take mine over easy.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Man, right after college I was into working out all the time. I did that for a while. It was about all I could do from gagging. I switched to whey protein shakes, much easier to swallow!

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Per the article...
What about eggs?

Most people don’t need to worry about eggs and cholesterol. Eggs are very nutritious. They contain good quality protein, lots of vitamins and minerals, and healthier polyunsaturated fat. The dietary cholesterol in eggs has only a small effect on blood LDL cholesterol, so you can enjoy up to six eggs each week as part of a healthy balanced diet.

6 eggs ought to get me through Monday and part way through Tuesday!

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is very little that makes me gag just "thinking about it". But that's one of 'em. Uggggghh...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

Man, right after college I was into working out all the time. I did that for a while. It was about all I could do from gagging. I switched to whey protein shakes, much easier to swallow!

I've honestly never tried it myself.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)