SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Widowers, do you still wear your wedding band?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Widowers, do you still wear your wedding band? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.
My wife passed 3.5 years ago of cancer after 25 years of marriage.
I wore mine until I felt it was time to remove it and placed it with hers in the safe.
I just felt it was time.That was 6 months ago.
I am not looking, but my brother's wife passed 1.5 years ago after 58 years of marriage. He has now remarried to a widow.
We are all different.

PC

Posts: 1374 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I built a memorial for Meredith in my office. If my ring comes off, I will add it to hers that is on a ribbon that I will sometimes visibly wear around my neck.

Posts: 2061 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, as well.

quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
Sorry for your loss.
My wife passed 3.5 years ago of cancer after 25 years of marriage.
I wore mine until I felt it was time to remove it and placed it with hers in the safe.
I just felt it was time.That was 6 months ago.
I am not looking, but my brother's wife passed 1.5 years ago after 58 years of marriage. He has now remarried to a widow.
We are all different.

PC

Posts: 2061 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss Mike, I can only imagine the pain.

I'm not a ring wearer, so you have to take my comments with a grain of salt. I agree with the folks who say do what feels right to you and don't worry about what others may think.

I guess I'm in the til death do us part crowd. I've talked to my wife of 40+ years about this because I'm pretty sure I will go first. I want her to be happy and don't want her to hesitate to pursue another relationship after I'm gone. She doesn't always wear her rings because of her work or gardening and I have no idea how long she would wear them after I was gone, but I would think that if she met somebody else she would stop wearing them.

For me it would be a non issue as I don't wear a ring except for our anniversary dinners or maybe a wedding if I remember to put it on.

I think that once you decide you are ready to consider dating that it would be easier to start a relationship without the ring and having then to explain that you are a widower.

My guess is that you will meet somebody who is right for you either way, so you should do what you feel in your heart.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thank you Roy,
I am 10 years older than Meredith. We both thought I’d go first. For 30 years, we would talk on the phone, about 12-15 times a day. That conversation is gone. I am thirsty for conversation. I just want a friend to start. I’m not looking for anything serious yet. I do not want to frighten someone off because of a ring.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Very sorry for your loss Mike, I can only imagine the pain.

I'm not a ring wearer, so you have to take my comments with a grain of salt. I agree with the folks who say do what feels right to you and don't worry about what others may think.

I guess I'm in the til death do us part crowd. I've talked to my wife of 40+ years about this because I'm pretty sure I will go first. I want her to be happy and don't want her to hesitate to pursue another relationship after I'm gone. She doesn't always wear her rings because of her work or gardening and I have no idea how long she would wear them after I was gone, but I would think that if she met somebody else she would stop wearing them.

For me it would be a non issue as I don't wear a ring except for our anniversary dinners or maybe a wedding if I remember to put it on.

I think that once you decide you are ready to consider dating that it would be easier to start a relationship without the ring and having then to explain that you are a widower.

My guess is that you will meet somebody who is right for you either way, so you should do what you feel in your heart.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
BTW, you guys are awesome!

Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
I took it off after 1 year. This October will be 14 years by myself.
She was 15 years junior to me and I also thought I go first .
My best for you.

Posts: 1900 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I know one person who now wears the wedding ring on a nice strong chain around his neck. He says his ring makes him think she is near and dear to his heart.

I like that.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by SeaCliff:
I took it off after 1 year. This October will be 14 years by myself.
She was 15 years junior to me and I also thought I go first .
My best for you.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I am not a widower, but like another poster to your thread, I wear a ring on a necklace in memory of someone I loved. My brother died over 30 years ago; I just haven’t gotten around to taking it off yet. I’ve actually added momentos to the chain from places I’ve gone.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Ironmike: I lost the love of my life 27 years ago.
I was by her bed side for her last breath.
In my tears I removed my ring and placed on my right hand,swore to God ,never to be put in this situation again.
I have kept my vows and my statement to God .
Everyone has different views on this and that is ok.

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you lost your wife, that sounds terrible. I haven't been through that, but your post made me think about how I'd feel if I were faced with it.

Neither of us places too much importance on our rings (heck, I lost mine whitewater rafting earlier this year and while I took a beating from the people I went with, my wife was bothered that I felt bad about losing it, not that I lost it.) If I ever do lose her though, I think that my ring would become one of the most important things I own.

After thinking about it though, I think I agree with your sister. Wear it until you're ready to take it off, and when you are put it in the safe spot you keep your wife's ring.

You may be ready in months, you may not be ready for years or even ever. It doesn't really matter, you're the only one who can know when the right time is and that's ok.

When (if) you are ready to move forward and start dating others, I would want it off. Both to honor your marriage to the wife you lost, and to start fresh and honor your relationship with the women you're presumably interested in building a new relationship with. Your wife will always be a huge part of who you are regardless of whether you're wearing the ring or not, but If you're not ready to put it away and treasure what was you're not ready to move forward.

Anyway, that's just my rambling thoughts on how I'd feel if I were ever in your situation. I don't know if any of it's helpful, but my heart hurts for you.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucnik:

I have never worn a ring of any kind. Saw my grandfather loose his ring finger because of a wedding ring. I’ve always done construction work so rings were out.
Long time ago, I worked on RADAR equipment, high voltage stuff, and saw another guy get seriously injured when his ring came in contact with the wrong thing.

I never wore a ring after that. Many years later, my wife wanted to know what I wanted as an anniversary gift. I was no longer working on electrical stuff, so I chose a (belated) wedding ring. I don't know how long I have had it, surely at least thirty years and probably longer. It has been off my hand for a cumulative total of probably less than fifteen minutes during all that time.

My wife does not wear her ring 24/7 like I do, but she always puts it on before leaving the house, even if it's just a quick run to Aldi or Tractor Supply to pick up some cat food.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

A quality got her shit together woman is unlikely to approach a man wearing a wedding band. If you approach her she’s likely to think you’re cheating. If you get the opportunity to explain it’s likely she’ll think you’re not ready for a new relationship.

Posts: 4331 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wore mine for a year before it got snagged on a stock trailer I was climbing out of. That was a wake-up call. Now it hangs on Kathleen’s necklace with her ring, on a wall in my home office.

I’m not interested in a new relationship, so that has nothing to do with my decision not to wear my wedding band any longer.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Sorry for your loss.

A quality got her shit together woman is unlikely to approach a man wearing a wedding band. If you approach her she’s likely to think you’re cheating. If you get the opportunity to explain it’s likely she’ll think you’re not ready for a new relationship.

I agree.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife passed 7/1/13. I moved my wedding ring to my right hand and wore it for several years. She had a terminal illness and I took care of her to the end. We had some candid talks about what I would do "after". I told her I would never re-marry and she replied "No, find someone who treats you at least as well as I do." I didn't tell her but I didn't want to go through the emotional and physical trauma of losing someone again.

Then I met someone who was so honest and open that I decided she was worth the risk of having to care for her to the end. I have been blessed by God to have not one but two soulmates in my life.

The bottom line: move at your own pace. Whether it's donating her clothes, rearranging the dresser or opening yourself to the possibility of another relationship don't worry about "when". You will know when it's time.

Posts: 709 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I am not a Quaker. But a newly-converted William Penn, after joining the pacifist Friends, asked George Fox if he should-- or could-- continue to wear his sword. Fox told him "Wear it as long as thou canst."

I haven't had to directly confront your question for myself but I think Fox's advice fits. You should wear it as long as you need to, and not a day or minute less.

And I am sorry for your loss, but also glad that you're navigating "after."

Posts: 2531 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who say, if you want to be in the market again, you need to take off the ring, and yes, no right thinking woman would approach a man wearing a wedding band.

Q

Posts: 27604 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss.

I want to comment on wearing a black band. Many guys wear the black silicone wedding bands today for numerous reasons but mostly safety reasons. I was a hotel maintenance manager for over 32 years and have worn a silicone band because my hands were frequently around electricity or things that my gold wedding band could get caught on. I'm not sure if wearing one would be apparent to a lot of people as a sign of mourning or remembrance, but its what it means to you that counts.

I do think you will find what feels right for you and in your own time.

Again, I'm so sorry and will keep you in my prayers.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post