SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ohio middle school student suspended for ‘liking’ Instagram photo of a fake gun
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio middle school student suspended for ‘liking’ Instagram photo of a fake gun Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
quote:
Edgewood Middle School in Trenton, Ohio, suspended a student for 10 days after he simply “liked” an Instagram photo of an airsoft gun. Airsoft guns shoot nonlethal plastic pellets, usually with compressed air or springs.

According to WBRC-TV, Zachary Bowlin reportedly used his phone to “like” the photo while off of school grounds, outside of school hours, and didn’t leave a comment. Regardless, his parents received a suspension notice in the mail that read, “The reason for the intended suspension is as follows: Liking a post on social media that indicated potential school violence.”

“I was livid, I mean, I’m sitting here thinking ‘you just suspended him for 10 days for ‘liking’ a picture of a gun on a social media site,” his father, Marty Bowlin said. “He never shared, he never commented, he never made a threatening post… anything on the site, just liked it.”

Zachary said he “liked” the photo at around 8 p.m. at night, and the following morning he was called into the office where office administrators patted him down, and checked him for weapons.

The family reported, however, that since receiving the notice, the suspension has been dropped, and Zachary will not suffer any repercussions for liking the photo of an airsoft gun on Instagram.

On Friday, the school sent out an email to parents, saying:

“Yesterday evening school officials were made aware to an alleged threat of a student bringing a gun to school. We act on any potential threat to student safety swiftly and with the utmost importance. This morning, the alleged threat was addressed and we can assure you that all students at Edgewood Middle School are safe and school will continue as normal. Thank you. [sic]”

Superintendent Russ Fussnecker sent a statement to WBRC defending the school’s actions and stating that the school has a “zero tolerance policy” for any inappropriate behavior, including “misbehavior” that occur off school property.

From WBRC:

“Concerning the recent social media posting of a gun with the caption “Ready”, and the liking of this post by another student, the policy at Edgewood City Schools reads as follows:

The Board has a “zero tolerance” of violent, disruptive, harassing, intimidating, bullying, or any other inappropriate behavior by its students.

Furthermore, the policy states:

Students are also subject to discipline as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct that occurs off school property when the misbehavior adversely affects the educational process.

As the Superintendent of the Edgewood City Schools, I assure you that any social media threat will be taken serious including those who “like” the post when it potentially endangers the health and safety of students or adversely affects the educational process.”

WBRC FOX6 News – Birmingham, AL

Similar stories are popping up in various parts of the country. A family is pressing charges after they were forced to withdraw their 16-year-old daughter from school before she could be expelled after she was caught with a water gun at her school.

A recent case in California occurred last week where four students are being suspended for activity on their private social media accounts. The students from Albany High School, outside of San Francisco, are currently facing disciplinary actions for liking or commenting on a racially charged drawing on social media. The students’ attorney argued that this would be no different than sharing private drawings at home and showing friends.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2...photo-of-a-fake-gun/

Link to the local Fox station story:
http://www.wbrc.com/story/3535...-of-gun-on-instagram

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna barf.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Insanity. Need selective comet strike on the liberals Wink

Pray this PC BS is addressed to some degree in next few years and begins to swing the other way. Problem is - this represents a public school system that has become populated by self-serving, liberal democrat robots who's only original idea involved putting butter on toast.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Everyone involved in that at the school needs to lose their job, have their house burned down and then be thrown from a helicopter at 1,000 feet. They are destroying this nation with shit like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
As much as I like you guys it's time to shut down the fucking internet. I mean it. The amount of insanity that can be traced back to the group think created by this unintentional shitstorm of continuous information and media saturation will end us all

Just pull the plug

I guarantee we can get the sigforum pen pal club going

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This wouldn't happen if they listened to me.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Those parents should demand the immediate firing, and arrest of any lunch lady in possession of a knife, or any teacher, administrator with scissors

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Board has a “zero tolerance” of violent, disruptive, harassing, intimidating, bullying, or any other inappropriate behavior by its students.

What about by the staff or administration?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
As much as I like you guys it's time to shut down the fucking internet. I mean it. The amount of insanity that can be traced back to the group think created by this unintentional shitstorm of continuous information and media saturation will end us all

Just pull the plug

I guarantee we can get the sigforum pen pal club going

Unfortunately this is the normal knee jerk response and it is seldom correct.

The issue here is not the internet, it is zero tolerance policies that are taken to extremes due to fear, misunderstanding, and a complete lack of sound judgement.

The clause in the Student Code of Conduct that states that it can be applied to off campus or out of school activities should be relegated to extreme circumstances. Jumping over the cliff at the mere mention or sight of what 'might' be a firearm is irresponsible and should be dealt with. Can you imagine a 16 year old getting expelled for posting a FB picture of his/her first deer with rifle/shotgun in hand as a terrorist threat?

This is nothing more than poor judgement on the part of the school administration and should be taken as a lesson for all as how not to handle a situation.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38203 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Not knowing how 'Instagram' works - how did the school know the boy 'liked' something?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It appears that the school has a zero tolerance policy on common sense.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of shit. I think the student has the right to express his 1st amendment rights, even if it supports the 2nd amendment. He didn't threaten anyone, so where's the problem?

Posts: 1588 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blaming the internet is like blaming guns. It's not the media, it's the idiots.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Superintendant Russ Fussnecker

I'll bet this guy never got picked on in school and doesn't have a gigantic chip on his shoulder.

Posts: 17621 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
“The reason for the intended suspension is as follows: Liking a post on social media that indicated potential school violence.”

I wonder if you can get expelled for liking a picture of a girl? There's potential for prostitution there ya know...

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Not knowing how 'Instagram' works - how did the school know the boy 'liked' something?

I guess they're wisely spending taxpayer dollars by employing someone to spend all their time surfing facebook, instagrm, and what have you.

The Thought Police are here.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
When it goes far enough that people can pry into our social networking and penalize us for our first amendment freedom of speech then it's time to start shutting some liberal institutes down or at least replacing the ones in charge.

I have had it with people spying one me and others just cause they can and they think they have a right to do it without and consequences.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Everyone involved in that at the school needs to lose their job, have their house burned down and then be thrown from a helicopter at 1,000 feet. They are destroying this nation with shit like this.

Stickman, had one too many Redbulls again. I think this is just a bit over the top.

400 feet is much more reasonable.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Superintendant Russ Fussnecker

I'll bet this guy never got picked on in school and doesn't have a gigantic chip on his shoulder.

Googled his pic. Dumb jock.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That's really his name?! Wow. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post