SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Widowers, do you still wear your wedding band?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Widowers, do you still wear your wedding band? Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
Gentlemen, for those of you that have lost your wife, do you continue to wear your wedding band?

Up until today, I swore that I would not remove mine until I am cremated. I want to honor her and our marriage by keeping it on my left hand.

Some people suggest moving it to the right hand.

My sister, who is a widow, told me to take the ring off if I want to date again. I do, because I cannot deal with the loneliness.

Another suggestion that came up is to wear a black band to indicate that I am a widower.

Your thoughts on this, please.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 2060 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't have the right words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

As far as the ring, I would say don't worry about any "rules" -- just do what feels right to you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks, LR
I took your advice on the therapist. I am grateful.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Mike, I don't have the right words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

As far as the ring, I would say don't worry about any "rules" -- just do what feels right to you.

Posts: 2060 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Yes I do.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would probably have it made into something else, like a pendant or different style ring.

If you plan on dating in the future, your sister is right.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
You're sister may be right, would your wife want you alone and unhappy? God sometimes sends messages in strange ways.

Posts: 2846 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I am truly sorry for your loss, I get it. You can wear it for as long as it helps you mourn.

In the small amount of the dating world I have seen, wearing it while you search is often taken as a sign that you are not ready to move on. Probably counterproductive.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

wear a black band to indicate that I am a widower.

Mike

Many of us don't know the significance of a black band.

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In the strange and confusing way that women work, I would think wearing your wedding ring would attract women.
As well as send the message that you are capable of commitment.

Posts: 21373 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I lost my wedding band probably 25 years ago. Have not wore a ring of any sort since. Honestly do not think a thing would of changed since I lost it. Does not bother my wife at all. Fwiw

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm going to lean on the presumptuous side. I'm not a widower.

Married life is filled with many memories. That is what my wife and I value. We don't even take pictures (rarely at best). We wear wedding bands every day but it's not really something we consider important. If one of us were to die, the decision to wear the band or not wouldn't matter to either of us. Again, it's the memories we cherish and that doesn't change regardless of the band.

That being said, I would continue to wear the band every day. I would remove it only if/when I became committed to someone else. Anybody who would take issue before that is probably not someone with whom I'd want to be. Same is true of anybody who would avoid me if I'm wearing the band.

I would ignore everything else and just do what feels right to you. Whatever happens will be meant to be. Don't change who you are. It's what your wife loved about you. I believe that anybody worthwhile, band or not, will see it too.

This is my opinion.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I would ignore everything else and just do what feels right to you. Whatever happens will be meant to be. Don't change who you are. It's what your wife loved about you. I believe that anybody worthwhile, band or not, will see it too.
Agreed, 100%

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Your opinion means a lot to me. Thank you.

quote:
I'm going to lean on the presumptuous side. I'm not a widower.

Married life is filled with many memories. That is what my wife and I value. We don't even take pictures (rarely at best). We wear wedding bands every day but it's not really something we consider important. If one of us were to die, the decision to wear the band or not wouldn't matter to either of us. Again, it's the memories we cherish and that doesn't change regardless of the band.

That being said, I would continue to wear the band every day. I would remove it only if/when I became committed to someone else. Anybody who would take issue before that is probably not someone with whom I'd want to be. Same is true of anybody who would avoid me if I'm wearing the band.

This is my opinion.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing. Then my sister suggested it. Cops wear black tape over their badges.

quote:
Originally posted by sonnydaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

wear a black band to indicate that I am a widower.

Mike

Many of us don't know the significance of a black band.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
She would not. She was a sport, always the funniest person in the room.

quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Your sister may be right, would your wife want you alone and unhappy? God sometimes sends messages in strange ways.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I would probably have it made into something else, like a pendant or different style ring.

If you plan on dating in the future, your sister is right.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody who would take issue before that is probably not someone with whom I'd want to be. Same is true of anybody who would avoid me if I'm wearing the band.

Women who see you while you are wearing a wedding band would assume that you are married, that would mean they believe that they are approaching a married man.

Women who are looking for a committed relationship would avoid approaching a man wearing a wedding band

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14251 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I am truly sorry for your loss, I get it. You can wear it for as long as it helps you mourn.

In the small amount of the dating world I have seen, wearing it while you search is often taken as a sign that you are not ready to move on. Probably counterproductive.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Yep. That already happened recently. I passed 3 women in a restaurant. One of them said “damn, he’s married.”

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Anybody who would take issue before that is probably not someone with whom I'd want to be. Same is true of anybody who would avoid me if I'm wearing the band.

Women who see you while you are wearing a wedding band would assume that you are married, that would mean they believe that they are approaching a married man.

Women who are looking for a committed relationship would avoid approaching a man wearing a wedding band

posted Hide Post
Wear it if you want to. Any woman worth her salt would be impressed by such devotion this day and time. It’s a rare trait. Having said that, I have never worn a ring of any kind. Saw my grandfather loose his ring finger because of a wedding ring. I’ve always done construction work so rings were out.

Posts: 67 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post