SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for our professional pilots
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for our professional pilots Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I’m curious, what about corporate aviation?

Is that a good job, or not? Pros and cons?
From my observation, it really depends what the corporate gig is.

Some larger companies have a corporate fleet, some corporate fleets support a group of companies, and some are like taxi (netjets, etc).

The ones I see do a lot of waiting for passengers in the FBO, emptying the toilets, cleaning the planes, making sure the food is there on time and just what the customer ordered. Another guy I know flies for one family who schedules flights far in advanced, he has a flexible schedule and loves it.

So it really depends.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m curious, what about corporate aviation?

Is that a good job, or not? Pros and cons?

I flew corporate, turboprop and turbojet. Fractional operations, too, which are corporate aircraft in which the corporations own shares, kind of a cross between corporate and charter, and sometimes both.

I don't like corporate flying. Many do. It's my least favorite kind of flying. With a good company, life can be quite good. With many corporate flight departments, though, the first thing to go is flight operations. Jobs can be tenuous. Companies want you to fly them to a meeting and wait until they're done, then fly them home. No duty limitations, no rest requirements, nothing.

I flew a corporate jet for a company that did communications engineering, overlays of fiberoptic, etc. We flew the crew into Detroit where they did a week long survey of the city, measuring streets, Some companies might have sent the crew home for a week, but this flight department went to work with the engineers in inner city detroit. I was glad I took a .357.

I flew a gentleman and his family into Albuquerque one morning, and stopped at Cutter Aviation. I opened the door, and the man took a deep breath, surveyed outside the airplane, and said "I wonder what the poor people are doing today?"

I bit my tongue to keep from turning to say "Well sir, we're flying you around, aren't we?"

I don't know many corporate pilots who haven't lost their job with little or no notice...several times. I showed up one morning to be told it was my last day, aircraft being sold, thanks for moving here and giving everything up to work for us...for three months, putting money down on a house...good luck. I know pilots who showed up to find the hangar door chained shut, no notice, and others who were on a corporate trip and the department was closed while they were on the road.

There are some good corporate jobs out there, and some lucrative ones, but it's flying I never enjoyed. I did a lot of charter, too in piston, turboprop, turbojets, as well as freight, ambulance, and so on. Lots of sitting and waiting, lots of unpredictability, lots of being on call around the clock. Some good, some great, some not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Corporate is getting better than it used to be. Pay has increased and non-flying duties have decreased. But the nature of it is still, hang out in the FBO and wait. If you want a schedule, the fractional operators are your best bet.

I guess I am an exception to the rule. I have never had to move for a job and I have never been let go or had an airplane sold out from under me. I know many pilots not as lucky. I flew corporate, organ transplant, charter and fractionals. Corporate in jet equipment is my preference.

In the end, it is all about the flight department. Many are awesome and some suck really bad.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Ok...so which regional carrier? CommutAir? ExpressJet? Endeavor? I could help answer questions if he’s at ExpressJet. And I’m thinking it’s NOT ExpressJet, as they have nothing in Dulles.

Just got an email with some pics from him.... its CommutAir.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Then may the force be with him. If he so chooses, he can hunt down some former ExpressJet guys/gals that might now be at CommutAir and ask them the differences between the two. I hope he achieves the quality of life he's expecting and everything works out!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CommutaAir, at Presque Isle of recent:

They missed the runway completely, landed in the snow, or rather crashed but were saved by the snow. No fatalities.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
OOPS!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy Cow. Look at the landing gear jammed up between the fuselage and engine so tight the engine is bent 1/3 in

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They only missed the runway by a little bit...

posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift: I've been to the Preqsue Isle airport by POV, it's waaaaay up in northern Maine near what used to be Loring AFB. It too was once an AFB and was the ONLY operational Snark missile base. Briefly.

"Uh...the Snark???"

Yeah, I get that a lot:

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/snark.html

http://www.strategic-air-comma...Snark_deployment.htm

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KPQI

https://www.flypresqueisle.com/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Soooooo a good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one you can reuse the plane..... is this going to be a total loss? Or might this plane be repaired? Looks like the hull might be pretty well tweaked.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Soooooo a good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one you can reuse the plane..... is this going to be a total loss? Or might this plane be repaired? Looks like the hull might be pretty well tweaked.

It's repairable, but for the expense, there are the same versions of this airplane (XR) that are parked in storage: it's a lot easier and less expensive to simply put one of those in service. Whether this one will get repaired or not, I don't know, but I doubt CommutAir will do it.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
They can use the cockpit to build a FTD (Fixed Training Device) and use the cabin for a training platform for Flight Attendants. That's what Continental Express did with one of its early Embraer 145 airframes that had an "oops" during training years ago.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
They can use the cockpit to build a FTD (Fixed Training Device) and use the cabin for a training platform for Flight Attendants. That's what Continental Express did with one of its early Embraer 145 airframes that had an "oops" during training years ago.
I was departing the Orlando-Sanford airport (SFB), happened to look down and saw a B-727 in a clearing in a wooded area at the east end of the airport.

I asked tower about it, they said it was used for practice and training for fire fighters, rescue personnel, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Remind your friend that there are only three things that a First Officer should say to a Captain:
  1. "Nice landing, sir."

2. "I'll buy the first round."

3. "I'll take the fat one."

Big Grin

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^. So if you’re to be making an unscheduled landing, the best place to do so is on the snow?

Less damage that way, I suppose.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"An initial report from federal officials indicates a United Express flight landed between the runway and taxiway at the Presque Isle airport earlier this month."

Complete article:

https://www.wabi.tv/content/ne...-Isle-507482081.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^^^^So apparently it didn't skid off the runway as intially reported, it missed the runway completely, and on its second attempt. How can something like that even happen?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16315 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
None of us was on the flight deck and I’m not EVEN gonna start pretending that I know and start throwing rocks. That’s what the NTSB is for...

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Aww, rocks are interesting as long as you keep in mind they're virtual rocks.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16315 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post