SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *NSFW Volume & Portuguese Cursing* Thug Life Brazil: Street Robbery With Fake Gun Fail; Street Justice Imposed *NSFW Volume & Portuguese Cursing*
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*NSFW Volume & Portuguese Cursing* Thug Life Brazil: Street Robbery With Fake Gun Fail; Street Justice Imposed *NSFW Volume & Portuguese Cursing* Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I do not live in the country where this occurred and I'm not able to relate to the kicker's living conditions so I will not judge him for his actions.

My guess is law enforcement is very scarce in that particular area and the assailant would have like continued his actions the next hour, if he could, regardless of what he were able to steal using the gun (which is real until proven otherwise).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Very efficient take down, but I didn't really see why the guy in white hit the ground and stayed there. It seems to me that once the robbery went south, it would have been a good ideal to unass the AO pronto.

The last of those right hands to the jaw was a knockout punch. It was a solid punch, right on the lights out switch. I don't think the attacker was fully conscious after that. It was hard to watch those kicks to the head, even though it is tempting to think they were well-deserved. The threat was over, and those blows could have been fatal and might have caused some brain damage.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the victim had been mugged before, and his friends, girl friends, and others, and there is no stopping to the robbing and beating, at some point compassion fades away.

Brazil, in the slums, probably has an extremely low clearance rate for crime. Eventually the population starts fighting back as best they can. I can certainly understand how fed up the victim may have been, and do not fault him.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
As heartless as it sounds, the euphemism that comes to mind is, "Play stupid games, win stupid prises." Fuck that robber. If he could Have taken something off your spouse or child he would. Don't want to have your head kicked in? Don't do street robberies.

Posts: 4814 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The robber deserved whatever he ended up getting. His choice.
That being said I still had a very hard time watching an unconscious human being being kicked like that. I guess I should be thankful to not be as jaded to life as the robbers would be victim.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
To clarify, I took no joy in watching that guy get downgraded to “vegetable at best,” but I also had little sympathy.

This is pretty much my feeling. I watched the whole thing more in morbid fascination than anything else. Certainly not with any sense of enjoyment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
To clarify, I took no joy in watching that guy get downgraded to “vegetable at best,” but I also had little sympathy.

This is pretty much my feeling. I watched the whole thing more in morbid fascination than anything else. Certainly not with any sense of enjoyment.

I’m with you guys. Yes, little sympathy. But hard to watch him most likely dying, going gurgle gurgle on his own blood lying there unconcious. Right up to the first punch, he was doing what he loved.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...The threat was over, and those blows could have been fatal and might have caused some brain damage.

We don't know the threat was over, really. The attacker knew where to find his victim, and could come back for revenge if he survives. At least, that's what I would fear.

As to the risk that the blows could have been fatal or caused brain damage, wasn't that the whole point?

What's that old quote..."Nothing succeeds like excess."

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9164 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It may be naive to assume that all citizens in all countries in all neighborhoods and in all situations should react exactly as we would and should in the United States.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^Exactly. Does anybody here know the dope on Brazilian street violence? Would stopping the attack without the extra violence have led to some future retribution or targeting? I’d like perspective from somebody who knows that culture.

After all, we did bomb Dresden, and seem to somehow reconcile that travesty.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
^^^Exactly. Does anybody here know the dope on Brazilian street violence? Would stopping the attack without the extra violence have led to some future retribution or targeting? I’d like perspective from somebody who knows that culture.

After all, we did bomb Dresden, and seem to somehow reconcile that travesty.

Crook, if only wounded, would stalk victim/ victim’s family.

If we ever have a “SigForum BBQ” here in AB, I’ll tell some stories of my 31 years in Brazil.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
My experience with violent psychopaths is that they do not learn from kindness, but are emboldened.

Pain and permanent injury does discourage vengeance substituting caution and perhaps better social conditioning.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
As heartless as it sounds, the euphemism that comes to mind is, "Play stupid games, win stupid prises." Fuck that robber. If he could Have taken something off your spouse or child he would. Don't want to have your head kicked in? Don't do street robberies.

+1. Did I want him to die? No. But do I feel bad for him or give a shit? Nope.
He likely got his Darwin Award, and one he definitely deserved. Adios bitchacho

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Hilarious watching white shirt guy start in one orientation and slowly spin to another like a clock.

Hilarious? Really?

You are watching a man being killed (likely...given his decorticate posturing), and that is hilarious to you?

While he took an ass-beating, I would disagree about him displaying a decorticate posture, IMO it is a fencing response. With decorticate posturing, the arm(s) is/are bent in towards the body, against the chest. Decorticate and decerebrate posturing are also more prolonged while a fencing response is more transient in nature (also displayed in the first video).

That being said, I agree with you that those were some brutal kicks and stomps, and I don’t find it enjoyable or hilarious to watch.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
This was me in 1991.
I was walking to lunch when a mugger slammed me into a brick wall.
I saw tweety birds as I balled up on the sidewalk.
As the mugger was trying to get into my pockets I got one eye open and could see his throat.
With my right fist i struck at him as hard as I could and I hit a home run.
He fell back off of me and I slowly stumbled up and pushed him over, straddled him and went to beating the shit out of his face as he gasped for air.
I have a crooked right pinky finger from hitting him and breaking it. I have a scar on my left hand knuckle from his teeth.
But the worst is when I saw I was drawing a crowd I got to my feet and kicked him in the head.
His arms went up just like that man.
I can still see his face and the emptiness of his face to this day.

It's all funny until you have to be the one that really hurts someone.
I hope the man I had to stop is ok. I'm no monster.

Looking back, you may feel like you overreacted, but I would argue that “rage” is part of our natural “fight or flight” survival instinct.

In those moments of what may be a fight for your life, your survival instincts aren’t concerned about “what the minimum required force to stop an attack is,” they’re only worried about making sure you come out on top, with the best chance of survival.

In instances like yours where one may have felt like he or she “lost control,” were really just survival instincts taking over. It’s nothing to beat yourself up over.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
It's not easy to forget something that traumatic.
I'm not a trained soldier. I'm just an average Joe.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
It's not easy to forget something that traumatic.
I'm not a trained soldier. I'm just an average Joe.

Try to stop beating yourself up over this, SC. Yours was a natural reaction to a very real threat of unknown proportion, and you simply defended yourself.

The event left you with what probably is similar to PTSD, as did my own misencounter many years earlier than your own. I couldn't sleep for days.

The one positive for me was the classic "Democrat-becomes-Republican" moment, in that whatever misguided sympathy I may have had for criminals was completely and permanently erased. For reference, I was 19 when it happened, and I bought my first defensive pistol on my 21st birthday.

Take pride in an onerous job done well.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9164 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post