SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My house has dragon fruit.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My house has dragon fruit. Login/Join 
posted
So I’m still unpacking some boxes but it’s finally looking home like enough that my wife is starting to come up with chores. In the backyard we have this old beat up wooden trellis and an ugly cactus plant growing. Well it has some truly weird space alien looking pods growing out of it. My wife wanted it gone but she got curious and cut one down. It’s called dragon fruit. I’ve had it in smoothies and açaí bowls but never saw one before. It’s very mild yet tasty. We made a smoothie with it and it was fantastic. I guess I now have to figure out how to build a new trellis without killing the now “my wife’s favorite plant”.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This guy? Yeah, dragon fruit is awesome.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Bought one and tried it for the first time a few months ago. Very mild. Neat fruit. Didn’t think to make a smoothie with it, I’ll have to try that out.

Posts: 17048 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe they grow like crazy in Vietnam.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, that’s it. Having never seen it before it is a goofy looking fruit in real life. I enjoyed the taste though. Not sure I would have cut it open and ate it if my wife hadn’t done the research. We also have a tree that has these huge lime looking fruit. Looks like a lime on steroids. She found it online as well. Something like palmonella or something. They are just tart without being very good. Maybe we cut them too early or too late.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I used to buy it from a woman on the beach at Na Trang.

Cool and delicious.

The natives called it hon lo(sp).

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3806 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Triffids...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43803 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
We also have a tree that has these huge lime looking fruit. Looks like a lime on steroids. She found it online as well. Something like palmonella or something.

Pomelo

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep that’s it. I hate grapefruit so maybe I just hate this too. Lol Pomelo.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Dragon Fruit, I like it. But it is as expensive as heck, app $6.00 each at HEB.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep that’s it. I hate grapefruit so maybe I just hate this too. Lol Pomelo.

You seem to have a lot of fruit bearing trees/plants on your property that you never knew about and/or don't like. Did all this come as a gradual surprise or did these plants spring up overnight?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Dragon Fruit is awesome!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7056 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha. Yup, we just moved from Maryland down to Florida at the end of last month. When we did our walkthroughs I didn’t really pay much attention to the backyard foliage. If you care we also have 3 fruit bearing papaya trees. Don’t think I have ever tasted that either, lol. The critters around my house are very well fed.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had Southeast Asian owners of the house previously.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Papaya has some very good health benefits.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Looks cool. Btw, i have never seen it before

Posts: 22 | Registered: September 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good guess. They were Vietnamese. Very into horticulture. The backyard had a long row of planters with what I took to be Banzai trees. Never really noticed the actual trees.

The interesting one is a normal tree in the backyard but with what appears to be a spliced cacti looking growth on it. I imagine it was done on purpose. Looks.....interesting. Big growth too. Been growing for years obviously.

This new backyard is fun. Apparently though my wife said I’m topping the papaya trees at a much lower height. Can’t get the fruit otherwise and then they just drop and rot or put a hole in the screened lanai. So either it works or I just killed 3 papayas.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Have you identified all of the other fruit trees?

If not, keep an eye out for Longan, Loquat, Kumquat, Passion Fruit, Guava, persimmon.

Also, if you notice beds of weeds, you are likely looking at various herbs used in Vietnamese cooking: mint, basil, perilla, coriander, etc.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ha ha. Yup, we just moved from Maryland down to Florida at the end of last month. When we did our walkthroughs I didn’t really pay much attention to the backyard foliage. If you care we also have 3 fruit bearing papaya trees. Don’t think I have ever tasted that either, lol. The critters around my house are very well fed.

You need some pineapple plants and some coconuts and you are ready to be in tropical mixed drink heaven!

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Had it in Singapore, good stuff, glad it grows here in the states.

HK Ag

Posts: 3494 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post