SIGforum
Sonny is stopped at the toll plaza... James Caan passes, age 82.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1960022394

July 07, 2022, 02:06 PM
mdblanton
Sonny is stopped at the toll plaza... James Caan passes, age 82.
Hate to hear the news. I always enjoyed his character, Ed Deline, in the Las Vegas TV series.
July 07, 2022, 02:13 PM
patw
He was a pretty good actor and a tough guy to the end. He had many good roles and seemed to play himself-like a regular guy, which is not a bad thing.
July 07, 2022, 02:39 PM
Dzozer
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride...
In search of El Dorado."

RIP Mr. Caan Frown

'Live long and prosper'
July 07, 2022, 02:48 PM
PASig
Loved him in Elf

July 07, 2022, 02:49 PM
cas
While I never considered him a great actor, I always enjoyed seeing him show up in a role and liked pretty much anything he did.

Always liked this movie and scene.
July 07, 2022, 03:20 PM
HK Ag
As a kid of the 70's he will always be one of my favorites, Rollerball, The Godfather, Thief, Misery, Elf.

HK Ag
July 07, 2022, 03:27 PM
CoolRich59
I’m just finishing “Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli”. There are some great James Caan stories in this book.

May he rest in peace.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
July 07, 2022, 03:32 PM
Dakor
Will always remember him in Godfather of course, along with Brian's Song and as Mississipi opposite The Duke in El Dorado. RIP Dear Sir.
July 07, 2022, 06:38 PM
357fuzz
RIP. Enjoyed his work in El Dorado and in A Bridge Too Far.
July 07, 2022, 07:20 PM
braillediver
Sorry to hear of his passing. I'd forgotten "Freebie and the Bean".

"Thief" especially. Great legacy.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
July 07, 2022, 07:31 PM
Mr.9mm
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
RIP. Enjoyed his work in El Dorado and in A Bridge Too Far.

Probably my two favorite roles as well. RIP Mr. Caan.
July 07, 2022, 07:53 PM
erj_pilot
Can’t forget his roles in…
Misery
Chapter Two

RIP, Sonny. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
July 07, 2022, 07:59 PM
YooperSigs
He had a good role in A Bridge Too Far.
R.I.P.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 07, 2022, 08:01 PM
P220 Smudge
“The only thing you can assume about a broken down old man, is that he's a survivor.”

Rest easy, Mr. Caan.

July 08, 2022, 05:06 PM
armored
Seems that back in the day I would always see him at the Playboy mansion whenever a video of a party there was shown.
He looked like a regular.
July 08, 2022, 05:37 PM
justjoe
As "Sonny" he radiated a constant hot-headed potential for violence. Even in ordinary family scenes, he always seemed like he might explode-- and often did. As when Michael announces at the table that he has enlisted in the Marines.

As long as we are talking about The Godfather (or at least I am), when Carlo beats his sister again, Connie, Sonny does something I have only seen first and second generation Italians do: he makes a fist and bites his curled index finger. I grinned when I first saw that in the movie.

Similar example of getting details right: When Don Vito tells the landlord, Don Roberto, that he will not forget a favour, he touches his temple with an extended index finger. A common gesture, right? But he does it the way the Italian immigrants did, with the palm of his hand facing forward.

We have had a lot of threads about The Godfather, and Para might not want another. But this is the 50th anniversary of the movie. If you read this, Para, how about a 50th anniversary thread on The Godfather?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
July 08, 2022, 06:18 PM
nhtagmember
sad news to read

I first noticed him in the series Las Vegas and then watched his other works. I really liked his acting and characters

RIP
July 08, 2022, 06:28 PM
spunk639
I met Gianni Russo at a feast in little Italy about 10 years ago his fight with Caan in The Godfather was a real beat down. I had a cigar with him and he told the same story he did to ew here.

https://ew.com/movies/2017/04/...ames-caan-godfather/