SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I got something for my Dad for Fathers Day
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I got something for my Dad for Fathers Day Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
I was searching for B-17 Nose art (Perry's Pirates) for his ship and stumbled on this article

http://www.blueridgenow.com/ar...1/news/606053771/HT/
realizing this guy was older than my dad and it was written in 2003, I asked myself, Is he still alive?

Well, I gots to know, so I called the paper , they said the reporter is long gone suggested I call the historical society. Nada.
I searched for his wife's name: Willie Willams-Perry and found he lives in Kayti Texas and a phone # (Still the NC Area Code.) But what did I have to lose, I called it. A frail sounding man answered and I asked for Lt Harry Perry. He seemed confused so I said 8th Army Air Corp 34th bomb Group? He said oh yes!
I told him he doesn't know me but he knows my dad, John. There was a hesitation and then an explosive "WE"VE BEEN LOOKING FOR JOHN FOR 40 Years!"

I told him I was going to visit him the next day and can I call him so they could speak? He was exploding with the thought. So I printed this article and Gave my Dad a Fathers Day card and the article to read. after he read it he said that was all true. I told him I have a present for Fathers Day for him. He couldn't eat it smoke or Drink it in fact he couldn't even hold it. I secretly call Lt and there was NO ANSWER!!!!!
15 minutes later my phone rang and he asked for John, I said hold on and handed the phone to him. (he's looking at me to ask WHOS this?) I pointed to the article and said it's Lt Harry Perry!
They talked for 40 minutes and the smile never left his face! 73 years ago they were teamates on 30 bombing missions over Nazi Germany and they parted ways to go on with their lives. At Ages 92 and 96 they reunited.
Happy Fathers Day!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. Well done!

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
WOW! what a great story! Cool

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3292 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Fantastic!!

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!

Good on you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Boy, are you lucky!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
That is so amazing, glad they got back together. We are losing those guys way to fast and the world is worse off for it.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My father was a radio/gunner on a B-17 out of England as well. Those guys went through Hell and back over and over again. He didn't talk about it much, he just wanted to forget about it all. He did mention that every time they climbed into the planes at dawn for a new mission, they never expected to come back and a lot of his buddies didn't.

You did a great thing bringing those 2 warriors in contact with each other again.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Get another reporter to document them meeting.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Love these stories....

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. My grandfather flew 32 missions over Germany as a ball turret gunner. One of very few crews that did more than 30 in the early part of the war (plane and crew survived all).

Grandpa was in the 8th Air Force (Dolittle), 3rd Air Division (Lemay), 93rd Combat Bomb Wing, 385th Bomb Group. He was on the "Funk Crew" flying out of Great Ashfield, England.

Sadly he passed 12 years ago, but I have most of his collection of remembrances. Some of the stuff is absolutely amazing including crew photos, mission photos, and notes he took during the flight. The flight notes were verboten, but grandpa wrote them on small pieces of paper and rolled them up and placed them in an old toothpaste tube (he was sure the Jerrys would never look there Smile ).

Furtunately my grandfather was able to keep in touch with his crew while he was alive and was even able to reunite with a large part of the group in 1985 (in think) at the old airfield in Great Ashfield.

He was one of the greatest men I ever knew or will know.

YOU did a great thing for your father. Kudos!

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
hOW
Freakin cool!

you just made my day

Happy Fathers Day to All

Cheers`

Posts: 921 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's great!

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That is excellent!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome job!!!

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That.was.awesome.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
That is a really cool story.
Nice work.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 8th Air Force Historical Society will be holding their reunion at the end of September in New Orleans - do you think you might be able to make it?

http://www.8thafhs.org/new/

My father and I plan to attend - he flew on B-24's out of Wendling, which is about 40 miles north of where your father flew from Mendlesham!

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
The 8th Air Force Historical Society will be holding their reunion at the end of September in New Orleans - do you think you might be able to make it?

The Cocky one without the hat... Wonder where I got that same attitude?
http://www.8thafhs.org/new/

My father and I plan to attend - he flew on B-24's out of Wendling, which is about 40 miles north of where your father flew from Mendlesham!

I wanted to take him to Savannah (8th AAC museum, San Antonio for the B-17 Flight.... He said he's forgotten about it and didn't want to relive it. But in the past 2 years he's shared his experiences with me. Something he never did in my previous 62 years. Funny how in the twilight of your life, you open up and share those things. Lt Perry wanted him to come to Savannah to see the pics of my dad in the museum. But even though they talked, I know he will never go, kinda sad....
18 YO smiling ready to go on another mission

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get him talking to Lt. Perry again - maybe he can convince him!

We'd love to have you join us. The reunion in 2013 was in Savannah.

My father didn't talk much about it in earlier years - once he retired from the Air Force in 1968, he moved on to another career. It was just a year or so before Mom passed away (this weekend is the 5 year anniversary of that happening) that she got him talking, and got him to promise to go to one. We've been every year since then.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post