SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dry aging a New York - Great steaks in a month!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry aging a New York - Great steaks in a month! Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
smschulz ... do you recall what your fresh starting weight was and average weight loss for the steaks ?

Not on the the NY Strips but on a couple posts up you can see a current DA in process on some ribeyes.
Was 18 now 13 after 30 days.
I imagine it was similar but strip steaks are less fatty than ribeye so it could be less.

That is what caught my "eye" ... was the ribeyes looked to have more shrinkage than the new yorks.

After aging, and packaging for freezing, did you trim all sides of the new yorks (edges and faces) ? The faces of the new yorks that you froze look good.

I really want to try this but gonna soak up all the knowledge I can.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I have only wet aged beef,

so curious,

why pull so much of the fat cap off the Strip?

and Nerve End?
guessing that is the side that connects to and has a bit of the Sirlion attached? (the part of the strip with the oval bit surrounded by some gristle, that is down near the hip of the Cow

The far was already well trimmed. The wet, smooshy fat disgusts me, and it is wet. I wanted this pretty dry to start, and it just seemed to make sense to me.

The nerve end is the larger if the two ends, and as you said, it has the sinew and gristle and connective tissue. Not what I prefer in steaks.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I watch this last night and found it fascinating ... love learning :

Dry vs Wet Aging

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
One week in. It’s looking quite nice. I’m getting quite excited.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Looks great Beancooker !

I just went back and forth between your April 12th and April 19th pics to compare.

Dang, now I am getting the itch to dry age.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to beancooker's final result. Cool

Update to add from my 40 day dry age boneless ribeye I trimmed on Sunday.

Started out with buying a 18-lb cut from a meat salesman buddy for an astounding $6.99 lb choice-cut almost prime.
Aged 40 days with UMAI bags in the fridge.

Net weight pre-trim 13.77 lb:

Trimmed up ~ you can see the trimmings on the top:

Lost a bit ~ just a bit under 10-lbs net-net:

Even turned the trimmings (in-process) into a great beef stock:

NET cost for 40 day dry aged ribeyes came out to a tad over $12 a pound vs $35 a pound at Whole Foods !!!

Got 11 16oz on average steaks about 1.5" and 3 thin ones for breakfast steaks.
Even had one for breakfast today - it was an amazing breakfast.

Highly recommended for true beef lovers! Smile

Posts: 22855 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
smschulz ... looks amazing, love the marbling.

Between you and Beancooker I need to get started to be ready for summer grilling.

I like the idea of a separate fridge. I wonder how one of those small dorm fridges would work especially for dry aging.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the idea of a separate fridge.
I wonder how one of those small dorm fridges would work especially for dry aging.

Fine as long as it stays in the 34-ish degree temp range +/-.

quote:
Between you and Beancooker I need to get started to be ready for summer year-round grilling.

Posts: 22855 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I like the idea of a separate fridge.
I wonder how one of those small dorm fridges would work especially for dry aging.

Fine as long as it stays in the 34-ish degree temp range +/-.

quote:
Between you and Beancooker I need to get started to be ready for summer year-round grilling.

Good point. Not sure if those little fridges get that cold. Maybe there is a hack so cold air from the little freezer inside cools the fridge portion down lower. Gonna do a little research and see what I can learn.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^ That was always my concern too. The only thing that got fairly close in my research was some drink coolers.
If you rig up an internal fan and somehow link the freezer par then you might be able to get to those temps.
Of course that may not be necessary but I always had concerns of the small, cheap dorm fridges.
You never know until you try.
Good Luck

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ looks perfect!!!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ That was always my concern too. The only thing that got fairly close in my research was some drink coolers.
If you rig up an internal fan and somehow link the freezer par then you might be able to get to those temps.
Of course that may not be necessary but I always had concerns of the small, cheap dorm fridges.
You never know until you try.
Good Luck

I read the same about the fan. The other thing is to have a dedicated outlet to the fridge, this helps with keeping the temp constant. Instead of a dorm fridge, I am now taking a look at a small fridge that is about twice as big as a dorm fridge.

Figure if do not open the door a lot, and use an external thermometer to monitor, and think also something like humidity balls (or something like that) used in large cigar cases might be able to make it work the best I can.

posted Hide Post
I’ve done two loins and a rib in Umai bags and they all turned out great. When cutting the steaks I found it’s easier to take a thin slice off each end, then cut the steaks, then trim around the edge of each steak to remove the desiccated outer layer. I left all of the fat on and then wasted it during the final trim so I preserved more of the meat.

I’ve found 45 days to be my sweet spot. Just enough funk to know you did something but not so much that it’s hard to eat.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well, as of today we are two week into this adventure. The meat is looking quite nice. Two more weeks to go, maybe a couple days past that. No reason to trim them and let them sit in the fridge again until the weekend.
I’m getting rather excited.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Picture was taken this morning, post is a little late. Anyways, we are at 22 days aged. I can’t wait!

quote:
The “lol” thread

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Looking really good Beancooker ... ! Thanks for the pics. Am enjoying seeing the progress.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
This is at four weeks (yesterday). Saturday morning it’ll get trimmed of the desiccated meat, and sliced into streaks.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
Hey Beancooker...... just zackly where do you live?? Cool

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Looks great Beancooker, acquiring a taste for dry aged makes it hard to go back! Cool
35-40 days are my magic number aging.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Beancooker ... I am looking forward to Saturday to see the final cuts !

Oh yummers ... Smile