SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    do you have a bridge that eats trucks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do you have a bridge that eats trucks? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
There is a bridge nearby where the clearance is 6' 8" and it makes for some entertainment for pickup trucks. Wink

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Here is a 10'6" one that has some wicked curbs that kick cars into each other for appetizers.

Posts: 2528 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
All these tall trucks and RV's, but not a single car carrier!

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
No, I don’t. Maybe I’m deprived. Or maybe I just figured out a SigForum puzzle…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fredericksburg VA area. This one scares the living shit out of me in my sedan. My work van clears it by around 5", I think I would go the long way around if I had to cross it in my van.

Sorry crappy google pic, don't have one my phone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Deleware, Ohio has s “can opener “ on st rt36.
Well known. I SWIFT drivers!!! Razz

I use a truckers app to keep the roof on my Class A motorhome!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Deleware, Ohio has s “can opener “ on st rt36.
Well known. I SWIFT drivers!!! Razz

I use a truckers app to keep the roof on my Class A motorhome!

The Can Opener is a good one. At 12'7", it just shears the top of the trailer off like a sardine can.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Some of those guys are not Penske material....
Big Grin

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
The Ohio Dept of Transportation has a full time team to evaluate bridges after they have been hit. It is a weekly if not daily occurrence in our state. The sad thing is according to their design manuals the lowest bridge permitted is something like 15 feet.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a bridge in Dallas that regularly chews up trucks. The worst thing though, is that by the time you realize that the bridge is too low there's no way to turn around. The police have to come and block traffic to clear a path to back out.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3548 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a pair of bridges on Lawrence Ave in Chicago between Cicero and Lamon that are 13' 4' and 13' that have eaten many a trailer. There is another bridge around the corner on Wilson that is 12' 6". If you look at them on Google street view, you can see how torn up they are from being hit so often.

Accidents at those bridges were featured on the short lived TV show Wrecked in '08 or '09.

Posts: 930 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Fredericksburg VA area . . . My work van clears it by around 5"

(Picture omitted, no sense showing it again, you can scroll back to see it)
The sign shows 9'2" clearance.

My delivery truck is 9'3". Might be worth a try though, you never can tell -- I might make it through.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30742 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Whadya s'pose "low clearance" means Bob?

I dunno, maybe sumtin ta do wit airplanes?

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I was traveling WB on I70 one summer in my motorhome. There was a multiple fatality that had traffic backed up for 10 miles stopped all traffic. I heard this on the CB we took the first exit and planned to travel parallel to the freeway. There was a railroad bridge I came up on that was close I hit my spring mounted CB antenna. About a mile down the road was a semi pulled over the trailer top was flipped back thebolts on bridge sticking down cut the top on each side edge. These bridges are marked with warning signs well in advance. I just don’t get how you can’t have that in your mind and not knowing how tall you are.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have to have 12’6” or I ain’t going under it.

Gas & time are cheaper than repairs.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
We painted eyes and teeth on ours. It didn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNYPO2sqcU8

The signs with flashing lights going off a block in front of the bridge were no help, nor were the “No Trucks” signs.

Legend has it that some years back, the Coke truck driver got caught by the Maine Street bridge. When questioned, he claimed he’d been under it before regardless of what the sign said. Apparently, loaded vs empty was enough to make a difference.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have pic's but I would guess that there are around $300,000 worth of signs ,lights and barrier's at ours in Davenport,

trying to dissuade the truckers

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54713 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Water curtains

I had to look that up. Very interesting!

Brilliant

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post