SIGforum
Philo TV Opinions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2030035274

July 19, 2020, 02:08 PM
Kyjondeere
Philo TV Opinions
Does anyone use Philo for streaming TV. We got rid of satellite TV a while back due to the expense and lack of use. We have been using YouTube TV which I thought was a decent value at $50/month. They recently announced a price increase to $65 so I’m looking elsewhere. I came across Philo at $20/month. They don’t have locals or sports which we don’t watch anyway.

What are your opinions of it if you use Philo?
July 19, 2020, 04:40 PM
just1tym
I transitioned to streaming just a few months ago so my opinion doesn't really carry a lot of experience. I'm still transitioning. My most recent exchange was I canceled SLING TV and went with PHILO. It was just about $10 less than SLING. I purchased the SLING with their cloud based DVR that I thought I could fast forward thru commercials, which was very selective and some of the programs you could not fast forward thru at all. With the PHILO I can stop/pause the show and swipe the track pad on the Apple TV remote and skip thru the commercials. It will display a small menu bar at the bottom of the screen showing a small frame-by-frame during the fast forward so you know when your past the commercials. So, PHILO was a better option at a cheaper cost than SLING.

I use an outdoor OTA antenna plugged into a Tablo DVR for the locals. I don't watch news at all but I monitor the weather during hurricane season. I just record some shows like Blue Bloods, Blind Spot, and a few others on local networks. The Tablo has a commercial free skip feature than automatically skips thru all commercials for you..works like a charm too I might add.

Additionally lately I've thought about leaving PHILO also as I'm currently weighing out just how practical paying the $$ just to record some shows on HIST or the Travel channel. I wish there were another option where you could pick and choose just a few programs you like from those network broadcasts, and have the recording capability to either skip or FF thru commercials. I'm asking a lot though.

PHILO is a great streaming option though for those networks that you may enjoy like Paramount, Travel, HIST, and a host of others. I'd recommend it if you really like those broadcasts. I spend most of my time watching Netflix, and recorded stuff on the local OTA DVR.

Regards, Will G.
July 19, 2020, 11:52 PM
oldbill123
Pluto TV is free. There are other channels of Roku that are free with commercial. Currently only paying for commercial free HULU and a month of Amazon Prime. Basically I use TV as a time waster while I do something else. There are some movies on Amazon and Hulu that are on pare with Hollywood without as much social brainwashing. I have an OTA antenna, 25 chanels, DVR capacity but don't use it