SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A date which will live in infamy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A date which will live in infamy Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
"When I moved to the US and started studying US history in high school, it felt that there were more information about what Japan did during WWII... The biggest difference with the Pearl Harbor information in the US textbook, in my opinion, was the wording, "Surprise attack." It felt like the word "Surprise" was emphasized strongly, when in the Japanese text books did not."

So the Japanese do not consider it a surprise attack, there's a shocker.

I have not seen anything regarding Pearl Harbor on TV, in print or on Google's home page today. Just another day to them.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
My visit to the Arizona and Missouri will be forever in my memory. Pictures are one thing. Seeing the Arizona under the water was another.

There is still a tiny bit of oil making its way to the surface.

May we never forget.
I have been there 3 times. Wept every time. Not ashamed of it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Much less well known is the Japanese invasions of the Philippines and New Guinea starting within days. They eventually went south almost to Australia before they outran their supply lines and the ability to pillage the conquered areas for supplies.
They hadn't signed any Geneva Conventions are were a cruel bunch, neither giving or expecting any mercy from their enemies.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
"When I moved to the US and started studying US history in high school, it felt that there were more information about what Japan did during WWII... The biggest difference with the Pearl Harbor information in the US textbook, in my opinion, was the wording, "Surprise attack." It felt like the word "Surprise" was emphasized strongly, when in the Japanese text books did not."

I have not seen anything regarding Pearl Harbor on TV, in print or on Google's home page today. Just another day to them.

I have come to expect this with Google. Bing's homepage has the USS Arizona Memorial as the background today.

And agree, everyone should visit it.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Every American should visit the Arizona memorial.
And Arlington National Cemetery.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
My girlfriend, who spent several years living in Hawaii, told me a couple days ago that the Arizona Memorial is still closed for repairs. Originally, they hoped to make it available by today, but missed the goal.

A buddy of mine posted pics from the memorial about 9 hours ago so I guess they were able to open it.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my grandfathers was on the USS Portland with the Lexington carrier group 2 days out from Pearl.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

A buddy of mine posted pics from the memorial about 9 hours ago so I guess they were able to open it.

That's good to hear.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I have come to expect this with Google. Bing's homepage has the USS Arizona Memorial as the background today.

And agree, everyone should visit it.

I hadn't noticed Google homepage, and you're right. That really pisses me off. The insignificant and arcane crap they commemorate almost daily, and no mention of this landmark event in our history. Scum. Pond scum!

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Pearl Harbor attack is a classic example of a tactical victory but a strategic blunder. The Japanese thought we would take our lumps and sue for peace, but instead it got the full might and wrath of the United States brought down on them.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The Pearl Harbor attack is a classic example of a tactical victory but a strategic blunder. The Japanese thought we would take our lumps and sue for peace, but instead it got the full might and wrath of the United States brought down on them.

Yamamoto knew. Tojo didn't listen.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Yamamoto did know. And he paid for it with his life.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post