SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My house has dragon fruit.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My house has dragon fruit. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Bought two at the grocery store yesterday because of this thread. Gonna make a smoothie with one tonight. Figure I’ll try bananas and frozen strawberries in there also.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I eat it when in the Philippines, didn't know it grew here in the US

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Gonna make a smoothie with one tonight.

Whoa, this is good. Mango juice, one whole dragonfruit, several cups of frozen kiwis, strawberries and bananas.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you discover a Durian tree, they are best doused with gasoline and set on fire. You will thank me later.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need pics. So far I have misidentified papaya, dragon fruit, those bigass lime pomelo things. lol I wouldn't know a durian tree if it fell on my head.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If you take a bite and it tastes like vomit then its durian.

This is not advice to try to identify unknown plants by taste nor ingestion.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I need pics. So far I have misidentified papaya, dragon fruit, those bigass lime pomelo things. lol I wouldn't know a durian tree if it fell on my head.

Having durian land on your head might be the last thing that ever happens to you.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I believe they grow like crazy in Vietnam.

You are correct.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weird thing is they grow really fast. My wife picked all the fruit yesterday. Last night she yelled at me to come outside with a flashlight. It had flowered again. Big flower. Like a foot across and creepy looking. This thing is wild!

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Get some frozen berries and fire up your blender, man.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I used to fly from Oahu to the Big Island once a week for work. Every other week was Hilo. I loved going to the farmer's market and bringing back weird oriental fruit and apple bananas.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Having durian land on your head might be the last thing that ever happens to you.

The taste and smell are "ripe", like rotting garbage that is fermenting kind of "ripe". But it's popular in Southeast Asia and a "special" treat in the north where it does not grow. Planes and other transportation have "no durian" signs.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope I haven’t seen that. Thank goodness. I think my wife misidentified one tree and upon further taste testing/hacking we think it’s a blood orange tree.

I hope I don’t accidentally kill all these nice trees.