SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IRS is holding 35 million returns & answering 3% of Telephone calls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IRS is holding 35 million returns & answering 3% of Telephone calls Login/Join 
posted
National Taxpayer Advocate assesses tax filing season

"The IRS Finished the Filing Season with Over 35 Million Tax Returns Awaiting Manual Reviews
Although most taxpayers successfully filed their returns and received their refunds, a historically high number did not. At the conclusion of the filing season, the IRS faced a backlog of over 35 million individual and business income tax returns that require manual processing – meaning that employee involvement is generally needed before a return can advance to the next stage in the processing pipeline. The backlog includes about 16.8 million paper tax returns waiting to be processed; about 15.8 million returns suspended during processing that require further review; and about 2.7 million amended returns awaiting processing. The backlog resulted largely from the pandemic-related evacuation order that restricted employee access to IRS facilities.
Processing backlogs matter greatly, the report says, because most taxpayers overpay their tax through wage withholding or estimated tax payments and are entitled to receive refunds when they file their returns. The government also uses the tax system to distribute financial benefits.
“For taxpayers who can afford to wait, the best advice is to be patient and give the IRS time to work through its processing backlog,” Collins wrote. “But particularly for low-income taxpayers and small businesses operating on the margin, refund delays can impose significant financial hardships.”
The IRS Received a Record Volume of Telephone Calls, and Only 7 Percent of Callers Reached a Telephone Assistor on the Accounts Management Lines
When a taxpayer needs general information or is responding to an audit or collection notice, the IRS’s toll-free lines are often the taxpayer’s first or second option. During the 2021 filing season, the IRS received 167 million telephone calls – over four times as many calls as during the 2019 filing season. IRS employees could not keep pace with this massive volume of calls, resulting in the poorest service ever.
The IRS reported a “Level of Service” on its Accounts Management telephone lines of 15 percent, with only seven percent of taxpayer calls reaching a telephone assistor. On the “1040” line, the most frequently called IRS toll-free number, taxpayers placed about 85 million calls, and only three percent (i.e., three out of 100) reached a telephone assistor.
“When so few callers can get through to a telephone assistor, problems remain unsolved and taxpayer frustration mounts,” Collins wrote."

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4279 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
What is this "refund" thing of which you speak? The IRS had no problem depositing my payment check in a timely manner. However, they appear to be a little slower than in past years sending me the "you owe $X more in penalty and interest" letter. Maybe they will forget? Or maybe they have a time limit on doing so? Hope springs eternal.

Posts: 6506 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is this number of returns requiring manual intervention consistent w/ prior years? It's just a delay because of wuflu and with employees not going into work? Or is the # of returns in context here higher than normal?

Also, in the context that the IRS has been politically weaponized, wonder what % of the returns are republican vs democrat (or assumed to be as such (ie - gun store). Or is there a real technical basis, agnostic to socio-political demographics, for these returns?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There's already a 4 page thread on this, my refund took 16 weeks instead of the usual 2-3:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/3270022184/p/1

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Be patient. Help is on the way. .gov has their top men working on this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
There's already a 4 page thread on this, my refund took 16 weeks instead of the usual 2-3:

My 2019 paper return too 11 months to process and receive the refund. There were no issues, other than the IRS sent home with full pay every single employee who would normally be dealing with these returns.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Twelve weeks today and holding steady. If you can actually get a human on the phone I applaud you for your creative ability and refusal to give up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm at thirteen weeks and no estimated date available on the IRS website.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16535 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But Biden's request for 40 billion is just around the corner. Sadly, I doubt it will be spent in customer service.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make sure I owe every year. Not enough to pay a penalty - just enough to not have to deal with these types of issues. And yes, as previously posted, the IRS deposits your check within minutes of receiving your return.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My strategy was the same as graniteguy’s until all these changes along with the birth of a child as well as BIG changes specifically with the CTC messed everything up. We are now (theoretically) receiving a decent return. I managed to reach an actual human at the IRS twice and both times they were not very helpful at all.

Don’t waste your time calling them, they won’t be able to give you any info on wait times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Also figure in IRS sent out the alleged stimulus payments.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Yeah, that is what worries me.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post