SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long are the batteries good for in electric vehicles??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long are the batteries good for in electric vehicles?? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
If you take good care of a fossil fueled vehicle you can go 300-400,000 miles (assuming it's a good quality vehicle in the first place). So how many miles or years can these EV go? I just read an article stating that to replace a Tesla battery it had a $17,000 price tag. Plus would you buy a 5 year old EV. What are they going to be worth? Too many unanswered questions for me.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
A simple Google search will show numbers varying from 200k to 500k with a Tesla being anywhere from 250k-500k.

How reliable are these numbers? Probably as reliable as the two new "fossil fuel" vehicles I've bought experiencing catastrophic engine failure prior to 100k miles. Everything is on a scale.

While I'm not a proponent of mandated EV, the technology is still there, these are not unanswered questions. Instead they are ones you don't know the answer to.

Do a little research, if it's not for you then move on to something else. It's an alternative.

The politics behind it are a different story from the science.

A 5-year old EV purchase would depend on mileage, condition, carfax, same as a 5-year old ANYTHING.

If you want to make an argument against EV, then make it more watertight, such as the actual carbon footprint when a power plant burns fossil fuels to charge it and the actual amount of "green" energy used.

I ain't mad at you nor trying to be an ass but approaching an argument this way doesn't work.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I'm not a proponent of mandated EV, the technology is still there, these are not unanswered questions. Instead they are ones you don't know the answer to.

And very likely the reason has has asked the question.

I am very intrigued by certain EVs. I am not blind to the fact that they are still very much nothing more than a novelty for most folks or that they are really no better for the environment.

But the technology and capabilities compared to a traditional combustion driven vehicle is pretty cool in my book.

Ford just announced their F150 Lighting 4x4 Crewcab, standard size bed, and a 300 mile range for $40k base.
I am very intrigued!!!
I like my vehicles simple. I don’t want a ton of options. I don’t want it to drive itself, or flash or shake if I get near a line. I don’t need leather and all these creature comforts.

I also don’t tow or haul heavy loads very far. I also don’t use my truck to travel long distances.

So we shall see what things actually look like and cost when they hit the dealership floors, get some real world numbers on them, and take their product launch hype with a grain of salt.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
According to truecar, they last ~10 years. The other consideration is battery degradation, where the life of the battery at full charge is diminished over time and discharges. Its just like your phone battery won't stay charged as long after a few years of use. You will get less range, the more cycles its charged.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
A simple Google search will show numbers varying from 200k to 500k with a Tesla being anywhere from 250k-500k.

How reliable are these numbers? Probably as reliable as the two new "fossil fuel" vehicles I've bought experiencing catastrophic engine failure prior to 100k miles. Everything is on a scale.

Do a little research, if it's not for you then move on to something else. It's an alternative.

The politics behind it are a different story from the science.

A 5-year old EV purchase would depend on mileage, condition, carfax, same as a 5-year old ANYTHING.

If you want to make an argument against EV, then make it more watertight, such as the actual carbon footprint when a power plant burns fossil fuels to charge it and the actual amount of "green" energy used.

I ain't mad at you nor trying to be an ass but approaching an argument this way doesn't work.

Or consider the little kids mining cobalt for these EV cars, or the fact that charging for normal driving (i.e. more than a few miles) takes much longer than most people think, or that our power grid could never handle the majority of cars in neighborhoods using electric. Do not ever get one thinking it a green choice because it is not.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Ask James May.Youtube link

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
A better question is "what are we going to do with all the batteries when they die?"

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Article in this morning’s paper indicated a 230 mile range for the base version of the F-150; 300 for an upscale version. OTOH, there’s a federal tax credit of $7500 per vehicle, so that’s something.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
A better question is "what are we going to do with all the batteries when they die?"

Bob
Not to sound like a raging Libtard afflicted with TDS, but don't you think a recycling program has been established for this purpose?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Tesla uses a battery bank of 18650 size lithium batteries (If I'm not mistaken). Yes, the car is powered by flashlight and laptop batteries.

I have no idea how much those battery banks cost or how long they last.

I have a 48 volt golf cart. It has six 8 volt lead acid batteries, and they last about 5 years and cost $800 to replace.

The Prius hybrid battery last about 10 years and cost about $2000-$2500 to change, as I understand.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The battery under the hood of my F150 may go three years in Texas.(based on life experience) I understand that the ev cars have a different battery but I don’t think they will last much past that....I give em 3-5....then it’s gonna be $17k to replace them....no thanks, I’ll take dinosaur juice all day

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I did any research, I studied the Volt a bit when it came out. If I recall correctly the battery had a 8 yr warranty, anyway. The battery was always kept in a mid charge, never fully charged, never fully drained and it was climate controlled. Supposedly these things gave the battery a longer life, how long? Who knows

This guy claims -8% after 100k on a Bolt

https://www.torquenews.com/886...h-after-100000-miles

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Bob

Tesla recycles about 80% of the battery’s components currently

There is a Canadian company PDAC (is stock ticker) who is developing next generation recycling capabilities

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6232 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The battery under the hood of my F150 may go three years in Texas.(based on life experience) I understand that the ev cars have a different battery but I don’t think they will last much past that....I give em 3-5....then it’s gonna be $17k to replace them....no thanks, I’ll take dinosaur juice all day

Battery is still under warranty… you’d get a new one free. 8 yrs 120,000miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6232 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Who knows what battery tech will be here in 5, 10, 15 years. We all know the rule about how far tech advances in x years... Today's batteries could be obsolete in 5 years, EPA could determine that they are dangerous for some reason to the environment while in use, any number of crazy reasons.

Best bet if you get an EV is to lease it for 3 to 5 years, no longer than the warranty, then flip it back to the manufacturing company, then you have zero worries about battery life.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a fleet in CA that runs a bunch of Teslas for rent.

They run on average !7,000 miles a month and have gone 500,000 miles on average.

Maintenance is running 6 cents a mile not counting tires.

About the same as regular fleets.

But the run 5x long then regular fleets figuring a normal exchange for new cars at 100K miles.

Tesla owners report a 10% range loss at 155,000 miles.

This has gotten me thinking it may not be a bad around town daily driver.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm intrigued but I think I would prefer closer to 500 mi between charges before jumping as I use my trucks for long road trips. I have no problem ditching 1 tech for another ie ICE vs EV.

Also if it makes roads quieter, I'll take the world without idiots dragging their tiny peckers up and down the streets.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Same here in Arizona, perhaps a little longer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of a 10+ yr old prius with 150k still running strong on the original batteries.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sorry for a slight thread drift, but I was in Shamrock TX and tried to have a short conversation with a Tesla driver.

Shamrock is on I-40 East of Amarillo and not too far from the OK-TX state line.

I gassed up in 5 minutes and decided to drive a couple blocks over to the Historic Route 66 Landmark there, the restored gas station that looks very nice.

Just behind that is an electric charging station. A guy and his wife were standing outside of their Tesla, it had California license plates.

I tried to ask them how long it took to charge up their Tesla so they could be on their way again, but they just danced around and never did answer my question.

So that's the big question, actually 2 questions. How long does it take to charge one at one of these locations? (Yes, I know that information is on the internet.) Do you just stand around and scratch your nuts and stare at your cell phone? As I said, I gassed up in 5 minutes and left the pump. Check the oil, wash the windshield, waste a couple minutes.

And when it's hot out, like 100 degrees, how less farther will the electric car go before requiring charging again?

I can haul ass across the country and just spend a few minutes on gas fill ups and restroom break, but driving an electric vehicle cross country takes a heckuva lot longer. I guess you could add a trailer hitch and a small trailer with a generator and charge it while you're driving. Wouldn't it be a hoot to see that setup at the regular gas station? Just get a few gallons of gas for the generator and you're on your way.

I can see an electric vehicle being practical in the city, not for driving cross country. Hey Bob, how was your 2 week vacation? It was great, we saw 48 different charging locations!

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post