SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dry aging a New York - Great steaks in a month!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry aging a New York - Great steaks in a month! Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
I picked up a nice New York at Costco the other day. Trimmed a little of the slick fat off and cut a nice section off the good end. The nerve end I broke down into smaller steaks. I wish it had more marbling, but at $7.99/lb, I’m not complaining.
I dried it well with paper towels, and squeezed as much blood as I could from it. The dull end of a bamboo skewer was gently shoved down and through the artery that ran through the muscle, cleaning out any blood inside.
I dried it again and placed it on a resting rack. I took over a vegetable crisper and set the humidity level as low as possible. I placed ut inside and there she will dry age for at least four weeks. Based off it going in on Tuesday the 12th, I would say it will age until Saturday the 14th of May.

You will suffer around a 40% loss. 20% from moisture loss, and 10-20% from cutting away the bark that is formed when dry aging. That said, the steaks should be butter tender as the enzymes break down the connective tissue and the tough muscle fibers. The flavor of the beef is also enhanced greatly through the aging process.

***If you decide to try this, you should know you are taking a risk of wasting a good piece of meat, and taking a risk of foodborne illness. While the risks are low, they are still there. The best way to know without having a lab, is your nose and eyes. If it smells funky, or looks moldy or rancid, it’s trash.
I have done this in the past, and have had great results. The key is having it in an area where the temp almost never fluctuates and where it never fluctuates rapidly. It can’t just go on the shelf in the household fridge. I have a secondary fridge that is rarely if ever opened, so it works out well. ***

As long as the humidity stays low and the drawer is not opened, it should age fine.

I will update this thread from time to time with pictures of how it is coming along.

Tuesday Evening

Friday Morning

One week in

Two weeks

Three weeks

Four weeks

32 Days and the end result!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4021 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I've done that before with mixed results.
Also did a single steak with salt that sat for 3 days. That's all you want to go if you salt.
Looking forward to your results and what you think.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Will be following ! Have always wanted to try this.

I do have a fridge in the garage and think I will see if the bride will let me have a crisper. Think will find a way to test the temp and humidity without opening the drawer ... maybe like the sensors for a roast in the oven that can be read outside the appliance.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you scrape the fuzz off before you fry it up. Big Grin

Too much trouble for not enough reward for me. Slice it off the cow, walk it through the kitchen, and throw it on a plate.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:

I do have a fridge in the garage and think I will see if the bride will let me have a crisper. Think will find a way to test the temp and humidity without opening the drawer ... maybe like the sensors for a roast in the oven that can be read outside the appliance.

Check out Umai Bags. They're basically vacuum seal bags that let the meat age while protecting it, you can basically put your meat in there and stick it in the fridge. They protect the meat and the other food in the fridge- your wife may be more amenable to it if it stays wrapped up.

I don't think I would want to leave a probe in the meat while aging. It seems at best unnecessary because if the fridge is maintaining temperature the meat will too, and at worst it's a vector for introducing outside contaminants into the interior of meat that you intend to let sit to age for some period of time.

-edit- I just reread what you said, and I realize now you don't intend to put the probe into the meat. Sorry, what you want to do should be fine.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Huge! fan of dry aging.
I have a Ribeye in the fridge now that will hit 40 days on the 23rd (so that makes it 31 days to date).
I may take it to 45 days.
It was a spectacular deal that a friend in the meat bus-to-dealers/retail got for a bunch of us.
$6.99 lb for just-under-prime (I always usually do Prime) - choice/select - that looks good on the marbling.
It started out at 18 lb but I am sure it will be down to 13-14 lb or so when I pull it.
PLUS you have to trim the pellicles and hard fat off so you loose even more.
I will render the fat for further later use or to enhance beef broth/stock.

Have several other in the freezer I already DA'd.

I use UMAI bags but would LOVE to have a separate DA cooler.

Yes you do loose some total volume but ... oh that flavor. Cool

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

Check out Umai Bags. They're basically vacuum seal bags that let the meat age while protecting it, you can basically put your meat in there and stick it in the fridge. They protect the meat and the other food in the fridge- your wife may be more amenable to it if it stays wrapped up.

I don't think I would want to leave a probe in the meat while aging. It seems at best unnecessary because if the fridge is maintaining temperature the meat will too, and at worst it's a vector for introducing outside contaminants into the interior of meat that you intend to let sit to age for some period of time.

-edit- I just reread what you said, and I realize now you don't intend to put the probe into the meat. Sorry, what you want to do should be fine.

Exactly sir ... I used a poor comparable. You are correct, no probe in the meat ... just a sensor that can be placed inside the drawer to monitor the temp and humidity.

The Umai bag is a great idea !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just check the weight on mine > now 13.2 lb and went in with 18 lbs (maybe a little less as I did trim it slightly first).

As Guga says I know it doesn't look that good now .....

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Also following - dry aging has been on my list of things to try, I just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Looking forward to hearing about the results!

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Had a boss who was South African, father was a retired butcher. He took a side of beef each year and put it in a fridge outside his home (Dallas, TX).

He would dry age the beef with an occasional rub/brushing of vinegar on the outside of it to keep the mold down.

I did a partial dry age of a prime rib roast one year. Yummy

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Some Prime NY Strips I did last summer, still have a few in the freezer.

Highly recommend to anyone who loves good beef especially.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty excited about the outcome. I looked into the Umai bags, but they just don’t appeal to me for some reason. Probably influence from my best friend of 42 years who is the Executive Chef of a high end steakhouse (and a few other restaurants in his career) and has been dry aging for years. He’s the one I have learned from.

Smschulz, those pieces of meat, and the steaks look quite fantastic. Nice work my friend. What is the second set of numbers on the vacuum bags represent? (10.8.03, 10.5.03)

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4021 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I’m pretty excited about the outcome. I looked into the Umai bags, but they just don’t appeal to me for some reason. Probably influence from my best friend of 42 years who is the Executive Chef of a high end steakhouse (and a few other restaurants in his career) and has been dry aging for years. He’s the one I have learned from.

Smschulz, those pieces of meat, and the steaks look quite fantastic. Nice work my friend. What is the second set of numbers on the vacuum bags represent? (10.8.03, 10.5.03)

Looks like the second set of number refer to the weight : 10.8 oz and 10.5 oz

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's the weight (oz).

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
smschutz ... do you recall what your fresh starting weight was and average weight loss for the steaks ?

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Looks like one whole piece started right around 18 and it’s down to 13.2.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
man I wish I had the discipline and nerve as well as means to do that....

I like beef.. in fact, I'm so contrary that when ever I buy a semi-good cut of beef I always taste some of it before cooking.. yep, eat it raw.. have for close on to 50 years and so far not a hint of "food born illness".

Not to try and highjack this thread but has anyone else realized the disclaimer on the bottom of restaurant menus does not in any way reduce their liability? I need to post that in the
"what's your deal section".

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
smschulz ... do you recall what your fresh starting weight was and average weight loss for the steaks ?

Not on the the NY Strips but on a couple posts up you can see a current DA in process on some ribeyes.
Was 18 now 13 after 30 days.
I imagine it was similar but strip steaks are less fatty than ribeye so it could be less.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have only wet aged beef,

so curious,

why pull so much of the fat cap off the Strip?

and Nerve End?
guessing that is the side that connects to and has a bit of the Sirlion attached? (the part of the strip with the oval bit surrounded by some gristle, that is down near the hip of the Cow

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post