SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dry aging a New York - Great steaks in a month!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry aging a New York - Great steaks in a month! Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Chuckie:
Hey Beancooker...... just zackly where do you live?? Cool

Clarkdale AZ. If you make it here by Saturday, I’ll serve you one of these steaks for dinner.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

Clarkdale AZ. If you make it here by Saturday, I’ll serve you one of these steaks for dinner.

Hey, what about me ?

It is only about 1400 miles and 22 hours drive ... I can make it by Saturday !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

I surely wish that could happen, Beancooker! That is some mouthwatering goodness you're doing there. I never knew about such things.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well old Dino, since chuckie passed, you best get to motoring!

We are down to the final hours!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Original post updated with pics to show the change in the meat as it aged.

So the end result was pretty kick ass. The meat smells great. It’s really strong beef scented, but doesn’t smell foul or gamey. It’s just a rich robust beef smell.

The texture is very interesting. It’s a lot drier than a normal steak (obviously), which makes the piece a little firmer. Once the rind was trimmed off, the knife slid through the meat like butter. It’s incredibly tender.

I started out with about 5 really generous steaks. Thats what I could have trimmed from this on day one. Today I ended up with three petite steaks. I would say it’s safe to say I lost between weight (evaporation) and scrap, 50%.

Now, had I done a whole roast, or a larger piece of meat, the percentage would go down. I would still be shaving off 3/4” from each end, and trimming the entire outside. But that would be percentage wise, a lot less on a large piece of beef.

So of the three steaks I have, one will be mine, one for my wife, and one will be for a friend of mine. I plan to surprise him with the steak and a Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen (smoked beer).

This had been planned as a dinner for this evening, however kids come first, so we will be going to Phoenix with our daughter this afternoon. So I’m not sure the plan. At worst, we have them tomorrow.

Anyways, I hope you all have enjoyed the thread on dry aging beef.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Looks amazingly yummers !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post