SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sonny is stopped at the toll plaza... James Caan passes, age 82.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sonny is stopped at the toll plaza... James Caan passes, age 82. Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear the news. I always enjoyed his character, Ed Deline, in the Las Vegas TV series.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was a pretty good actor and a tough guy to the end. He had many good roles and seemed to play himself-like a regular guy, which is not a bad thing.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride...
In search of El Dorado."

RIP Mr. Caan Frown

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Loved him in Elf

Posts: 33813 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
While I never considered him a great actor, I always enjoyed seeing him show up in a role and liked pretty much anything he did.

Always liked this movie and scene.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
As a kid of the 70's he will always be one of my favorites, Rollerball, The Godfather, Thief, Misery, Elf.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I’m just finishing “Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli”. There are some great James Caan stories in this book.

May he rest in peace.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Will always remember him in Godfather of course, along with Brian's Song and as Mississipi opposite The Duke in El Dorado. RIP Dear Sir.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP. Enjoyed his work in El Dorado and in A Bridge Too Far.

Posts: 4058 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of his passing. I'd forgotten "Freebie and the Bean".

"Thief" especially. Great legacy.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
RIP. Enjoyed his work in El Dorado and in A Bridge Too Far.

Probably my two favorite roles as well. RIP Mr. Caan.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Can’t forget his roles in…
Misery
Chapter Two

RIP, Sonny. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He had a good role in A Bridge Too Far.
R.I.P.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
“The only thing you can assume about a broken down old man, is that he's a survivor.”

Rest easy, Mr. Caan.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Seems that back in the day I would always see him at the Playboy mansion whenever a video of a party there was shown.
He looked like a regular.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
As "Sonny" he radiated a constant hot-headed potential for violence. Even in ordinary family scenes, he always seemed like he might explode-- and often did. As when Michael announces at the table that he has enlisted in the Marines.

As long as we are talking about The Godfather (or at least I am), when Carlo beats his sister again, Connie, Sonny does something I have only seen first and second generation Italians do: he makes a fist and bites his curled index finger. I grinned when I first saw that in the movie.

Similar example of getting details right: When Don Vito tells the landlord, Don Roberto, that he will not forget a favour, he touches his temple with an extended index finger. A common gesture, right? But he does it the way the Italian immigrants did, with the palm of his hand facing forward.

We have had a lot of threads about The Godfather, and Para might not want another. But this is the 50th anniversary of the movie. If you read this, Para, how about a 50th anniversary thread on The Godfather?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news to read

I first noticed him in the series Las Vegas and then watched his other works. I really liked his acting and characters

RIP

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I met Gianni Russo at a feast in little Italy about 10 years ago his fight with Caan in The Godfather was a real beat down. I had a cigar with him and he told the same story he did to ew here.

https://ew.com/movies/2017/04/...ames-caan-godfather/

Posts: 2777 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post