SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Philo TV Opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philo TV Opinions Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
Does anyone use Philo for streaming TV. We got rid of satellite TV a while back due to the expense and lack of use. We have been using YouTube TV which I thought was a decent value at $50/month. They recently announced a price increase to $65 so I’m looking elsewhere. I came across Philo at $20/month. They don’t have locals or sports which we don’t watch anyway.

What are your opinions of it if you use Philo?

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I transitioned to streaming just a few months ago so my opinion doesn't really carry a lot of experience. I'm still transitioning. My most recent exchange was I canceled SLING TV and went with PHILO. It was just about $10 less than SLING. I purchased the SLING with their cloud based DVR that I thought I could fast forward thru commercials, which was very selective and some of the programs you could not fast forward thru at all. With the PHILO I can stop/pause the show and swipe the track pad on the Apple TV remote and skip thru the commercials. It will display a small menu bar at the bottom of the screen showing a small frame-by-frame during the fast forward so you know when your past the commercials. So, PHILO was a better option at a cheaper cost than SLING.

I use an outdoor OTA antenna plugged into a Tablo DVR for the locals. I don't watch news at all but I monitor the weather during hurricane season. I just record some shows like Blue Bloods, Blind Spot, and a few others on local networks. The Tablo has a commercial free skip feature than automatically skips thru all commercials for you..works like a charm too I might add.

Additionally lately I've thought about leaving PHILO also as I'm currently weighing out just how practical paying the $$ just to record some shows on HIST or the Travel channel. I wish there were another option where you could pick and choose just a few programs you like from those network broadcasts, and have the recording capability to either skip or FF thru commercials. I'm asking a lot though.

PHILO is a great streaming option though for those networks that you may enjoy like Paramount, Travel, HIST, and a host of others. I'd recommend it if you really like those broadcasts. I spend most of my time watching Netflix, and recorded stuff on the local OTA DVR.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pluto TV is free. There are other channels of Roku that are free with commercial. Currently only paying for commercial free HULU and a month of Amazon Prime. Basically I use TV as a time waster while I do something else. There are some movies on Amazon and Hulu that are on pare with Hollywood without as much social brainwashing. I have an OTA antenna, 25 chanels, DVR capacity but don't use it

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post