SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bitcoin - what's the deal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bitcoin - what's the deal? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It might be the future. There's a lot that's interesting about it. It is in a position to be, using a hot term currently, disruptive.

But that can cut both ways. There are a lot of very powerful entities (thing governments) upon who's power this will impinge if it get's too big. At some point, the empires may very well strike back.

quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
<snip>

The last time I was looking into it, it was at about $1,300. I thought I'd wait and see if it dropped, surely it was just hyped up in value. Surely the FEDs would kill it somehow and everyone would lose everything. It seemed too risky of a gamble to me at that time.

I don't really gamble much, quit playing the markets, pulled even my mutual funds.

My FFL takes bitcoin. Netflix takes bitcoin. There's apps to easily and cheaply exchange bitcoins from person to person now in exchange for goods and services.

It's starting to get more tempting.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Mining is bad, don't do it.

Nothing to see here...

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crypto currency (of which Bitcoin is but a single example), and it's broader technology "blockchain," appears to be legit. Some are claiming it to be the next internet.

It's a new currency technology that's just getting it's legs. A couple things to note before you go digging into this market: Bitcoin is having growing pains, making it too slow and expensive for smaller transactions. There is an disagreement among the powers that be on how to resolve this issue. Apparently, that should all be decided next month.

Additionally, as the graph AKSuperDually posted above indicates, crypto currency appears to be in a bubble right now. Based on my research, I believe crypto currency is ultimately here to stay, but won't personally be buying in until after this bubble pops.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
There is an disagreement among the powers that be on how to resolve this issue. Apparently, that should all be decided next month.

What will be decided and by whom?

There are many blockchains, Bitcoin being one of them and the crypto currency carries the BC banner of the same name. Block clearance speed & method, scaleability/security (goes hand in hand), applications, etc. affect the value. Smart contracts is one area that should drive potential value (in a given BC, such as Ethereum) and it will be interesting to see how those disrupt and add value to crowdfunding.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Where are the throwing-your-money-down-the-toilet memes now?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

What will be decided and by whom?

There are several paths forward to deal with the scaling/speed issue. The miners are debating on the best path and are voting. The vote ends on 8/1. In general the days of making money via speculation are mostly over in my opinion. There may be a little money to be made in the next few weeks.

I'm out at the moment sitting on some cash. Depending on what happens on 8/1 there may be some money to be made. For me, bikinis not an investment but rather a deflationary currency that is easier to deal with than gold.

Dash in general is pretty interesting at the moment. Also, the BAT from the brave browser folks might end up being pretty cool.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Blockchain is great and has tremendous potential for various financial transactions.

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "For me, bikinis not an investment …" Not for me either, but they're fun to look at. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Where are the throwing-your-money-down-the-toilet memes now?

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Where are the Luddite memes now?

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Interesting development:

https://www.cnet.com/news/bitc...-in-blockchain-feud/

Bitcoin splits in two amid feud

Bitcoin Cash is a new strand of the cryptocurrency launching Tuesday in a "hard fork."

quote:
Bitcoin is dividing in two. Disagreements about how to operate the cryptocurrency have led to a new strand called Bitcoin Cash, which is breaking off from the bitcoin system.

Bitcoin Cash launches Tuesday in what is known as a "hard fork" from bitcoin, a virtual currency based on peer-to-peer transactions without any central authority or bank behind it.

The new offshoot is a response to the increasing popularity of bitcoin, which is struggling to deal with massive numbers of transactions with its underpinning technology. The main bitcoin currency is adopting a system called Segwit2x that moves transactions out of the current blockchain, while bitcoin Cash will use bigger blocks within the blockchain.

Only some bitcoin exchanges will support the new cryptocurrency, but some bitcoin owners will find their stash automatically cloned into both types. It remains to be seen what the schism will do to market values.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
http://www.businessinsider.com...-announcement-2017-8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post