SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Knife coming up for SIGforum auction: M. Miller Handforged Damascus Drop Point Hunter
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Knife coming up for SIGforum auction: M. Miller Handforged Damascus Drop Point Hunter Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I think I will have to get in on this one. What a beauty!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5905 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I really am not a knife guy, or a rich guy, so I'll not be participating in the auction. However, that is one beautiful knife!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1671 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Report This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I think I recognize that green background.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sotheby's ain't got nuttin' on SIGforum auctions.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43801 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
That might be the most beautiful knife & scabbard combination I have ever seen. The damask blade is gorgeous. What a piece of work-- as much an art object as a functioning tool/weapon. It will fetch a pretty penny, and, I hope, be handed down for many generations. It is beyond my budget, but if it is within yours-- go for it!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Beautiful craftsmanship. As soon as I saw the knife, I thought of the Purdey Damascus guns. What a great combo if you could afford the second part that is.

https://www.purdey.com/guns-rifles/damascus-guns

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Whew, what a beauty. Very generous gift as well.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, the auction will begin tomorrow (Friday) evening and will run through Monday night, 10 PM Eastern time. It will be a separate thread and I will post the link to that thread, here.

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous knife!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A very nice looking knife.
I'm assuming, like other 'forum sponsored' auctions, it'll be well outside of my budget.
So, best of luck to those bidding, I'll watch from the cheap seats.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm assuming, like other 'forum sponsored' auctions, it'll be well outside of my budget.

Well, if you have an eye for quality craftsmanship, research the maker, and know a bit about the industry, you can purchase at a price that will increase over time.

This knife was purchased in 2005 for considerably less than the starting bid here.

That being said, the value is considerably higher than Para's opening minimum bid.

It is not cheap but high quality never is and the proceeds go to a very good cause, whatever Para wants.

The knife was freely given and he could have kept it himself. I have received many times its value here in education, news, and entertainment over the past 21 years.

Oh, and BTT.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The blade looks beautifully made. L6 and O1 are both very good oil (quench) hardening tool steels with the L6 having a little bit of nickel in it to help on the contrast for the Pattern-weld/Damascus.

My own personal knife around the house is O1 tool steel.

IME, both being tool steels will make for an exceptionally durable and tough blade.

Good luck everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post