SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Look out Jeep! Watch your back Bronco. The Land Cruiser is BACK BABY!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look out Jeep! Watch your back Bronco. The Land Cruiser is BACK BABY!!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They will sell all the ones they make but that falls short in my mind. If you offered me an old Ford Bronco or one of the new ones (not the Sport lol) I would take the new one. Between this and the real Land Cruiser I want the old one.

That one that kind of has the FJ Cruiser vibe is neat looking. Only thing I hated about those was the visibility was horrendous. I always kind of wanted one anyway though.

I read somewhere that these 4 cylinder turbos have a lot of torque on the lower end compared to most sporty car turbos so they have a lot of guts going slow in low gear. That’s what I have read and that’s what the Subarupeople say about their Wilderness turbos. Maybe it’s hogwash, don’t know.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The 4Runner fans are a little more open minded about the TNGA-F Platform.

4Runner fans take on Toyota TNGA-F platform

I'm still sticking with a vintage (2003) 4Runner Limited with a V8 mill (235 Hp 320 Lb-Ft). LoL

Cool! One of my sons has a 2003 very much like yours. It's a winner!

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The LC never really went away, they just stopped selling it in the US. The 70 series is alive and well throughout the world, 6 cyl diesel powered and robust as ever.

Also available as

Double cab pickup

13 seat Hard top

6 seat Hard top

Hard top

The Double cab pickup and Hard top are also available with a V8 diesel.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Man, is the 13 seater ever drool worthy; I’m tempted to send an email to see what the delivered cost to the US would be. Probably more than I could afford but what a beast.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've got a Jeep and a GX, but the drivetrain in this falls pretty far short for me.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3515 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

That's not a Land Cruiser, This is a Land Cruiser!
The Good Old Days. Gone forever, I'm afraid. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bet if you actually drove a new turbo hybrid Toyota it would shock the shit out of you. Smile

I'm sure it would. And it's actual owner as well. Big Grin

When I was younger I always liked Jeep Wagoneers. I remember when the 1988 model came out with an MSRP of over $28k, I said "Well THAT will never happen." 35 years later it's still true. I wouldn't buy a new Jeep even if it was still "only" $28k

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Man, is the 13 seater ever drool worthy; I’m tempted to send an email to see what the delivered cost to the US would be. Probably more than I could afford but what a beast.

Wouldn't some more doors be useful?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you serious?

How would you make acceptable power and torque with increasing emission regulations?

Do you think Toyota is making turbo hybrids for the hell of it?
I have never driven a vehicle with a turbo , nor a hybrid . I have zero experience with a turbo engine . That was why I asked .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't some more doors be useful?

The 13 seater is more troop carrier. Bench seats down the sides. Everybody back there is in/out through the back doors.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m tempted to send an email to see what the delivered cost to the US would be.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Are you serious?

How would you make acceptable power and torque with increasing emission regulations?

Do you think Toyota is making turbo hybrids for the hell of it?
I have never driven a vehicle with a turbo , nor a hybrid . I have zero experience with a turbo engine . That was why I asked .

Damn. I’m sorry man. I just figured that you were trying to bash this new Land Cruiser because of its power train as some in this thread seem to enjoy doing.

I get it though because I felt the same way before I drove one. My uncle who bought a hybrid felt the same way too until he test drove the new Sienna.

I’m trying to be less of an asshole but some times I do fail spectacularly.

A turbo is interesting. The majority of my experience with turbo vehicles comes from driving a FD-RX7 and a first Gen Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T.

Basically in the low revs it feels like a normal (weak) four cylinder. As the revs climb the exhaust helps to spoil up the turbo which builds boost and makes the engine come alive. It’s quite an addictive sensation on the Eclipse.

Think of it as having a four cylinder engine that begins to behave more like a V8 as the boost climbs.

The RX-7 I drove was a twin turbo which by its design is supposed to have less turbo lag or the weak power output at first while you are waiting for the turbo/turbos to fully spool up from the exhaust gasses as the rpm’s climb. It’s a light car with a rotary engine so it’s going to be a different animal anyway and probably not the best turbo vehicle to discuss characteristics because of its unique engine design. My friend in high school had one and it is hands down one of THE most amazing cars I’ve ever driven. They sound pretty awesome too.

If you have an opportunity to drive a turbo car with a manual transmission I highly recommend it. They are FUN! When the boost climbs and you can feel the power increase oh man it’s SO MUCH FUN!

The 4G63 engine found in the Eclipse Turbo is quite flatulent so the exhaust note is entertaining as well. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too have never driven a turbo but have a taken a spin in a supercharged car. And no also to a hybrid or EV (shrudder).

Your description above kinda reminds me of VTEC coming on in my 9000 rpm AP1 S2000 at around 5.8k. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
These motors aren't what stick is used to and they are nothing like the AP1 S2000. I have one of those. I also have a Focus ST, Explorer ST, F350 diesel which are all turbo charged. I had a Golf TDI, also turbo charged. Other turbo charged vehicles I've driven quite a bit are my parents VW Beetle and Mazda CX7.

These motors have small turbos that build boost and torque at much lower rpms. There's no whoosh of power above 3,000 rpm like a motor with a bigger turbo. Instead, the power actually falls off above 5,000 rpm because the small compressor can't keep the boost up with that volume of airflow. It's what we used to call stump pulling torque. Inline 6s had it, while my 304 V8 didn't.

Posts: 10962 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I too have never driven a turbo but have a taken a spin in a supercharged car. And no also to a hybrid or EV (shrudder).

Your description above kinda reminds me of VTEC coming on in my 9000 rpm AP1 S2000 at around 5.8k. Big Grin

Boost feels somewhat similar to VTEC but just a bit more intense and it gets noticeably stronger as the revs climb. I came close to buying an Acura Integra GSR but went with a non turbo Supra sport roof (MKIII) that my brother eventually blew up. Frown That N/A straight six was smooooooooth. I wasn’t too upset as I had already moved on to a Mustang 5.0 drop top with no mufflers. My neighbors hated me. Big Grin

Back on subject….Turbos are a blast. In a small car like an Eclipse 1st Gen it makes for a surprisingly fun driving experience. And that’s before you modify it and increase the boost. Big Grin

I’ve driven an AP1 S2000 and found the engine actually behaves quite a bit like a turbo 4 in that it’s a bit weak in the low rpm’s but it comes alive as the revs climb and it’s an engine that LOVES to rev.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I have zero experience with a turbo engine.

My experience with them is the same as superchargers, and that's going out of my way to avoid them when shopping for used vehicles. Big Grin

(Not totally true, I do have experience driving a car that the turbo was dying. (Very prematurely years/miles wise) 3AM in the middle of the desert, fighting to stay awake and not being able to figure out why the car suddenly didn't want to get out of its own way.)

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys know it’s ok to not be negative all the time.

I bet if you actually drove a new turbo hybrid Toyota it would shock the shit out of you. Smile

The LC was different stickman. It's not about the drop from an 8 cyl to a 4 cyl Turbo, it's about abandoning a line made in a special factory, a true lifetime quality vehicle, and replacing it with a normal car all badged up to be an LC. It's a fraud. It may be a superb car in it's own right, but it won't be an LC. They WERE different. They were, and it may well have been their time to go. And 11 MPG behemoth is a bit absurd. I love them, and didn't buy one in the last year. I'll admit that. But I won't celebrate the return of a badge.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So you are upset that we are essentially getting the new version of this?

Is this also not a “real” Land Cruiser?

The Lexus variant of the Land Cruiser is still offered in the US. Yeah it’s not as good looking but who is really going to take a $80-100k SUV off road? I suppose people do it but this new Land Cruiser is off road capable. Have you looked at its specs closely? It’s not as lame as you think it is.

The newest Land Cruiser that isn’t being sold in the US isn’t exactly easy on the eyes or the wallet.

I’m not heartbroken that we didn’t get this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

This has been hashed and rehashed over and over on IH8MUD (LC forum). A new import that does not meet us standards on emissions and safety stuff would have to be retrofitted so it does. Diesel emissions are a biggie. "Crashability" requires providing several (3?) samples for testing. Even smaller things like the speedometer head would have to be replaced with one that reads MPH, or at least MPH and KPH.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
A $76,000 sticker prior to all that before shipping makes it pretty much out of reach. Guess I’ll have to keep dreaming.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post