SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing Bathroom Sink Trap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Bathroom Sink Trap Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I saw another thread here on faucets, so I figured it would be OK to ask this.

My bathroom sink has become a "slow drain," indicating a clog in the trap. I went under the sink with some slip-joint pliers and proceeded to loosen both ends of the P-trap.

However, the pipe will not disengage at the far end of the trap. I cannot get the threaded fastener to completely separate. It's PVC plastic. I can't believe it's stripped, but I'm not willing to re-fasten the connectors and dump a bunch of chemicals into the sink.

Any suggestions?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Used a plunger yet?

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may know this, but it's a compression fitting with a "tail" of the pipe extending into it. Once the threads are free, you still need to slide the ring against the friction of the gasket.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Go buy one of those "hair zip it" things and try it, if it's in the trip lever or trap it will work.
Zip it

I use them all the time (and I have all the other expensive options)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Go buy one of those "hair zip it" things and try it, if it's in the trip lever or trap it will work.
Zip it

I use them all the time (and I have all the other expensive options)

Yep, this first. Saves much frustration.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
Have you removed the pop-up stopper already to make sure that's not the issue? Soap and hair buildup around the stopper can slow water drainage.

While you have the stopper out, take a wet vac to the drain. You may need to plug the hole where the pivot rod enters the drain pipe temporarily for maximum suction.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gspdude:
Have you removed the pop-up stopper already to make sure that's not the issue?

Yup. #1 issue, the pop-up rod transversing through the pop-up is a beautifully-engineered mechanism for catching hair. Which begats soap. Which grabs dirt. More hair. Grease ...

Sounds like the threaded trap nut is cross-threaded. A new plastic trap is four bucks. Into the wall, p-trap. Into the deck, s-trap. Lav sinks are typically 1 ¼" ... I've got two of them in chrome on my shelf ... 17 gauge, naturally Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Pop up stopper was hair collector making drain real slow. Took about 10 minutes after I figured out P trap was clear.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post