SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bitcoin - what's the deal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bitcoin - what's the deal? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Okay SigForum,

Is this a bullshit scam? I bought some cigars online the other day (from an out of country website) and they took bitcoin as payment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Scam, you mean unlike Social Security, deficit spending, etc.?
Did you get the cigars?

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have a client that made a FORTUNE with bitcoin. I think it's a little late in the game to get into it now and make a lot of money.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you get the cigars?

Yes. But I did not pay with Bitcoin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about Bitcoin too. I wonder if there's a book, "The Idiot's Guide to Bitcoin". I'd like to read it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a rather volatile digital encryption based currency, currently undergoing a dramatic decline in trading vs the US $. It's easier to own / transport / store 'on the down - low' than most other currency.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ummm yeah, I'm a blackbelt in Google-Fu. The purpose of this thread (as are most threads on this forum) is to see if any of the members here have personal experience with the topic at hand.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
So you've read those sources and others, and still think it's a scam? Really?

What about the dozen or so threads we've had here on it over the years?

Your post and questions read like someone who has never googled it nor read a thing.

Regardless, the links I posted were actually in response to Pipe Smoker's comment about books, and were nothing more than an attempt at an informed starting point for some.

Use them or don't, suit yourself. But these basic questions have been asked countless times in a myriad of sources for about a decade now.

Might want to get a refund for that "blackbelt". Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I think Skins2881 builds dedicated machines for mining purposes. My limited study suggests two methods of mining: go it alone, or joint venture. Mining could be profitable, but you have to consider machine energy costs.

As for bitcoin, sure seems like it's a legit currency. Many retailers are accepting of bitcoin payment.

You can just buy some bitcoin if you wanted. Just like any other "investment", time will tell if you're the next Buffett.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I bought some cigars online the other day (from an out of country website)

Ooh what'd ya get? Mind sharing the site?

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlayne:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I bought some cigars online the other day (from an out of country website)

Ooh what'd ya get? Mind sharing the site?

Send me an email and I'll respond with a few trust-worthy sites. They are hard to come by, and no good comes from publicizing them in an open forum.

Come join us in the cigar thread!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935&m=5890052153

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Bitcoins are legit. Many real companies accept them as a form of payment.

As far as real world experience, a close friend of mine made about $20k after having bought 20 bitcoins and forgetting about them for a handful of years.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are two categories of issues here:

- Bitcoin as a transactional medium of exchange

- Bitcoin as an investment

Starting with the second, how do you feel about gambling? Because that's basically what it is. Of course people have gambled on this and won big. So how lucky do you feel.

As far as the first. For a libertarian, government-skeptical type person, a non-governmental, anonymous cyber-currency could have a lot of appeal. The big question is liquidity/convertibility into "real" money, and will your normal transaction partners take it. Both of these are in flux.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I really feel silly for not buying a bunch when it was under a dollar per coin now that it's over 1k per coin.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I really feel silly for not buying a bunch when it was under a dollar per coin now that it's over 1k per coin.

How do you feel knowing it's over $2500 per coin?
$2639 usd to 1 bitcoin. Crazy.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The algorithms used to generate bitcoins essentially prevent unpredictably large amounts of them from being created. Basically an preventative against inflation. The Fed can whip up however many new dollars as it wants.

Hmmmm.......??????

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I think this graph speaks volumes:

The last time I was looking into it, it was at about $1,300. I thought I'd wait and see if it dropped, surely it was just hyped up in value. Surely the FEDs would kill it somehow and everyone would lose everything. It seemed too risky of a gamble to me at that time.

I don't really gamble much, quit playing the markets, pulled even my mutual funds.

My FFL takes bitcoin. Netflix takes bitcoin. There's apps to easily and cheaply exchange bitcoins from person to person now in exchange for goods and services.

It's starting to get more tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just found an "Idiot's Guide to Bitcoin", a 105 page PDF file. Haven't read it yet, though.

http://idiotsguidetobitcoin.co..._to_Bitcoin_v1.0.pdf

Serious about crackers