SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone else go through times where they feel like they have too many firearms and have the urge to downsize?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else go through times where they feel like they have too many firearms and have the urge to downsize? Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
Lately I keep having this urge to downsize my firearm collection. I’ve got a bunch of money tied up in the safe. I also don’t shoot like I used to. Ammo is expensive and there always seems to be something else I “need” to do instead of hitting the range. All of my shooting buddies are getting older or seem to be in the same boat as well. My wife has zero interest in shooting and I always joke that if I kick the bucket, one of the first things she will do is sell all my stuff. I lead a pretty minimalist lifestyle overall and subscribe to the theory of if you don’t use something, get rid of it. I don’t know if I’m just going through a funk or whatnot. I do know that if I part with things, they will get harder and harder to replace, especially with certain items. Does anyone else do this, or do I need to check myself into the psyche ward? Lol

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
You just missed a similar thread. It's now on page 2.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/3610075884

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it a few years ago when I had a gaggle of pistols. Some honestly did not get shot for years so I sold some off.
Only have 4 that I carry now. I do have 2 other pistols but they are collectors left to me in a relatives will.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I've been on a real kick lately that anything I don't use I don't need. I'm starting to downsize things in part because I'm not getting any younger and my guns along with other belongings will just be someone else's headache after I'm gone. My wife shoots but neither of the boys have much interest and we're planning our escape from NY in about 2 years. It'll be hard enough on the kids to settle things from out of state without having a pile of guns involved too.

Where are you going because I will be right behind you. Ahhh, 2-3 years.

I too have been fighting the urge to downsize. Part not really having much storage space left, part wanting to simplify but mainly because if something were to happen me, my brother has instructions to give my wife the code to my safe and she has no idea just how much I have in there Big Grin Then again, at that point I guess I can't get in trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. About 5 years ago, I realized my milsurp collection had turned into a milsurp accumulation, consisting of a smattering of a wide variety of guns in numerous different calibers, many of which no longer really interested me.

I pared it down to just a handful of calibers and categories of milsurp firearms that especially interested me, and sold off all the rest over the course of a year or two. Ended up downsizing about half of my milsurp and surplus ammo collection.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've sometimes gone for years w/o shooting or acquiring any new gun stuff. Then I go through bouts of going nuts on the hobby, as I have recently.

Shooting is the hobby I've had the longest and the only one to which I keep coming back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Twice a year I pull every gun I that own out, disassemble them and wipe them down with oil so they don’t get any rust. Usually those two times a year is when I think that maybe I own too many.

I don’t plan on downsizing but my buying has certainly slowed. There are guns I want but when I go to the gun store I just think “when would I ever shoot this?” and then pass. I have a couple guns I’d like still but the list is getting smaller and smaller rapidly.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. About 5 years ago, I realized my milsurp collection had turned into a milsurp accumulation, consisting of a smattering of a wide variety of guns in numerous different calibers, many of which no longer really interested me.

I pared it down to just a handful of calibers and categories of milsurp firearms that especially interested me, and sold off all the rest over the course of a year or two. Ended up downsizing about half of my milsurp and surplus ammo collection.

I'm in the process of doing this now - getting rid of almost all my foreign milsurps and using the proceeds to procure (what to me is more interesting since it's "our" history. ymmv) several Civil War weapons.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
Lately I keep having this urge to downsize my firearm collection.

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!! lol.

I don't shoot very much, and have a very small "collection". However, I have 2 boys ages 10 & 11. Even though I am getting close to 50, I think my time is just getting started.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a health scare a couple years ago and didn’t want to leave my wife with a mess. I probably sold 20 guns. Really only miss one. I sold off my lesser quality, duplicates and most safe queens. Now if I’m going to buy a gun it’s going to be better quality than the one I am replacing.

I also got my collection down to 3 calibers from 7.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've never felt I had too many firearms and never will for the forseeable future.

And considering that I buy but never sell firearms, I've accumulated quite a few. No record, but a large number.

And no urge to downsize either.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I kind of did that last week. I listed a WG P220 with the intention on selling it to pay some bills. After several weeks and no offers, I ended up finding a trade that worked for both of us. I got a Remington 11-87 Police model and the other guy got a nice WG P220 with box and all paperwork.

Several days later I woke up and was thinking well that doesn't help me pay my bills off and I decided on the spot to sell 3 more guns. I sold 2 at the gunshow 2 hours later and a rifle on AL later that evening. I've never sold 3 guns in one day, but now can say I have.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That happens to me every once in a great while.

Then I slap myself and few times and reality sets back in. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Nope. From time to time I feel like I need to come up with a lot more time to spend shooting, but no urge to thin the herd.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've been on a real kick lately that anything I don't use I don't need. I'm starting to downsize things in part because I'm not getting any younger and my guns along with other belongings will just be someone else's headache after I'm gone. My wife shoots but neither of the boys have much interest and we're planning our escape from NY in about 2 years. It'll be hard enough on the kids to settle things from out of state without having a pile of guns involved too.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did, a few years ago.

Unfortunately, I sold several classic S&W revolvers.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I was in that place a few years ago. I was a professional impulse buyer, I had acquired quite a few guns, and most of them never made it to the range. I have no one to leave them to, and my wife has no interest in them at all. Middle age is a ways back in the rear view mirror, and if I go first, it would be just one more thing for her to take care of.

So, I ended up getting them out, and deciding which ones I liked, and which ones I really liked. I sold off the ones I liked, and kept the ones I really liked. None of them are expensive, or special guns, except for one P226, they’re just the ones I enjoyed shooting, carrying, and owning. I’m glad I had the opportunity to own all of them, but I don’t miss the ones I sold. I’m very happy with the ones I kept, and I don’t have any regrets.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I haven't been there yet. Although my wife insists everytime I tell her I am itching to get a new gun that I don't need anymore. A lot of it for me is I have young kids still and know that they will enjoy shooting. Each gun I own though is bought with a purpose, I dont have 2 of a single style of gun.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Especially those of you with lots of choice P228's! Give em up, you have too many and you need to downsize asap!!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2270 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I do...but I am afraid to get rid of my classic sigs and I regret getting rid of my Dan Wesson pointman. So I am fighting the urge to purge even though I rarely shoot anymore.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post