SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best/Most Useful Color/Pattern For Tactical Gear?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best/Most Useful Color/Pattern For Tactical Gear? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To reiterate my choice based on your (restated) question: MultiCam.

There are many possibilities for different situations, including trying to make a plate carrier into something that would not be noticed while walking down Broadway in NYC. Is anyone hoping it would be mistaken for courier vest, perhaps?

But if your reference to your paintball experience means that by “best” you are looking for camouflaged concealment or at least being able to blend into the background the best you can, then I stick with my recommendation for the reasons I stated above.

I will also reiterate that black is the worst for concealment (of the choices you listed; white, red, or orange would be worse), but any solid color does not blend into most backgrounds as well as a disruptive pattern incorporating nature’s common colors. As I was told in the 1970s at the Fort Belvoir laboratory when the woodland pattern was developed to replace the old OD fatigues we wore, disruptive camouflage helps concealment at “middle” distances.

And large, unnatural shapes of a single color are almost as rare in nature as black. That’s something else I have noted in actual experience.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
A plate carrier is the immediate focus, but I'm talking more in general terms.

If you’re talking about emergency gear as a civilian, the best camouflage is stuff that doesn’t look like tactical gear.

Put a sweatshirt or jacket over the plate carrier. It still doesn’t matter what color it is, buy what’s cheapest.

I own 3 plate carriers. One is black (for duty use) one is OD green, one is coyote brown. They were the least expensive colors of the particular carrier I wanted at the time I bought them.

ETA: if you’re looking to actually be camouflaged in a natural environment, multi-cam is hands down the most versatile.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Multicam
2. Coyote Brown
3. OD Green

Worst: Black

DOUG
Military Police = MP = Mike Papa

Posts: 245 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Depending, I would choose black first. Most of my experience has been from dusk to pre dawn.
I like urban cammo in either black or dark blue.

I had no real choice for least but I had to pick one.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Back in 2013, I had basically your same question on my mind.

I came across a deal on a multicam plate carrier around that time. I was retiring from the Army and we'd begun transitioning from ACU to multicam, ( MC ) I had my issue uniform jackets, pants and tan boots, so the MC plate carrier was a perfect match.

MC has grown in popularity since then, so the availability of MC accessories is much greater now.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post