SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A date which will live in infamy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A date which will live in infamy Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, this is not taught in a history class in Japan.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Every American should visit the Arizona memorial.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
As I understand it, this is not taught in a history class in Japan.
Nah the don't cover it or the Rape of Nanking, they just lament about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Absolutely. Sobering Memorial.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
"Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it".

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree. And also Arlington National Cemetery.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is some interesting discussion of how the Japanese view Pearl Harbor.

It isn't that they hide it, but they do de-emphasize it and gloss over that it was a surprise attack.

https://www.ranker.com/list/ho...n-japan/kellen-perry

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll take it one further. I'd say you need to see the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

It is as moving as The US Cemetery at Omaha Beach.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
There is a YouTube video on the Japanese Army Unit 731.

Unit 731 was tasked with developing biological and chemical warfare agents for the Imperial Japanese Army. They trsted them on native populations in Manchuria.

If you have a strong stomach I recommend watching that video. I will not put a link to it or embed it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend, who spent several years living in Hawaii, told me a couple days ago that the Arizona Memorial is still closed for repairs. Originally, they hoped to make it available by today, but missed the goal.

She also said that no survivors of the attack will be able to make it to Pearl this year, due to age and health issues. We are losing these WWII vets at a tragic rate.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting summary. From that, there is the following picture. What's happening here - is that a large explosion that has thrown that much shrapnel and pieces into the air? Or is that ground fire at planes?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think those are bursts of flak.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Unit 731 was tasked with developing biological and chemical warfare agents for the Imperial Japanese Army. They trsted them on native populations in Manchuria.

If you have a strong stomach I recommend watching that video. I will not put a link to it or embed it.

I haven’t seen the one you’re talking about, but I’ve seen some others and done some reading. Absolutely sickening. As bad and worse than what the Nazis did, IMO. And they’ve never apologized for any of it, let alone acknowledged it afaik.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
My girlfriend, who spent several years living in Hawaii, told me a couple days ago that the Arizona Memorial is still closed for repairs. Originally, they hoped to make it available by today, but missed the goal.

She also said that no survivors of the attack will be able to make it to Pearl this year, due to age and health issues. We are losing these WWII vets at a tragic rate.

My VFW post still has a couple guys you still visit the post regularly who are world war 2 vets, but that number is very small across the country for sure. Even the Korea vets are not far behind, and the Vietnam vets many the result of agent orange related disease are dropping fast as well.
Even my fellow Iraq and Afghanistan brothers and sisters seem to be frequently dying off more than you would expect- from my one unit alone I have had troops younger than I lost to leukemia brain tumors ALS, other cancers.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I remember this every year and I'm so proud of my Father being a Pearl Harbor combat veteran. I don't like the term survivor, they were in combat. It seems like this is all but forgotten in our world today.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Koreans, Chinese and Filipino people also suffered greatly from Japanese brutal treatment. The Japanese were racist among the Asian population.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I had the sobering honor of standing Officer of the Deck watch on the USS Arizona twice back in the 1970s. They were very moving experiences.

When I was in the Navy in formation before attending SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, & Escape) training, a young officer asked if there was anyone who had already attended SERE training. A couple of guys raised their hands and were excused. He asked if anyone else thought they shouldn't have to attend SERE. An older guy standing in formation next to me raised his hand. The young officer walked back and with a smirk asked why he didn't need to go to SERE. The guy said, "I survived the Bataan death march and was a prisoner of war in Japan." The young officer looked like he was going to faint and stammered that he didn't have to go to SERE.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My visit to the Arizona and Missouri will be forever in my memory. Pictures are one thing. Seeing the Arizona under the water was another.

There is still a tiny bit of oil making its way to the surface.

May we never forget.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Three men had a significant impact on me as a young man and all were WWII veterans. One was an Army Air Corps B-29 pilot, one a Navy fighter pilot (Wildcats and Hell Cats), and one a Navy airplane mechanic.

The Navy airplane mechanic served on a Carrier that was based out of Pearl but he didn't enlist until after the attack and was based there during the rebuilding phase.

All three men went onto successful flying careers. The Wildcat pilot died 10 years ago. The B-29 pilot is in a retirement home and was chasing the ladies until he became wheel chair bound, and is now 94 years old. The Navy airplane mechanic was flying into his 80s but the FAA leaned on him until he retired from airshow flying 10 years ago. He is a little slower than when he mentored me but at 94 years old he still gets around and is sharp as a tack, if not a little hard of hearing.

I am a better man for having been shaped by these men, and others.

I can't say how deeply troubled I am that nation-shaping events like Pearl Harbor don't get the attention or respect due that they once did...or that younger generations aren't taught this.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post