SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Negligent Discharge at Bud's Sevierville TN gun store this morning...about 10 feet from me :-0
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negligent Discharge at Bud's Sevierville TN gun store this morning...about 10 feet from me :-0 Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My one and only ND occurred when I was 11 or 12. I let loose a .357 magnum round in my parents' kitchen. I shot my mother's brand new Kenmore dishwasher (Avocado Green, which was all the rage in 1973). Blew Tupperware into next week.

Needless to say, I have been extremely careful with firearms since that time.

My oldest brother was fondling my dad's .357 Highway Patrolman one day and failed. Bullet went through the bedroom wall, into the top of the fridge freezer and nearly exited the other side of the freezer. My sister was standing on the other side. I'm not sure she knows how lucky she was that day. That moment has stuck with him for nearly fifty years. I, too, remember it well as I was sitting at the kitchen table at the time.

Me? I was unloading my .44 lever action the day I bought it. I wanted to see just how many rounds it would hold, and when satisfied, I proceeded to unload it by dropping the hammer with my thumb on it. I screwed up once and sent a .44 round through my bedroom window and somewhere out over the neighborhood. Lesson learned, and I was rewarded with a constant ringing in my ears to this day. .44 in a 10X10 room is REALLY loud.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My oldest brother put a .455 Webley round into the floor joists of my dad's store (store was closed at the time). My next oldest brother was trying to figure out hoe to load mt oldest brother's 7mm pinfire revolver from ~1850. He found out that ammo that is almost 150 years old can still fire (it went into the kitchen floor of my mom's house). My third brother sent a .270 round through the ceiling and roof of my mom's house(a .270 in a 10x10 room must've been deafening). I put a .455 Webley round (same gun as above) into the window frame of the same .270 room above. The stacked 2x4's stopped the round (light handload).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw a guy fire a round through the ceiling at a gunshow once. Years before that and before they invented zipties, a friend I was with picked up a Mini-14 at a gunshow, cleared it and a live round popped out. The dealer nearly crapped his pants, swearing that he had checked all his guns. My own ND involved a Glock 23. I was at an outdoor range and shooting from a high cap magazine. I wasn't counting but it seemed like I had fired enough rounds to empty the gun, when the slide locked back. That's when I did something out of sequence. I dropped the slide and then removed the empty magazine. Prior to putting it away, I pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger..BANG. For some reason, the slide had locked back with the last round still in the magazine. I like to think it was to teach me a lesson about gun safety.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

My own ND involved a Glock 23. I was at an outdoor range and shooting from a high cap magazine. I wasn't counting but it seemed like I had fired enough rounds to empty the gun, when the slide locked back. That's when I did something out of sequence. I dropped the slide and then removed the empty magazine. Prior to putting it away, I pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger..BANG.
I did something sort of similar, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as "ND."

When holstering a pistol at the range, if I think that the pistol is "empty," it is my habit to confirm by pointing at a target and pulling the trigger before holstering. Once, I was rewarded with a "BANG!"

I was not particularly upset; the pistol was pointed at a target, so no harm done. The incident did reinforce the value of going through this step before holstering an "empty" pistol.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
My oldest brother put a .455 Webley round into the floor joists of my dad's store (store was closed at the time). My next oldest brother was trying to figure out hoe to load mt oldest brother's 7mm pinfire revolver from ~1850. He found out that ammo that is almost 150 years old can still fire (it went into the kitchen floor of my mom's house). My third brother sent a .270 round through the ceiling and roof of my mom's house(a .270 in a 10x10 room must've been deafening). I put a .455 Webley round (same gun as above) into the window frame of the same .270 room above. The stacked 2x4's stopped the round (light handload).

Boy, I'm glad your family's on the other side of the country! Wink

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I'm glad you were not shot. On the other hand, I looked at those model 10s o. Line a couple times. Overlooking shots fired, do you think those pistoleros would make a good project gun? Clean it up, Cerakote and put different grips on it? By the way, i ordered a rifle from Buds last week and it was finally shipped out yesterday. You could almost say, my rifle was near you when you got shot at!

The ones that I have looked at the counter just showed a lot of holster wear and the resulting surface discoloration/spotty surface rust (no pitting on those I examined) along with usual scratch marks on the cylinders...the chambers looked clean, forcing cone as well. I only examined one bore using my knife blade as a light reflector and it looked good...crowns looked good...

Overall...I would say the revolvers I looked were at were 50%-60% in the outside finish dept. but I can only guess what the grip frame would look like...the grips were UGLY but felt surprisingly good in the hand...

Everything felt smooth through the double action pull, cylinder lock up was tight and the trigger was typical S&W crisp...

I know my counter guy said they do pick cherry the best looking examples to put out on the floor for display...that being said, I'm not sure if the revolvers from online would be better or worse in finish...

One thing I did not look at was the model suffix to see what series they were...

I'm driving back up there with family to go to Dollywood's Christmas lights sometime later this month...I might borrow a Kevlar vest or plate carrier as well as bring my hearing protection and give them another visit Big Grin...

I don't really need another .38...I recently bought a Ruger 3" LCRx...but you never know Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I had one ND around 15yrs ago. I know I must have pulled the trigger but to this day still can't actually remember doing so. A new to me old model Walther PPK. Sitting in the living room had just cleaned it and was chambering a round, boom shot down the hallway into the bathroom towel closet. My wife was at the bath sink less then 2' away. Now I own a gun store and CK, ck, CK double CK all firearms. It is absolutely amazing and disturbing how many people come in with loaded "unloaded guns". Then there are the morons that pull their Concealed carry weapons to fit a holster or CK to see if a mag fits correctly.

One occasion not long after we opened a guy asked to see a firearm small CC gun, I was in the middle of another transaction, I locked the slide back and set it on the counter in front of him went back to handling the other transaction. I caught movement the guy was digging in his pocket, figured he was going to see if gun "fit" fairly common. He pulls a live round out drops it in the chamber and proceeds to drop the slide. I moved pinned it to his chest drew my gun, as I was raising it I was screaming "let go of the gun" while my instinct was saying "as soon as your barrel is level shoot". He let go. When asked what he thought he was doing his response, to this day the stupidest thing that I have ever heard, "I have all this ammo at home and wanted to make sure it fit".

As for gunshow ND seen and heard many Mobile, AL fairgrounds 2005 or 6 guy picked up a 7mag pointed at the ceiling boom, bullet went through a sprinkler head/fire alarm just missed the head and the sensor. The table he was at, every gun was loaded, the old man had just come back from a hunting trip. Wichita we've had a few over the years, most were vendors loading CC guns on Sunday before leaving. Once a blank round in a 203 grenade launcher sounded like a 22 glad it wasn't a flare, smoke would have been funny, later down the road. Same show a guy asked if I had a gun like his carry gun. He pulled his carry out of his pocket comes across the table with it, I noticed 3 things immediately no zip tie, mag installed and finger in the trigger guard it was loaded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2182 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post