SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I got something for my Dad for Fathers Day
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I got something for my Dad for Fathers Day Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Get him talking to Lt. Perry again - maybe he can convince him!

We'd love to have you join us. The reunion in 2013 was in Savannah.

My father didn't talk much about it in earlier years - once he retired from the Air Force in 1968, he moved on to another career. It was just a year or so before Mom passed away (this weekend is the 5 year anniversary of that happening) that she got him talking, and got him to promise to go to one. We've been every year since then.

I'll work on it but these ole Boys are really stubborn! AND He's Greek to boot_ Double Stubborn!

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he won't come, then come on down by yourself! We'll work out photos that will make him envious of missing the trip!

BTW, my father was in the 2nd Air Division, 392nd BG, 576th Squadron. 32 missions as a gunner over Europe.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Get him talking to Lt. Perry again - maybe he can convince him!

We'd love to have you join us. The reunion in 2013 was in Savannah.

My father didn't talk much about it in earlier years - once he retired from the Air Force in 1968, he moved on to another career. It was just a year or so before Mom passed away (this weekend is the 5 year anniversary of that happening) that she got him talking, and got him to promise to go to one. We've been every year since then.

I'm sure he was your hero growing too!

posted Hide Post
That's the best thing I've read in a while. i do hope they get together soon. That 2003 article is pretty good as well. Greatest generation is no lie.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Cool. Very very cool.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Your OP had me grinning ear to ear. I really hope you can eventually find a way to convince your dad to go. It could happen. Jallen was right, you are lucky!

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, that was awesome!

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Very much enjoyed the read dtv. The man lived history.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That was a great story. And I'm sure they enjoyed their conversation. That was a great gift.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great story, nice work son!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
This may be my favorite story I've ever read here.

My dad was 101st Airborne in Vietnam, went in right after the Tet offensive. I think he was in country for 9 months, then got out as a supply sgt. He got an air assault medal (I think?), purple heart, and a bronze star. He doesn't talk about it, except a story of a mortar attack where some guys he knew were killed, and finding occasion to shoot his M16 in a house and rupture his eardrums. And one about someone blowing them self up with a grenade that had the pin fall out before it had been bent, throwing it like a hot potato goofing off. I do remember going to the memorial wit him when I was very young and him looking for old friends on the wall.

Yours is a very moving, and lucky, story!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Great story. I hope he goes to meet him.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
great story

Posts: 2638 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
That is an incredibly
cool story and what a great thing you did for your dad, VERY COOL....

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
One of the best Fathers Day presents I've heard.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1543 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybird86:
Well done sir. Well done!

Very well done!!!!

Can't say more right now, my screen just went all fuzzy again.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In that phone call, the years past dissolved, and those men were as if there was no time past.

You did good.

Thank you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post